PDA

View Full Version : OT: what do you tell your kids about Kung Fu?

SPJ
06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Would you teach or tell your own kids about Kung Fu practice?

SO my kids are watching Avatar.

there is a special feature mentioning styles of Chinese Kung Fu.

the water bending is Tai Chi.

the earth bending is Hung Gar or southern Tiger Crane.

the fire bending is Northern Shaolin or Bei Shaolin.

the air bending is Ba Gua.

my 6 year old son said Dad I know what Ba Gua Zhang is. It is air bending.

:D

SPJ
06-19-2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/display_show.jhtml?show_id=ava

viper
06-19-2006, 05:21 PM
What do you say if your child comes and sez i know what sex is and gives a answer like tht you tell him the truth rite. Kungfu the same tell him what it is.

mantis108
06-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I will tell him or her (not that I am planning to have kids ever) the fable of the little bird, cow pile and the cayoto. And I will tell him "they used to call me nobody." :cool:

;) :D

Mantis108

SPJ
06-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Well said.

here are some trailers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C7DcggPvfDQ&mode=related&search=avatar

BlueTravesty
06-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, when I have kid(s), I won't go out and TELL them about Kung Fu per se. I have this big phobia of "forcing" Kung Fu on kids like my dad forced little league baseball on me (in retrospect however, I can say that baseball was good for me, and I probably should have stuck with it.)

However, if they see something like Avatar, or something else that piques their interest, then I'll say "You know, I practice Kung Fu." And they'll be all like "Oh please dad, you're sooo lame." (Will they still use the word "lame" at that time? Who knows?)

On that note, I saw Avatar once not too long ago. Pretty cool little show. I'd watch it, but I'm too cheap to get cable.

SPJ
06-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes, all in due time.

My son is telling his friends at school that the young boy or the air bender knows Ba Gua which is a style of Kung Fu.

I have no clues what would be response from the teacher and his mates in the kindergarten.

:)

BlueTravesty
06-19-2006, 09:41 PM
The kids might fall for it, but I'm sure the teachers are better informed.

After all, EVERYONE knows you can control all five elements by practicing XingYi. :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-19-2006, 10:46 PM
shes got cheering and soccer ... she understands well enough.

neilhytholt
06-19-2006, 11:06 PM
My kids are 7 (almost 8 she always reminds me) and 5 (almost 6 he always reminds me).

They watch Shaolin Showdown and Ben 10. They wanted these items they thought would make them invincible. :)

Anyways, so I bought this movie, not for them, but for me called Shaolin Ulysses about these monks that came to the U.S. So I watched it, and it seemed G rated, so they watched it too.

On it was this little girl named Julie Zhang who takes Shaolin and she talks in glowing terms of how she wants to learn Shaolin so she can be in the Olympics and and be in movies. After that, my daughter bugged me she wants to learn Shaolin. So I searched for a wushu place, and found one, but it's like the national Wushu Center, and it's very structured, and she didn't like it. (Still not sure why).

So this weekend there's this show on Disney called Wendy Wu, and we're watching it, and after that, they BOTH totally want to learn martial arts now. So I take them out back on Saturday, and do a couple of forms and you know what? They are totally into it now.

Saturday and Sunday we're doing forms for a few hours, and we do some staff, and my daughter can already do like 1/2 of the first form in our family system (actually the family system my first sifu taught me), which is short (about 30 moves), but she can already do 15 and the kicks. My son is having a little bit harder time (he's not as coordinated), but he follows big sis.

It's unreal. And here they say T.V. is a bad influence on kids. Nope.

neilhytholt
06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, when I have kid(s), I won't go out and TELL them about Kung Fu per se. I have this big phobia of "forcing" Kung Fu on kids like my dad forced little league baseball on me (in retrospect however, I can say that baseball was good for me, and I probably should have stuck with it.)

However, if they see something like Avatar, or something else that piques their interest, then I'll say "You know, I practice Kung Fu." And they'll be all like "Oh please dad, you're sooo lame." (Will they still use the word "lame" at that time? Who knows?)

On that note, I saw Avatar once not too long ago. Pretty cool little show. I'd watch it, but I'm too cheap to get cable.

Yeah, I didn't want to force them either, but I thought I'd get my daughter into it first since she's older. But she didn't like aikido and she didn't like wushu for some reason. (She's kindof shy and I think the classes were too big).

But now they both want to do it after this Wendy Wu show.

And they want me to make them some 'Autumn Moon' cakes. I've never made those, but I downloaded the recipe. Maybe we'll do that next weekend.

But you know kids. Last month it was singing. This week it might be martial arts, next week it could be go kart racing, who knows.

David Jamieson
06-20-2006, 07:04 AM
I tried to get my son into it, but he wasn't really interested in it in the long term.
meh, it's not for everyone.