www.jowtigers.com/movies/fakuen.wmv -

Siu Ying Jow Kuen (1/4)
www.jowtigers.com/movies/siuyingjowkuen.wmv

regards
Tai Lik

I Chin Ching
06-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Thankyou very much!

Jow Ga videos seem very hard to get, eh!

DoPi
06-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Very nice clips and demos, Thank you, never seen jow ga videos before very similar to clf

DoPi
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
and hung gar

Tai-Lik
06-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Very nice clips and demos, Thank you, never seen jow ga videos before very similar to clf

Thanks Dopi
Jow Ga is also referred to as Chow Ga, Zhou jia, and Chau Ka depending on the dialect or translation. Jow Ga has also been referred to as Hung Tao Choy Mei, which translates to "head of Hung and tail of Choy." It was labeled Hung Tao Choy Mei because the system incorporates two of the best southern styles of Kung Fu known as Hung Ga and Choy Ga. It also combines Northern Siu Lum.

Tai Lik

Tai-Lik
06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
real nice stuff Tai-Lik!....realy enjoyed those...
have not seen much jow ga, i realy like it...i can see the Hung Gar and CLF.....

thanks for sharing!

Thanks Siu Lum
went to your site today and watched your clips. nice job! Thank you for sharing as well.

regards
Tai Lik

Tai-Lik
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Siu Lum you'll welcomed at our event.

here are two more I meant to include from the opening demo (5 Tigers Tourny 06)

1/4 "Gwok Gee Kune" (the clip title says Chai Jong, but it's incorrect)
www.jowtigers.com/movies/william_form.wmv

"Siu Fook Fu" (last 1/4)
www.jowtigers.com/movies/siufokfu.wmv

Tai Lik

Green Cloud
08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Hello Tai Lik hope all is well, Don't have to tell you that those were nice clips. I definately see the choy li fut influence:D

Hope to see more clips there great

Fu-Pau
08-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I definately see the choy li fut influence:D

Pffft… why do the CLF folks love jumping on the band wagon so much?...;) :D

There is no CLF “influence” in Chow Gar/Jow Ga. Chow Gar’s influence is from Hung Ga, Choy Ga and a sprinkling of Bak Siu Lum.
It is a common myth that Chow Gar is derived from Hung and CLF. But this CLF connection is incorrect.

chasincharpchui
08-23-2006, 07:00 PM
teen ha mo kung cheut siu lam

so almost all systems have 1 or 2 similarities, others more

anyways show us some jow ga fu pau sets please

i wanna see the differences with our ones and urs

Green Cloud
08-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Pffft… why do the CLF folks love jumping on the band wagon so much?...;) :D

There is no CLF “influence” in Chow Gar/Jow Ga. Chow Gar’s influence is from Hung Ga, Choy Ga and a sprinkling of Bak Siu Lum.
It is a common myth that Chow Gar is derived from Hung and CLF. But this CLF connection is incorrect.

Fu pau??? don't know what your talking about but I am very good friends with several Jow Ga sifus and based on my discussions with them they them selves admit to the hung and CLF influences.

Hung Ga Choy ga and Bak sing are all part of the CLF system.

PFFFFFT... you know do the math Choy ga + li ga + fut ga all = choy li fut stupid.

Don't tell me PFFT. That's just arogant, what exposure have you had when it comes to Jow Ga hell I've seen Jow Ga perfomed at Tourneys so many times I know the forms my self.

greencloud.net

TenTigers
08-23-2006, 11:24 PM
"teen ha mo kung cheut siu lam"

-or at least we like to think so!;)

Fu-Pau
08-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Fu pau??? don't know what your talking about but I am very good friends with several Jow Ga sifus and based on my discussions with them they them selves admit to the hung and CLF influences.

That’s nice

Hung Ga Choy ga and Bak sing are all part of the CLF system

Really? You do realise that “bak sing” (branch of CLF) and “bak siu lum” (Northern Shaolin style) are not the same thing?

PFFFFFT... you know do the math Choy ga + li ga + fut ga all = choy li fut stupid.

Isn’t the “Choy” in CLF a reference to a person (coincidentally named Choy), not the style Choy Ga? (I could be wrong?)

what exposure have you had when it comes to Jow Ga

Oh, just a bit…

hell I've seen Jow Ga perfomed at Tourneys so many times I know the forms my self.

Ok then… I guess the rest of us better just sit down and listen to you?

