PDA

View Full Version : Key words

ironfenix
06-14-2006, 12:42 PM
This is a general mantis question:
What are the original key words?
Ou Lou Tsai comes out of this peom, so how did wang Lang/yi qi create those words. Also isn't rap around and searl part of the plum flower key words? Did he really create 12? If so, why do different styles not match up with which 12?

1. In the beginning there was "Long-range Boxing" (Chang Quan) style of emperor Tai Zu.
2. "Through the Back" (Tongbei) boxing of Master Han Tong's considered parental.
3. Hand technique "Rap Around and Seal" (Chan Feng) of Master Zhang En is especially profound.
4. "Close-range Strikes" (Duanda) boxing of Master Ma Ji is the most remarkable.
5. It is impossible to come close to Master Huang You who knows the "Close Range Hand Techniques" (Kao Shou).
6. The technique "Blocking Hands and Following Trough Fist" (Keshou Tongquan) of Master Jin Xiang;.
7.The hand techniques of "Hooking, Scooping and Grabbing Hands" (Gou Lou Cai Shou) of Master Liu Xing.8.The "Methods of Sticking, Grabbing, and Falling" (Zhanna Diefa) of Master Yan Qing.
9. The "Short Boxing"(Duan Quan) of Master Wen Yuan is the most extraordinary.
10. The style "Monkey Boxing" (Hou Quan) of Master Sun Heng is also flourishing.
11.The "Cotton Fist"(Mien Quan) techniques of Master Mien Shen is lightning fast.
12. The "Throwing-Grabbing and Hard Crashing" (Shuailue Yingbeng) techniques by Master Huai De.
13.The technique of "Ducking, Leaking and Passing through the Ears" (Gunlou Guaner) of Master Tan Fang.
14. The strongest leg kicking technique is "Mandarin ducks kick " (Yuanyang Jiao) of Master Lin Chong.
15.The "Seven Postures of Continuous Fist Strikes" (Qishi Lianquan) techniques by Master Meng Su.
16. "Hand Binding and Grabbing" (Kunlu Zhenru) techniques of Master Yang Gun attack instantly.
17.The techniques of "Explosive Strikes into the Hollow Parts of the Body" (Woli Paochui) by Master Cui Lian.
18. "Praying Mantis" (Tanglang) boxing of Master Wang Lang absorbed and equalized all previous techniques.

thanks
israel

mantis108
06-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, that really is the 6,4000 dollars question, my friend.

This is a general mantis question:
What are the original key words?

I believe the original idea of the Tanglang Keywords came from the "synopsis of hand method" (ie 8 strikes/8 forbiden strikes, 8 Rigid 12 fluid, etc) found in the Shaolin Authentic. There is evidence that Liang Xuexiang originally taught 5 hands which is also known as 5 old hands that is included in the Luanjie. There is an entry, the explanation of 12 mantis strikes (Tanglang Da), immediately following the Luanjie title description in Liang's "Boxing, Staff and Spear" manuscript. BTW, there is a version in Li Qunshan's line that's 13 strikes instead of 12. These 12 strikes seems to be the prototypical version of the 12 keywords of Great Meihwa Line. There are drills that taught these keywords in the GML as far as I am aware.

Ou Lou Tsai comes out of this peom, so how did wang Lang/yi qi create those words.

It is of note that Wang Lang is a legend in the mantis community similar to Bodhidharma is a legendary founder of Shaolin Kung Fu. There is a Wang Lang mentioned in the Shaolin Authentic but that's as far as the "credibility" of the Shaolin Authentic as a "scholarly" work can sustain. Yi Qi or Yu Qi was a insurgent during the late Ming and early Qing dynasty. It has been contested and debated that Yu was not the same person of Wang Lang.

The sonnet (poem as you called it) is believed to be a rendition of various Ming dynasty martial manuscripts' exerpts. It serves little purpose other than reinforces that ideal that Tanglang is formed by a basketful of arts and techniques that were once available in the Shandong Laizhou, Laiyang, etc area as well.

Also isn't rap around and searl part of the plum flower key words? Did he really create 12? If so, why do different styles not match up with which 12?

All known versions of 12 keywords are either based in the 5 old hands and/or 12 Tanglang Da IMHO.

1. In the beginning there was "Long-range Boxing" (Chang Quan) style of emperor Tai Zu.
2. "Through the Back" (Tongbei) boxing of Master Han Tong's considered parental.
3. Hand technique "Rap Around and Seal" (Chan Feng) of Master Zhang En is especially profound.

