PDA

View Full Version : Xingyi Horse Form

boy_analog
05-20-2001, 03:46 PM
The few instances of the Horse Form that I've seen in other Xingyi sources has the striking fist on the same side as the lead foot. James McNeil strikes with both hands together in his book.

The Horse style that I've been taught has the striking fist on the opposite side to the lead foot. Is this totally unheard of?

Felipe Bido
05-20-2001, 05:10 PM
Actually, there are SIX variations of the Horse form. But two of them are not very common. In my system, the form that you talk about is known as "Grabbing the reins of the horse".

I hope this helps.

Mendacem Oportet Esse Memorem

devere
05-22-2001, 07:10 PM
I had these same questions about the Wuxing before I learned them. You may learn the Wuxing (5 elements) or the 12 animals in a certain way as far as which leg is placed forward in conjunction with which hand. For example, Zuan (drilling) the striking fist drills up and out with the same sided foot. This is just for learning. Later, It doesn't matter...once you start learning the intermediate forms, you'll see that either fist and either foot will be paired in different ways at different times. For example, now Zuan's forward striking fist will be paired with the opposite foot forward. What is important here is the the energy expressed, whether it be splitting, drilling or crushing. Xingyi trains principles that be applied any way, not techniques. Escrima (stick fighting) is like this too. What if you don't have your stick in hand? Then you rely on principles...not the technique.

Guandi
05-22-2001, 10:42 PM
>What if you don't have your stick in hand?

Then I take the knife :-)

Guandi