Eddie
08-24-2006, 04:21 AM
someone told me the choy in Jow Ga is different to the Choy as in CLF.

although, JG does look allot like CLF, then agian, allot of styles look like CLF.

thanks for the videos :)

Ben Gash
08-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Of course Jow Gar and Choy Li Fut look somewhat similar, both systems are synthesised from 3 styles, and in both systems 2 of the styles are the same! The fusion of Hung Gar/Nan Sil Lum/Fut Gar or whatever you want to call it with northern Shaolin is the distinctive factor in both styles. The differences stem from the third system, Li Gar for Choy Li Fut and Choy Gar for Jow Gar, and the nature of the northern Shaolin. As is the way with kung fu history it never clearly specifies what these northern Shaolin systems were (people were obviously less concerned about lineage back then ;) ), but from the styles today you would infer that for Jow Gar it was an orthodox longfist system, while for Choy Li Fut you would guess a more esoteric longarm system along the lines of Fanzi, Tongbei or Pigua. However, the blend is also different, as Chan Heung spent 8 years with Choy Fook studying northern styles, accounting for over a third of his training, whereas I believe the founder of Jow Gar only spent 3 or 4 years studying Bak Sil Lum.
Both are great systems, and we should celebrate their similarities and their differences :cool:

brothernumber9
08-24-2006, 07:36 AM
all technicalities aside of what styles exactly influenced what, perhaps what Sifu Kaparos was inferring to was the rumors or speculations that either Jow Biu or Jow Lung had learned some Choy Lay Fut in addition to Choy Ga and Hung Ga, and that at least had a visible influence in Jow Ga's flow and set designs?

I'm sure Sifu Johnson has some knowledge or insight on that, one way or another.

On a tangent, I am curious what the Hung influence on Choy Lay Fut is or was?

CLFNole
08-24-2006, 07:51 AM
I would say the hung influence to CLF was more of an indirect one. That being many CLF sifus had some hung backgrounds prior to learning CLF and thus some hung influence was seen. Also it could be said that what Chan Hueng's uncle learned could have had some hung style in it as it is generally referred to as siu lum and not that specific.

I think some people have been taught that the Choy in CLF is from Choy Gar; however many were taught it is just from Choy Fook, who gave CLF its northern influence.

In any event just about all of the southern long arm styles share similarities and techniques be it hung gar, CLF, jow gar, lama/hop gar/baak hook, hung fut, etc...

Tai-Lik
08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
one of the styles initially used to create jow ga was "CHOY GA" (Choy Gau Yee AND Choy Bak Tat).

Tai Lik

Eric Ling
08-24-2006, 07:42 PM
“I'm sure Sifu Johnson has some knowledge or insight on that, one way or another.”

Sifu Johnson? Sifu Derek Johnson?

I called Sifu Johnson when I was out in Denver. In fact he was in a middle of a stake out; he is a cop right? We were talking about a face to face.

Derek was in Singapore and he did a fantastic job in wowing the audience with his performance. So before I left for the states, Sifu Fong Fook Wah (my wife’s Zhou Jia teacher) suggested I go see him….

Anyhow, never happen cause he was in Baltimore (I think) and I never had the chance to be in that part.

Imho, the Bak Siu Lum portion of Zhou Jia is clearly reflected in the aerial kicks and ground works.

Singapore’s Zhou Jia does a form that is very “military” with many clear Northern characteristic movements. The form brings to mind the “Tam Tui” that is done by Chin Wu folks.

One technique, in particular, stands out in Zhou Jia; the jumping, landing and sliding out side kick done on the ground. You see this in the Zhou Jia clip I posted.

This manner of kicking, to me, spells Northern.

Southerners would do the same but without the jumping. That or they stick to “iron broom”.

Regards.

Tai-Lik
08-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi Eric how are you & greetings to all the jow ga/zhou jia people in Singapore/malaysia. i'm still a cop :)

please check your PM

Best regards
Derek Johnson (Tai Lik)

Eric Ling
08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Hi Derek,

So it's really you.

“Tai Lik” - how very appropriate. I can personally vouch for that.

Derek, folks in Singapore are still talking about this non-Chinese who stole the limelight during the Zhou Jia performance.

There you go, got to be careful with what you do…hahaha.

My greeting to all Zhou Jia brothers and sisters at your end.

