PDA

View Full Version : Zen meditation

TzuChan
05-20-2001, 08:06 PM
Does anybody here practices it ? Do you really need a trainer for it or can you learn it on your own with some god books ?

You practice Wing Chun ? COntact me on my icq ! 71470721(my name there is "vision")

RickMatz
05-21-2001, 01:37 PM
I don't practice Zen, but I have been practicing YiQuan, which has similar qualities.

Two books that I've found most helpful are:

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Suzuki
A Path with Heart by Kornfield

Two websites about YiQuan that I've found helpful are:

www.yiquan.com.pl (http://www.yiquan.com.pl)
members.surfeu.fi/yiquan

Good training.

Best Regards,

Rick Matz

Discipline is remembering what you want.

TzuChan
05-21-2001, 05:39 PM
Do you need a trainer for it or can you learn it on your own ?

You practice Wing Chun ? COntact me on my icq ! 71470721(my name there is "vision")

RickMatz
05-21-2001, 06:51 PM
I can't write specifically about sitting Zen meditation, but I can comment on the standing stake practice that I do.

With some good directions, and a lot of self awareness, you could probably get off to a good start. Expert feedback always helps.

Ultimately, we always are our own teacher.

Best Regards,

Rick Matz

Discipline is remembering what you want.

monkey mind
05-27-2001, 09:11 PM
I used to sit with a Zen group (Diamond Sangha in Seattle). I would 2nd the recommendation to read Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. Another good book is Robert Aitken's The Path of Zen (I think that's right). From these books, especially Aitken's, y ou can learn some basic meditation techniques that you can practice fruitfully on your own. However, I have found that for real development in my practice, it is helpful to have a community and an insightful instructor. They can provide moral support, m otivation, and help in avoiding some pitfalls in your practice. Just my 2 cents....

Internal Flow
05-28-2001, 07:51 AM
I think you should read "The Unfettered Mind" written by Takuan Soho. It is the only book on Zen i have read but i think it is a good one, it explains the basics of Zen and it is good for begginers (i may be wrong) :)

origenx
10-14-2001, 07:36 PM
I had a thought that commercial marketing is very Zen - it typically uses images rather than words to convey the true nature of the product.

For example, take beer for instance. When you see a beer commercial - some guy doesn't show up and narrate scrolling text telling the ingredients of beer, how beer is made from rotten hops and how great it tastes. No, you simply see flashy images of a bunch of bikini models splashing around to "Mississippi Queen" (Mountain) riffs. Which actually strikes to the true nature of beer - a social aphrodisiac that promises young men peer acceptance, popularity, fun and luck with hot bikini models. Drrrn, nrr nrr nrr nuh!

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-22-2001, 09:47 PM
"Ultimately, we always are our own teacher."

my sifu agrees. he says that it's nice to have him there to help guid you away from some common pitfalls and to see if you are making progress, but ultimately it's got to be something that you achieve on your own. too much of it is too hard to put into words ... allot of it is probibly impossible to describe accurately in words.

i think you could definately go all the way (whatever that means . . enlightenment i guess) on your own, it just may take longer without someone to steer you in the right direction.

i'd be willing to bet that 90% of the teachers you could go to are nothing more than new age hippies making lots of money. you would actually be better off on your own than with one of these guys. i really think it would be next to impossible to find a legit instructor. i have never tried, so i could be wrong, i was lucky enough to cross paths with a good sifu. actually you might be better off seeking out a legit martial arts school that has you meditate (on your own or in class) for this type of guidance.

where's my beer?