PDA

View Full Version : Is he any good

sir-elrik
06-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Here are some videoshttp://www.yongchun.gr/video.htm from the school i train. The different name is due some politics but its wing chun. I was wondering what r yr comments about the sifu?

hunt1
06-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Since I almost never visit here anymore I will not be PC . From the vids I judge this to be Leung Ting wing chun. It is as good as any LTWC I have seen. With that said if compared to other wing chun it is garbage. No body stucture,no body usage. All fast hands,look at me how good I am junk. Bad surprise coming if it ever has to be used against a trained person in a real fight. If its the only wing chun around its ok. It will teach you the basics and some fun drills just look for a wing chun person that understands how to use their body in the future to teach you how use wing chun.

Also the inch punch demo isnt. He pulls his hand back before he strikes. Proof on film he doesnt understand what he thinks he is doing.

TomasWTUK
06-15-2006, 09:12 AM
From the vids I judge this to be Leung Ting wing chun. It is as good as any LTWC I have seen. With that said if compared to other wing chun it is garbage.

In order:

I agree, this chap is probably (ex) LTWT

It is not a great example of LTWT and if this is as good as you have seen of our line, then that is a shame. I have seen and trained with very much better; as have others in my lineage I am sure.

This chap's WT/WC might be garbage, it might not, but there are probably individuals in every lineage who are exceptional and an equal number who are toss.

Elrik, if you are happy with your training at this school, then cool. If you are having doubts, I would suggest that you investigate other sources of WC/T personally, rather than rely on advice given from anyone on the strength of a couple of vid clips.

Happy days,

Tom

planetwc
06-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Greedy to hit.

Here are some videoshttp://www.yongchun.gr/video.htm from the school i train. The different name is due some politics but its wing chun. I was wondering what r yr comments about the sifu?

Lindley
06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Sir-Elrik,

Your Sifu's ability cannot be judged on a video. Some points were mentioned that an advanced martial artist could detect. However, judging by his partners, this video may have been done for demonstration purposes. We should refrain from calling it "garbage" and disrespecting this man. Instead, judge him for how good you become...

splinter
06-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Sir-Elrik,

Your Sifu's ability cannot be judged on a video. Some points were mentioned that an advanced martial artist could detect. However, judging by his partners, this video may have been done for demonstration purposes. We should refrain from calling it "garbage" and disrespecting this man. Instead, judge him for how good you become...

I disagree. It's one thing to reserve judgement when the video doesn't actually reveal anything that can be used to form an oppinion, but I'm not sure that's the case here.

I agree with hunt1. There's no connection to the ground. No rootedness. To me this is something so fundamental that it really calls into question the quality of the man's wing chun.

Clearly these are just demo videos, but that might means they're not going full contact, and it's a bit coreographed. It doesn't mean you throw away your fundamentals.

stricker
06-15-2006, 12:43 PM
With that said if compared to other wing chun it is garbagesorry mate gotta call you out thats bull****.

k gledhill
06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
give it all youve got ! train hard , fight/spar often in class as fighting for real its its own teacher and you can make your own conclusions about what is crap and what will work. listen to your nose, if it gets hit a lot move sideways and flank :D
in real life hit hard and then kick them in the head when they are down, all the fast hands ~inch punch~ leg catching is just 'martial arts demo ' stuff , dont be fooled into thinking this is how people really fight...its just to show off, ego/confidence boosting.
good luck ;)
oh one last thing , the 'yellow pages' ....dont hit back. [said in your best bruce lee voice]

Liddel
06-15-2006, 03:45 PM

I 'wouldnt' call it garbage, even though i saw things i disagree with in a fighting context. LT and his high kicks WTF ?

However i think one CAN judge people on a video, although that judgement IS limited.

My main concern is with his ability to TEACH not PERFORM.
Teaching to me means - you give your students the gaps and timing to give actions, you basically have to be cruel to yourself to let the student feel and react appropriately, ultimately to learn.

So i hope that these vids 'were' for demo purposes and not just a normal training lesson for you, otherwise all youll learn is that hes better than you, which isnt hard with more time and training under his belt.

AndrewS
06-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Can't download the videos, but I know of the practitioner in question. He is good, a lot better than folks on this thread are giving him credit for. He does the usual flashy WT demo things in demos. People I quite respect have had decent things to say about his skills, though I don't know how he is as a teacher. I have heard that he is a difficult man to deal with, and other less positive things.