Warmest Regards.:) :) :)

Tai-Lik
08-25-2006, 09:24 AM
these vid links are working again:

Man Gee Dsui Chak (1/2)
www.jowtigers.com/movies/2manset.WMV

1/4 "Gwok Gee Kune"
(the clip title says Chai Jong, but the title is incorrect)
www.jowtigers.com/movies/william_form.wmv

Greencloud: how you doing? it was good to see you at the tourny last week. you looked good;)

Brothernumber9: Hello. yes i've heard of a RUMOR about some sort of a relationship/friendship between one of the brothers and a choy li fut sifu, but this was after the Jow Ga Gwoon (Yun Yee Tong) was established. Again this is only a rumor & the extent of the relationship would only be speculation.

it's reasonable to consider that during this era, maybe many styles were influenced by each other.

within jow ga there are 5 Jow brothers (jow lung, hip, biu, hoy, tin) who brought there own unique characteristics and influences to their own lines along with the core qualities that make jow ga, jow ga. In the u.s. most people are witnessing what has been refered to as jow biu lineage. From a historical stand point, i think many people would find it interesting to watch Jow Hip, Jow Tin lines etc. performing the same core forms as our jow biu line.

i would be interested & appreciate any information on choy ga vs. choy li fut. i have choy li fut friends who say that the "choy" in choy li fut is not from "Choy ga" and i have other choy li fut friends who speculate that the "choy" in choy li fut IS the same as the "choy ga".

i have a friend from china who says that he has seen "choy ga" not referring to choy li fut and HE says that many of the choy li fut tradmark techniques were in a particular choy ga form he saw. i hope to see for myself next year, since i've never seen "pure choy ga" and choy ga seems to be really rare.

there are obviously alot of people on this forum who have much more knowledge & expertise in kung fu history than i do, so i would be interested in hearing any feedback or input.

regards
Tailik

CLFNole
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
It is generally known that the Choy in CLF is from Choy Fook, who was one of Chan Hueng's teachers. Choy Gar is one of the more well known southern family styles that being hung, lau, choy, lay and mok. The Lay in CLF comes from Lay Yau San, who was the founder of Lay Gar.

Choy Gar as mentioned earlier was founded by Choy Gau Yee. Choy Fook was said to have brought the northern influence of siu lum to CLF. He brought in his knowledge of the siu lum wooden man hall and thus CLF's extensive dummies. If he was a Choy Gar stylist why would he have been at siu lum? Maybe to enhance his skills and becuase he was a buddhist but he is generally taught of as siu lum as CLF is generally regarded as coming from siu lum.

While Choy Gar may have many techniques that look like CLF so does hung gar, jow gar and hung fut. I think if you put a lot of the southern styles and southern family styles together they would all have a lot of similarities. Many of the family styles are rare now and it would be interesting to learn more of their history and whether or not their beginnings were from siu lum. I would guess most if not all have some links and thus all the similarities between different styles.

Like Ben Gash said earlier with CLF you can definately see some of the "whipping" power seen in northern styles like pek gwar, tong bei, etc... that you don't see in most southern systems.

The truth of the matter is not enough is truly known and much of the old history has been lost.

xSHoX
08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Very nice videos. :)

A slight question, did you guys shorten the form purposely? In our Jow Ga school our similar forms are much longer.

Tai-Lik
08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
xshox: yes we shortened the forms to allow for more time during the opening ceremony lion dance.

CLFNole wrote:

While Choy Gar may have many techniques that look like CLF so does hung gar, jow gar and hung fut. I think if you put a lot of the southern styles and southern family styles together they would all have a lot of similarities.

I agree ;)

Fu-Pow
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Hung Ga Choy ga and Bak sing are all part of the CLF system.

Don't tell me PFFT. That's just arogant, what exposure have you had when it comes to Jow Ga hell I've seen Jow Ga perfomed at Tourneys so many times I know the forms my self.

greencloud.net

Your statement that "Choy ga + li ga + fut ga all = choy li fut" is highly debatable. The connection between Choy Ga and Choy Li Fut is dubious and Fut in Choy Lay Fut doesn't refer to the style Fut Ga, it refers to Shaolin in a general way or possibly something akin to Hung Ga.

The only part of that statement that isn't debatable is the connection between Li Ga and Choy Li Fut because Li Yau San was the founder of Li Ga the style but was also a teacher of Chan Heung.

Fu-Pow
08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
BTW, really nice forms. Very solid and lots of power. Thoroughly enjoyed watching them. :D

Strife
08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
anyone know of jow gar instructional dvds/videos?

