PDA

View Full Version : Governing Bodies

Minghequan
06-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Is there a need for Governing Bodies within the martial arts.

I am a member in good standing of the Martial Arts Industry Association (http://www.maia.com.au/) and the International Martial Arts Alliance (http://www.martialartalliance.com/) and find these groups to be helpful and positive in their aims for the martial arts especially in the area of martial arts bona-fides and Accreditation.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

jethro
06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Is there a need for Governing Bodies within the martial arts.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

yes, and they need to start with some of these martial arts groups in Australia.

Minghequan
06-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Jethro,

Thanks for your usual unbiased and intellectual response. :)

jethro
06-14-2006, 09:56 PM
no problem

Blacktiger
06-14-2006, 10:48 PM
no problem

Dont paint everyone with the same brush you muppet.

jethro
06-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Ill Stick By My Opiniom, Gonzo

Shaolin Master
06-15-2006, 08:12 AM
There are those that need them and those that do not....
like everything in life purpose is relative....

In Aus those associations are fairly meaningless ....

Regards
Wu chanlong

B-Rad
06-15-2006, 08:55 AM
I don't see any need for governing bodies. They're fine as sports leagues for competition, but not when it comes to determining who's qualified or not qualified to teach. When it comes to instructor certification or anything like that, it's more likely to end up as just a means for a small group of people to promote themselves and their buddies. The only kind of national certification I think I'd get behind is something that certifies some really basic athletic coaching type requirements like first aid training, or other basic safety issues.

Royal Dragon
06-15-2006, 09:07 AM
yes, I agree. Sort of like personal training certs.

Minghequan
06-15-2006, 04:43 PM
B-rad wrote:

I don't see any need for governing bodies. They're fine as sports leagues for competition, but not when it comes to determining who's qualified or not qualified to teach. When it comes to instructor certification or anything like that, it's more likely to end up as just a means for a small group of people to promote themselves and their buddies. The only kind of national certification I think I'd get behind is something that certifies some really basic athletic coaching type requirements like first aid training, or other basic safety issues.

Very good point! The Martial Arts Industry Association's (MAIA) primary aim is to support the industry and safeguard the public. It has a National Code of Conduct that all members must follow and one of it's primary aims is Instructor Accreditation similar to that you described in your post:

The only kind of national certification I think I'd get behind is something that certifies some really basic athletic coaching type requirements like first aid training, or other basic safety issues.

Royal Dragon,

Thanks for your post. It's good that we can communicate without the unnecessary politics and negativity. I agree, certificates mean very little when it comes to martial skill. Thanks for your input.