Tai Zu, Han Tong and Zhang En are all characters found in the novel "Fei long Chuan Zhuan" which is the story about the advantures of Song Taizu before he came to the throne.

4. "Close-range Strikes" (Duanda) boxing of Master Ma Ji is the most remarkable.
5. It is impossible to come close to Master Huang You who knows the "Close Range Hand Techniques" (Kao Shou).
6. The technique "Blocking Hands and Following Trough Fist" (Keshou Tongquan) of Master Jin Xiang;[/quote]

no comment yet...

7.The hand techniques of "Hooking, Scooping and Grabbing Hands" (Gou Lou Cai Shou) of Master Liu Xing.

3 out of five hands of Liang's are here. The other 2 are Gua and Pi.

8.The "Methods of Sticking, Grabbing, and Falling" (Zhanna Diefa) of Master Yan Qing.

Zhanna Diefa is also one of the old names of Chin Na method. Yan Qing is also a character in the Novel "water margin".

9. The "Short Boxing"(Duan Quan) of Master Wen Yuan is the most extraordinary.

There was a famous Wen Jia Xing Quan during Ming and Qing dynasty time.

10. The style "Monkey Boxing" (Hou Quan) of Master Sun Heng is also flourishing.

This is also famous during Ming dynasty.

11.The "Cotton Fist"(Mien Quan) techniques of Master Mien Shen is lightning fast.

According to my friend in Fanzi this is a type of Fanzi called Mien Zhang Fan which has one inch type of jing (power)

12. The "Throwing-Grabbing and Hard Crashing" (Shuailue Yingbeng) techniques by Master Huai De.[quote]

Huai De could be Gao Huai De who is also another character in the Fei Long Chuan Zhuan

[quote]13.The technique of "Ducking, Leaking and Passing through the Ears" (Gunlou Guaner) of Master Tan Fang.

no comment...

14. The strongest leg kicking technique is "Mandarin ducks kick " (Yuanyang Jiao) of Master Lin Chong.

I believe this is Chuo Jiao which is the sister art to Fanzi. Lin Chong is also a character in the "water margin"

15.The "Seven Postures of Continuous Fist Strikes" (Qishi Lianquan) techniques by Master Meng Su.

This is planted as the intro to legitimize the Qishi Lianquan later found in the main text IMHO.

16. "Hand Binding and Grabbing" (Kunlu Zhenru) techniques of Master Yang Gun attack instantly.
17.The techniques of "Explosive Strikes into the Hollow Parts of the Body" (Woli Paochui) by Master Cui Lian.

No comment...

18. "Praying Mantis" (Tanglang) boxing of Master Wang Lang absorbed and equalized all previous techniques.

This is actually the introduction about the synopsis of short strike or hand method (Shou Fa Zhong Lun) found later in the main text. It's original intend was not about how invincible Tanglang is IMHO. But it got to that point when people started to interpert the "poem". The sonnet is concocted to introduce the relatively new art that is known as Luohan Xinggong Duanda which is said to be the malgramation of 18 styles. So...

just my 2 cents worth on the matter.

Mantis108

ironfenix
06-15-2006, 10:21 AM
It's Official!!! I know nothing! I just got an email from kevin b. & after reading your post it is evident that either both of you are completely wrong or I know very little of this stuff. I think it is safer to go with the latter ;) . Thank you for your reply, it will definitely take some time to digest. Does anyone know where I can find some kung fu alka-seltzer? I here Kevin is writing a book about this stuff. Can't wait to read it.

Mantis 108
I believe the original idea of the Tanglang Keywords came from the "synopsis of hand method" (ie 8 strikes/8 forbiden strikes, 8 Rigid 12 fluid, etc) found in the Shaolin Authentic.

Where Can I find Shaolin Authentic? Preferably in English? This stuff is very interesting!

Thanks
Israel

mantis108
06-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I actually knows very little about it too. :( The study of Tanglangquan is an enormous task that could take one life time at least to just scratch the surface. So it best if we all can brain storm about it. :)

Anyway, I can find you a summary of the various version of the Shaolin Authentic floating out there. At this point it's in Chinese only. I hope Kevin and others who have the ability to translate would help out with the following text:

Version one:

1刁手兄的拳谱目录
目录为短打序论、十戒、行功积力、锤掌功夫、诸家手法

Version two (Huo RuiTing's Qixing Tanglang version):

