PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen a female work withtir sectional staff?

im_dabich
06-20-2006, 06:18 AM
:o
I am a female of course I have been training with the Tri-Sectional-staff for a few months now and I am hopeing to go to the next tourniment with them as my wepon of choice.. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a female use them before? And how good they did with it. I am awesome with them.. it's like the wepon picked me. So i'd like to know your opinion on it.... Thanks Amber

Ben Gash
06-20-2006, 06:36 AM
I've seen numerous women use the 3 section staff, I'm a bit unclear what the point of your question is though? :confused:

TaiChiBob
06-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Greetings,

Mimi Chan, GrandMaster Chan Pui's daughter and successor, frequently does demos at tournaments (and, on a TV special, i think).. she defends against a staff and a broadsword at the same time.. very impressive and she is very proficient..

Be well...

im_dabich
06-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Well Ben Gash,
I was just asking if anyone had ever seen a female use them before.. I have never seen it. I was interested in finding a female that has. Or a video or something ya know... To be truthfull I dont see many females at all at our tourniments.. THis ia a male dominate sport. SO as for my question like i said in the begining I just wanted to know if anyone had ever seen a female use them or not......

dainos
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Well Ben Gash,
I was just asking if anyone had ever seen a female use them before.. I have never seen it. I was interested in finding a female that has. Or a video or something ya know... To be truthfull I dont see many females at all at our tourniments.. THis ia a male dominate sport. SO as for my question like i said in the begining I just wanted to know if anyone had ever seen a female use them or not......

sport who ever said kung fu is a sport......well i guess it is to some but not to me. you can't generalize everything like that. what style are you looking at??? it defers with each school and each style. some people"like me" have never seen a 3 sec staff form at all. ive seen a normal staff form and a spear form and butteryfly and broad sword forms. im pretty **** sure someone has seen a female do it. there is over 6 billion people on this earth so one has got to it least seen it or done it. i still dont think gung fu is a sport:eek:

B-Rad
06-20-2006, 09:21 AM
sport who ever said kung fu is a sport......well i guess it is to some but not to me.
If you compete, it's a sport. It's pretty simple.

Jingwu Man
06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.luyanwushu.com/media/videos.htm
There is a video or the three section staff further down.:)

im_dabich
06-20-2006, 09:36 AM
jigwu man,
thanks for the link.. Much appreciated..

for all others,
Yes if there is a compitition then kung fu is a sport...

thanks to all who responded to me i really appreciate it.

im_dabich
06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Danios,
Apparently you are one of thoes type of guys who are judgmental and rude...
please be a little nicer on here i have seen a lot of your commens that you have made you need to cool it..

Shaolinlueb
06-20-2006, 09:46 AM
only once. at a wushu thing.

dainos
06-20-2006, 10:26 AM
If you compete, it's a sport. It's pretty simple.
i just dont look at it as a sport. i look at it as a way of life for me. people can have their tournments all they want. does that classify as all gung fu as sport. it wasnt orgininated that way. it was some sort training in fighting that kept you alive one more day.
we may be in a time where there is guns and bombs but i wouldnt cut out gung fu just yet.

Edit:
if you want to argue that gung fu is all sport or not ill argue day and night. i got plenty of time.
to some people it is a sport. and all the people i know think its not

B-Rad
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
if you want to argue that gung fu is all sport or not ill argue day and night. i got plenty of time.
I'm not saying all aspects of Chinese martial arts is sport, obviously not, but if you compete you're participating in sport. It's just a simple fact. Trying to deny it won't change anything. And if you don't compete, why would you be participating in a thread about competition? Sport has been a part of martial arts (in general) as a very long time though as a method to test and work on skills outside of life and death situations.

PangQuan
06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
to me its both.

if you compete, well, thats basically the definition of sport.

if you dont, then its not.

when training for the competition this is personal AND sport training.

it depends on what you do with it.

for some football is a way of life, no matter what they want it to be, football will always be a sport, because you MUST compete to actually play the game correctly.

thus competition creates sport.

dainos
06-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm not saying all aspects of Chinese martial arts is sport, obviously not, but if you compete you're participating in sport. It's just a simple fact. Trying to deny it won't change anything. And if you don't compete, why would you be participating in a thread about competition? Sport has been a part of martial arts (in general) as a very long time though as a method to test and work on skills outside of life and death situations.

when has it been a "sport" im very curious. do you know when they started doing it as a sport

B-Rad
06-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Many times... from ancient Shui Jiao (the old way of writting shui jiao made reference to an old competition that it apparently evolved from), newer lei tai matches, to the more modern San Shou programs used by Chinese military. So even though winning a medal isn't allways the end goal, sport has often been a tool used in training.

B-Rad
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
BTW, as to the original question, yes I've seen female 3 sections staff before. From the person on that vid, and also saw a woman do a form at the Las Vegas USWU Nationals last year, though she didn't do very well. I'm sure I've seen it done by women other times too, but really can't remember. I don't think it's as unusual a weapon to see women doing as say... a kwan dao.

David Jamieson
06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Pan Qing Fu's prodigy does Kwan Dao quite nicely actually.

:p

she's got good fu.

and tehre was a girl posting here before, Im not sure if she's around so much now, but she also worked the classical weapons.

I think Lueb knows her. myabe it's pkstylze kungfu sister or someone like that.

anyway, it's not uncommon that when a person is reayd guy or girl to learn the classical weapons associated with their style.

3 section is a very dynamic and interesting weapon. Im sure you'll enjoy playing with it.

Chief Fox
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I knew a girl in college who was awesome at working the staff.

Now that girl had skills.

Good times.

dainos
06-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I knew a girl in college who was awesome at working the staff.

Now that girl had skills.

Good times.

for some reason that dont sound right...

Shaolin Dude
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
one of the female sifu's in my school can do the 3 section really good. I have also seen a female learn the 3 section staff in my old school. She was taking private lessons

Citong Shifu
07-17-2006, 09:19 AM
:o
I am a female of course I have been training with the Tri-Sectional-staff for a few months now and I am hopeing to go to the next tourniment with them as my wepon of choice.. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a female use them before? And how good they did with it. I am awesome with them.. it's like the wepon picked me. So i'd like to know your opinion on it.... Thanks Amber

Sounds as though your really fond of yourself....... :D

I have seen several women demo tri section stick, usually the modern wushu series, but impressive. The Wah Lum Tri section is usually a crowd pleaser, lol. Good luck.