PDA

View Full Version : how do YOU spar

dainos
06-17-2006, 10:09 PM
i was wondering what every body does when they spar or like to do when sparring

Red Wind Fist
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
All students use pads. No head gear. They are allowed to do anything except kicks below the waist. They're allowed to punch and kick to the torso, chest,arms,head,face,back of head, and grapple. They are made to use control with each other but allowed to go full contact with the sifus/senseis. I go bareknuckle. I go bareknuckle with the students and with other senseis. I use enough control with the students, even if they are adults, to make sure they know I hit them but didnt hurt them. With the others we go bareknuckle and use everything we have knowledge wise. I only have to go full contact with my Odason. He demands it. I come out with bruises and sores. but hell, thats the name of the game!:D

5Animals1Path
06-18-2006, 04:40 AM
How we go all depends on what particular skill set we're working on, but in general, we only wear pads when working on full power shots.

Most of the time, our Sifu takes out a couple options of what we can do to force us to work on others.

EarthDragon
06-18-2006, 06:51 AM
I like to watch my students spar. but stop them when I see a missed opportunity and let them replay the move, this allows them to concentrate more and focus on what works and what doesnt.
I find that if you just let them go on and on they will not learn what works and at what times. newer students tend to forget whatr they learned when you incorporate sparring so it must be controled and analized to get them to lern from it... otherwise you have them just throwing blind techniques, sloppy hands and wild kicks.

SPJ
06-18-2006, 07:12 AM
My brother A is Zhao Bao Tai Chi player.

When we spar;

I usually use something straightforward and not the complicated or flowery ones.

I use Tong Bei five palms a lot and end with Ba Ji close combat techniques.

meaning My Tai Chi is not as good as his.

I use something direct, simple but at faster changing speed.

there is a move within a move. Zhao Zhong You Zhao.

there is a new move arising from the old move. Zhao Zhong Sheng Zhao.

in short, clusters of simple moves or Tao Zhao.

He said you suck.

I said you will bow to me.

--

:D

David Jamieson
06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
depends on 'who' i am sparring with.

some guys enjoy full blast, other guys like a little metering to occur.

I like to be able to accomadate anyones preference and style.

going full blast on a newb = only a d1ck does this

going soft on a skilled person = weak and unchallenging and nothing learned

the happy medium is where it's at.

Shaolinlueb
06-18-2006, 11:38 AM
i was sparring a karate guy who was telling mew to hit him full blast, and he couldnt block combo's too well. and i almost broke his nose with a cross straight to his face.then i bruised a rib with a hook to the side. i didnt feel too bad because he said hit me hard as you can.

mantis108
06-18-2006, 12:37 PM
1) UFC rules. 3 to 5 rounds/5 mins ea.

2) stand up only round, Stand up and clinch w/ takedown round, and Stand up, clinch, and ground round. Number of rounds depeneding on what the participants prefer. 3 mins rounds each. Ideally 6 rounds at least.

We do encourage our students to use mantis specific strategies, tactics and techniques as much as possible. But it's not compulsory since we do drill them in a separate format.

Mantis108

BruceSteveRoy
06-19-2006, 05:14 AM
I usually run out and block with my face and groin.
but seriously, my old school in NJ was a very interesting and great experience for sparring. My sifu would call out how he wanted each person to fight. For instance if we had one student who would be really proficient with tiger but had started learning crane sparring techniques sifu would make him attack and defend almost enitrely using crane, and that would get the person used to applying what he was learning. If it was not working he would let him switch back to tiger or to one of the other non-animal skill sets. but after the sparring he would see what the student would need to do to make the animal work better for him in a fight and help the student tweek the skill set.

we also used to do an exercise for weapons training. i actually was going to ask you all if any of you have done this or if it was just our school. you choose a weapon you are learning or have learned and one person does one attack slowly and with control and stops just before the point of contact and the other person counters slowly and with control. and you continue back and forth one move at a time until one person is in such a position that he/she has no viable attack or defense left. reminded me of chess with weapons. the more advanced your training or rank the more quickly each person would be moving through the moves (that was always fun to watch). but the beginners each move was so slow and thought out (usely poorly thought out as weapon use is not always intuitive). anyway, if any of you have done this or heard of it let me know.

SPJ
06-19-2006, 05:27 AM
required or specified elements/techniques sparring.

YES.

One person may use whatever.

The other person has to use Xing Yi Five fists only, or certain sets of techniques only.

:)

Ray Pina
06-19-2006, 07:52 AM
In the beginning, when a student is ready to first test some of their skills it's headgear and boxing gloves, no kicking. I break the action to make corrections and to protect them from slamming into corners, shelves, etc.

When they progress, head gear and boxing gloves but they can kick, throw and fight on the ground. After they do this a few times they want to use MMA gloves.

I used to not use headgear when sparring with them but I thought it was not fair. I think they hold back sometimes not wanting to really send the shots home. So now I use the head gear too.

Latetly I've been doing ground specific playing, with no striking, but that's because that's my weak part and I want to focus on position, not ground and pound.

dougadam
06-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Non contact! Unless it's kyusho.

Chief Fox
06-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I choose a few techniques to work on as I spar.

I sit back, deflect, block, try to use good foot work and wait for my opening. When I see it, I try to make one of my techniques work.

No pads, full contact to the body. Light contact to the legs. Groin shots happen sometimes by accident. Head shots also happen by accident.

CaptinPickAxe
06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
We usually work all the ranges seperately, then free spar at the end. I find working on each section seprately helps me get the techiniques better. We usually spar with 8oz bag gloves and headgear with a padded metal (crucial) bar across the nose. We usually don't have the luxury of mats, so we look for playgrounds with a thick layer of wood chips and cover it up with a staked tarp. The wood chips will stab and srcape you otherwise. We roll taking turns starting off in full guard, half/butterfly, then prone/mount. Then we usually move on to jacket wrestling and stopping at the throw. Then we move on to full contact striking with knees and elbows allowed. Then for a sadistic sort of fun we go all out.

It's sick....sick fun, that is.

dainos
06-20-2006, 09:25 AM
depends on 'who' i am sparring with.

some guys enjoy full blast, other guys like a little metering to occur.

I like to be able to accomadate anyones preference and style.

going full blast on a newb = only a d1ck does this

going soft on a skilled person = weak and unchallenging and nothing learned

the happy medium is where it's at.

my version of soft is diffrent of your that i can tell right now. what is your definiton of soft like.
my soft is like water. most likely use on much stronger guys. so go around the stike and counter. otherwise im creamed. so i need to work on my skill with it and condition a little more and take angles

David Jamieson
06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
my version of soft is diffrent of your that i can tell right now. what is your definiton of soft like.
my soft is like water. most likely use on much stronger guys. so go around the stike and counter. otherwise im creamed. so i need to work on my skill with it and condition a little more and take angles

i am not talking about soft the same way as you are speaking of it.

I am talking about going light, to light to be of any value.

dainos
06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
then i understand what you mean. thanks for telling me