Jannis Simonedes may be starting something up in Athens soon- he's a good man, great martial artist, and conscienscious teacher. Check him out.

Andrew

sir-elrik
06-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Im quite happy there, i hv noticed my shelf the thing with the legs and the posture and it strike me cause in the lessons we focus a lot on that staff.

For the moment and the following year i dnt think i wl go somewhere else.

Can some one giv m some links information that are explaining the differences between the styles of wing chun?

i dnt understand what "Leung Ting wing chun" means and how Differentiate from other styles?

tjwingchun
06-16-2006, 04:00 AM
"Ah the innocence of the beginner!"

Well sir-elrik where do I start, first on of the best links to give you is Planet Wing Chun www.wingchun.com it has loads of links and covers all sorts of divergent Wing Chun. Go have a search and enjoy.

Leung Ting Wing Chun or to be more correct Wing Tsun, is the personalisation of the Yip Man style Wing Chun by the individual called Leung Ting, just as there is Wong Shun Leung Wing Chun and my style 'TJ Wing Chun'. So most of the so-called different styles are mostly just variations of personality and interpretation of Yip Man's methods.

The WC/WT/VT argument comes from a meeting many years ago in the Yip Man Athletic Association and basically the initials WC were frowned on as it was shared with those for a toilet! but the Chinese calligraphy is the same so it is just a matter of phonetics. Leung Ting copyrighted the Wing Tsun spelling and so the WT references that you will see around refer ususlly specifically to his system.

There are other totally different styles of Wing Chun that hail from Foshan/Fatsan that pre-date the Yip Man Wing Chun, in my view they are a lot closer to the Shaolin system and therefore more martial art than the science that I personally think Wing Chun being.

Then there are blends as people have trained in various ways and brought their own life experiences into the equation, and it is up to you to make the decision of what is best for you, the one bit of advice I can give you is that it is the instructor that you need to have confidence about, given time you can develop you own methods and understanding as there is enough information out there to research, but a good instructor will help you get there faster and safely!

Wing Chun is just understanding how to use your arms and legs in protecting yourself in conflict situations, it is simple straightforward commonsense approaches to questions we are sometimes asked in life, but remember that YOU should control Wing Chun don't let it rule you.

Have fun scanning through the myriad of sites there is much that is good out there as well as many that are very poor and that is where again I remind you it is up to you to get what you want out of Wing Chun, just make sure you enjoy it along the way. :D :D

ps. a fellow lover of Moor**** are we?

k gledhill
06-16-2006, 07:56 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~wslnyc/

read the articles on my site by the late Wong Shun Leung ~ Philipp Bayer good info that can be used by any vt wt wc twc student and any ?tc I missed.
There is another link by clicking the logo that has more info & a forum.
good luck

hunt1
06-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Perhaps calling the wing chun garbage in relation to other forms of wing chun is a bit harsh.

If I buy a Porsche and while i tool around the neighborhood and the girls ooh and ahhh that is well and good. If I go on the highway and lil ol ladies and Hummers are blowing my doors off there is a problem. I open the hood and find my Porsche has a Renault engine and drivetrain. That explains the problem. To make my Porsche work Like it was designed I have to replace the drivetrain and engine with a Porsche engine then all will be well.

It is the same thing with LTWT it looks good and is fine for tooling around town dealing with a jerk but to face a trained opponent it is best to have the proper engine.

It doesnt matter if it is this teacher or another the engine to a greater or lesser degree is not present. I say greater or lesser because there are great athletes in the world and they can make even a bad engine work well. this happens because their bodies via instinct know what to do.

stricker
06-16-2006, 11:17 AM
yup hunt1 you could say its a bit harsh id say its bull****. you see a lot of [ignorant] wt people say things like "all wc is rubbish" also lots of [ignorant] mma people say "all kung fu is rubbish" etc

**** like this doesnt benefit anyone so end of conversation about this and that style. if you wanna talk technical concepts training etc im more than down for it :D

AmanuJRY
06-16-2006, 09:38 PM
It is the same thing with LTWT it looks good and is fine for tooling around town dealing with a jerk but to face a trained opponent it is best to have the proper engine.

