PDA

View Full Version : nothing to do with wing chun :p

stricker
06-11-2006, 05:02 PM
ok i saw this post on another forum by a mma fighter who comes from a tai chi wing chun jeet kune do background going into his approach a little.

i think hes in the top 10 welterweight pro mma in the uk, and has had a lot of fights.

anyway responding to someone who just dissed wing chun compared to boxing :

Wing chun isnt useless against boxing, just has to be cofigured properly.
I fight in MMA to test myself and evolve.
I started wingchun from 14 till 20 done bits of muay thai and karate but nothing relevent.
I then started training with Neil Rosiak who taught Wu Dan Tai Chi Chuan. He taught its applications and taught solid basics ie padwork, structure of stance. I was lucky he also had a MMA backround.
Now i have recently started training BJJ with Eddie Kone. He's got amazing floorwork and even better every lesson is like a seminar for me.
Will have filthy floor work in 6 months mark my words.
I will make the point of what people get out of what styles they practice.
In a way im doing jkd from perspective, i havnt joined those schools of JKD just the idea behind it i suppose. Now every one knows how my floor work is from my fights, very basic. Now using what i know from wingchun watch how fast my floorwork improves caus its helping me understand the BJJ better.

I use wing chun in my fights and a million other things, but my base is wingchun. It suits me so well to do BJJ now though, I understand the mechanics and its just a matter of incorporating it and Repping things thousands of times.
JKD is top mate as is every other style, just a matter of being able to do anything when it counts using that style.
I see all these as tools. I building my volcabulary, I will make words with these.
Just to prove that wing chun isnt usless in a cage and other styles like tai chi. ( try getting power slammed by someone like Abdul mo. and see how handy yielding becomes when taken down)
I will fight in Pride between 23 Oct 06 and 22 Oct 07 because I will be such an unstoppable force not caus of who I know or what title I have.
I like opening my mouth to put myself in a position like this. Means im going to work extra hard and deliver. Sami Berik.

his next fight should be v.interesting :p

maybe this is headed straight off the board too :rolleyes: