PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Siu Lam's Video Posts

Fu-Pow
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
What is the predominant style represented in the those videos?

Also, what is the point of "shaking" when doing the hard chi gung? I haven't seen that before.

FP

CLFNole
06-15-2006, 05:36 PM
It kinda looks like a mixture of hung gar and southern short hand be it southern praying mantis, bak mei or yau kung mun. One of the sets looked like southern mantis.

Ben Gash
06-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Yeah, there was definitely an SPM form, and a Bak Mei form, and what looked like Lung Ying, as well of course as Choy Li Fut.

Lama Pai Sifu
06-17-2006, 08:35 AM
What Lama Pai forms does your school teach?

:)

hasayfu
06-17-2006, 09:43 AM
When you talk about "shaking", which form are you talking about?

Can't speak for Fu-pow but I have the same question. At :31 secs in, you see a young asian looking guy do the beginning of Gung Ji. He is "shaking" his body through the movements. There is older man doing a similar section from Sup Ying/Ng Ying later in the clip but he doesn't do the shaking as pronounced.

So what is the emphasis in the shaking?

Just so you know I'm not being critical, we also shake in parts of Tit Sin/Sup Ying (not in Gung Ji). Our emphasis is to loosen the waist and then lock it in. It's a short shake and not through out the movement. Ha Say Fu also does a shake motion and it emphasizes a sort of fajing type energy to work on short power.

WinterPalm
06-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Shaking? I just thought he was cold!!!!;)

Fu-Pow
06-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Can't speak for Fu-pow but I have the same question. At :31 secs in, you see a young asian looking guy do the beginning of Gung Ji. He is "shaking" his body through the movements. There is older man doing a similar section from Sup Ying/Ng Ying later in the clip but he doesn't do the shaking as pronounced.

So what is the emphasis in the shaking?

Just so you know I'm not being critical, we also shake in parts of Tit Sin/Sup Ying (not in Gung Ji). Our emphasis is to loosen the waist and then lock it in. It's a short shake and not through out the movement. Ha Say Fu also does a shake motion and it emphasizes a sort of fajing type energy to work on short power.

It's almost like a rocking motion where the weight is being shifted from foot to foot. Also, I'm not being critical but I haven't seen it performed this way before.