I agree with sleight variation. I believe LTWT teaches excellext chi sau (upper body) technique, but it's lacking in the footwork (lower body; as 100%/0% takes a long time to develop and is a limited strategy) which without the lower body (or engine, as you put it) makes good chi sau skills a moot point.:cool:

Meklorien
06-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I'd have to agree with Liddel. From my own angle, I saw what amounts to a promising beginner. Greedy hitting and top heavy footwork were just some of the problems I noted. I will say this -- the paper thing was utter swill.

If you're good at wing chun, you don't have to beat on your students to make your point. They'll know. Eddie Chong never has to smack papers in half to let you know he's quite capable of putting you to sleep.

This guy seems to have some basic wing chun down though. I just hope he can keep evolving spiritually and his wing chun should get much better.

jethro
06-17-2006, 12:13 AM
yeah you can tell casue his opponent is wearing a blindfold in one vid, that is cheating.

Glad to clear this up.

tjwingchun
06-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Jethro you say "us lamas are the traditonal enemy of the shaolin"

What was Shaolin doing fighting South American pack animals and did they have any problems with the Alpacas as well???? Are you getting treatment for this animal manifestation????

Thought the animal with most to say was the bull! lol.

Matrix
06-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Sir-Elrik,

Your Sifu's ability cannot be judged on a video. Some points were mentioned that an advanced martial artist could detect. However, judging by his partners, this video may have been done for demonstration purposes. We should refrain from calling it "garbage" and disrespecting this man. Instead, judge him for how good you become...Hey Lindley,
I agree that making these types of comments are uncalled for. We cannot make a fully informed judgement based on these video clips. However, Sir-Elrik is asking for some comments, so criticism may be forthcoming.

I am not an "advanced martial artist" by any means. I can still see some things that I don't like in the videos. For example, in the first video, where he blocks the kicks (first a straight kick and then a roundhouse) I have doubts on practicality of the demo. In the case of the straight kick he stands there and uses a gan sau to deflect the kick. In doing so, he bends his upper body forward to reach for the kick. I can't see this working against a half-decent kicker, and compromising your balance to boot compounds the error.
The roundhouse kick from a decent kicker will be much more powerful, so standing there and absorbing the full impact with a quan sau may not work out exactly as demonstrated.

jethro
06-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Jethro you say "us lamas are the traditonal enemy of the shaolin"

What was Shaolin doing fighting South American pack animals and did they have any problems with the Alpacas as well???? Are you getting treatment for this animal manifestation????

Thought the animal with most to say was the bull! lol.

A lama is a useful animal.

ChangHFY
06-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Elrik,

Hows everything? Its hard to judge him solely on the videos, it would be better to meet him in realy life in order to gauge his skill. One thing to gauge his skill is different than gauging his ability to teach. So its hard to comment on this thread.
I will say his gor sau wasnt to bad, I didnt agree with the way he transmits Fa Ging (Fa Jing). But there may be more to his way of demonstrating Fa Ging than what we can judge on the video. Overall I wouldnt call it garbage. But at the same time I wouldnt want to study with him. But dont take my word, im sure he has a lot of phenomenal skills. Anyways I hope everything is great.

take care,
zai jian

crimsonghost
07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
It doesn't seem that he has much forward force. He pivots, but does not come into the opponent. He collapses his garn sau too much. But to say it's crap may be harsh. Chit sau on a kick I would not recomend, good way to get your arm broken. But, his WT style would probably work out well for a man or a stronger person.

sir-elrik
07-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Its going quite well in every sesion i learn new things and correct what i hv learnd. I just want to clarify something . I dnt train with the sifu but with one of his student i just wantd to see hw good is the sifu of the lineage i train.

Im quite happy with the whole thing. the most important thing is that every time i judge a drill or i question something i got a very comprenhesive answer which clarifys why some staff are executed in a certain manner. Very important for my mind set. What had really surpriced me is that i get in tired by the work in the gym and i get out full of energy, i dnt know how and why but i enjoying it.

Furthermore i would like to thank all the participants for their comments.

crimsonghost
07-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Your raising Chi when drilling, expecially doing Chi Sau and Si Lim Tao. This is a good forum for information.

crimsonghost
07-04-2006, 02:46 PM
I finished watching the rest of his videos. He's pretty good. He's got much to teach. I do prefer WC only because it focus's more on forward force and biomechanics. But the basic technique is the same.