2霍兄的拳谱目录
螳螂拳概论,三不传、十戒、十要、十八罗汉短打序、长拳纲要、论翻车辘轳六六三十六捶、论扣手翻车、论崩砸 劈砍、论螳螂手法、论步法手法四方八面说略、八打八不打、前七、后九十六趟拳谱和说略、螳螂打六趟拳谱翻车 打四趟拳谱、九转十八跌拳谱、破骨打八趟拳谱、还有送沙袋歌气力歌、周身软硬歌、、操练捶掌歌、软硬虚实歌 、巧力歌、行功歌、手脚歌。

Version three (Liu Lianyang AKA Xiao Yang close to Tanglang Quanpu version):

3小羊的拳谱目录
螳螂十八罗汉短打序、十戒、行功时有歌八句、短打要论、手法纲目、翻车辘辘捶、六六三十六、八打八不打、八 刚十二柔、七势集连拳、总是十八凑、全身十二捶、闪转双手扣、手法总论、七长八短、连拳、长拳即短打短打要 长拳
短打九九十一变化歌诀、前七趟、硬崩实砸、扣手翻车、前七趟略说、硬崩实砸略说、扣手翻车略说、后九趟、螳 螂打六趟、翻车打四趟、九转十八跌二十趟、破骨打八趟、撩阴脚十二法

Note: this is also very close to Wang Yifu's article (1934).

Version four (Shaolin Authentic - also believe to be Luo Guangyu's Qixing version):

4《少林衣钵真传》为手抄本,卷首有“咸丰五年岁在乙卯崂西斋”字样,由之看来应是咸丰时人抄录。该书有的 抄本又名为《短打秘钥》,但由卷四有“重订增补罗汉行功短打序”看来,该书可能最早应名为《罗汉行功短打》 。
《少林衣钵真传》共分四卷,
卷一亦名为《少林衣钵真传》,为总论;
卷二为《绘象罗汉短打变式》,均讲拳法;
卷三为《绘象罗汉兵刃全式》,讲各式器械;
卷四为 《绘象罗汉行功全谱》,讲内功导引之 “十八罗汉势”。
《少林衣钵真传》中有类似于序的文章一篇,又有一“重订增补罗汉行功短打序”,按此两序所云,则《少林衣钵 真传》乃升宵道人所著,弗遑道人得自于升宵道人处。书中内容则是升宵道人初学于少林寺福居禅师、后学于峻山 某少林僧的总结。升宵道人手中原来可能有个最初的本子,所以前序中升宵道人说:“所受形图注释粗成,意欲传 后”;后序中升宵道人说:“短打者,少林福居禅师所著也”。但升宵道人又作了增删修改,所以他在前序中说: “今将敬书于纸,留赠后贤”;在后序中说:“因摹拟想象,重为编辑,间参己见,补所未有”,并在《罗汉行功 短打》名前加上了“重订增补”字样。

I am more familiar with version three which is also incorporated into Cui Shoushan's Tanglang Quanpu (1935). Elements of it also found in Liang Xue Xiang's Quanpu (1842 & 1852) long before Cui's time.

Warm regards

Mantis108

mantis108
06-15-2006, 11:25 AM
From version three:

<<<Version three (Liu Lianyang AKA Xiao Yang close to Tanglang Quanpu version):

3小羊的拳谱目录
螳螂十八罗汉短打序、十戒、行功时有歌八句、短打要论、手法纲目、翻车辘辘捶、六六三十六、八 打八不打、八 刚十二柔、七势集连拳、总是十八凑、全身十二捶、闪转双手扣、手法总论、七长八短、连拳、长拳 即短打短打要 长拳
短打九九十一变化歌诀、前七趟、硬崩实砸、扣手翻车、前七趟略说、硬崩实砸略说、扣手翻车略说 、后九趟、螳 螂打六趟、翻车打四趟、九转十八跌二十趟、破骨打八趟、撩阴脚十二法

Note: this is also very close to Wang Yifu's article (1934). >>>

手法纲目 or 行手纲目 (synopsis of hand method)

翻车辘辘捶、六六三十六 (Fanche Lulu fist, 6*6=36)
八打八不打、八 刚十二柔 (8 strikes 8 forbiden strikes, 8 rigid 12 fluid)
七势集连拳、总是十八凑 (7 stance collected connected fist, Total of 18 components)
全身十二捶、闪转双手扣 (entire body 12 fist, dodging deceiving double hand knocking)

As we can see this is where all the fundamental principles and theories of Tanglang came from. There are 5 characters to these 8 lines (does that ring a bell or what?) ;) We can see the deliberate design (5 phases & 8 trigrams) with the playing of the words. :) There are more example of that throught out the entire text.

So whoever wrote this work was very well versed in the Yijing (classic of change)

Hope this will be a start for further discussion.

Warm regards

Mantis108