Eric Ling
08-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Derek,

“i have a friend from china who says that he has seen "choy ga" not referring to choy li fut and HE says that many of the choy li fut tradmark techniques were in a particular choy ga form he saw. i hope to see for myself next year, since i've never seen "pure choy ga" and choy ga seems to be really rare.”

If you are visiting Singapore again, ask GM Li or Sifu Fong.

They should be able to point out the “Choy Gar” folks in Singapore to you.

There was even a book published by Singapore “Choy Gar” some 10 – 15 years back.

I’ve seen some of their stuff and their palm works are really something to behold.

For CLF, the “Hong Sing Koon” folks are still around in the Geylang area – about ½ hour away from our Jow Gar koon in Chinatown. Hong Sing Koon in Singapore was founded by the late GM. Kwan Mun Keng.

If you are keen in histories and such, another good place to visit is “Kwong Chow Hui Koon” which is located right behind our Jow Gar Koon. This koon must be at least 50 – 60 years old and they should be able to tell you quite a bit.

The “resident” style taught there is Hungga. However, they also did CLF in the past.

Bak Siu Lum is a distinct style of CKF. I know that it’s popular these days to use the moniker “BSL” to point to generic Northern arts.

Chin Woo or Jin Moo was, more or less, the home of BSL in Singapore.

Chi Lu – another koon in Singapore was teaching BSL together with Weito Men.

Chi Lu is still operating and if you, by any chance, want to visit these guys, just let me know.

Tell me when you plan to be there exactly and I’ll work my schedule.

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Tai-Lik
08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Eric think you very, very much. An introduction to the choy ga people in Singapore would be greatly appreciated.

Please send my regards to GM Li and Sifu Fong, and thanks for your assistance:)

Derek

Eric Ling
08-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi Derek,

You're welcome.

As mentioned in the other thread, when we meet in Singapore, chillie crabs is compulsory.... culture thing you understand.:)

And Carlsberg..another traditional custom thing that comes with doing Chinese Kung Fu...:) :) :)

Warmest Regards.

Eric

chasincharpchui
08-27-2006, 01:08 AM
okay so u guys dont know wat im talking bout wen i say 'fu-pau kune'

wats the name of the form where u start the form in a goat stance(similar to wing chun) and u do all these hand movements???

theres like 3-4 sets dat start like this, and den move into the form, kinda like a bow sequence

Tai-Lik
08-27-2006, 11:09 AM
okay so u guys dont know wat im talking bout wen i say 'fu-pau kune'

wats the name of the form where u start the form in a goat stance(similar to wing chun) and u do all these hand movements???

theres like 3-4 sets dat start like this, and den move into the form, kinda like a bow sequence

if your refering to jow ga, usually we don't use the "kim yeung ma" goat stance. we normally just use "Jaahm Ma" standing stance, which is a bit different (jaahm Jong, Jong Ma).

i think you are referrring to our fu paau kune. there are other forms that use this stance (siu ying jow kuen, siu hung kuen, Luhk Gaau, etc....)

Tailik

chasincharpchui
08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
if your refering to jow ga, usually we don't use the "kim yeung ma" goat stance. we normally just use "Jaahm Ma" standing stance, which is a bit different (jaahm Jong, Jong Ma).

i think you are referrring to our fu paau kune. there are other forms that use this stance (siu ying jow kuen, siu hung kuen, Luhk Gaau, etc....)

Tailik

yes i was referring to those....fu pau fu paau same sh!t
and that idiot jow ga 'expert' who is well acquainted with several jow ga sifus didnt know wat i was talking bout

yes fu paau kune, can u guys post up ur versions, i wanna see please

i love them

can u post the names of each set in chinese(characters) aswell please
as i only know them as no1 no2 no3 no4 etc

fiercest tiger
08-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Very Nice, thanks for sharing!

My friend Sifu Andy Troung teachers Jow Gar in Australia, good to see these clips and the power was nice and fluid.

Garry

Tai-Lik
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
yes i was referring to those....fu pau fu paau same sh!t
and that idiot jow ga 'expert' who is well acquainted with several jow ga sifus didnt know wat i was talking bout

yes fu paau kune, can u guys post up ur versions, i wanna see please

i love them

can u post the names of each set in chinese(characters) aswell please
as i only know them as no1 no2 no3 no4 etc

Chasincharpchui: i don't have any clips of fu pau yet. when we record a clip, i will be happy to share:)

what school of choy li fut are you from and do you have any clips of choy li fut "fu pau kune". i would really like to see that as well;)

chasincharpchui
08-30-2006, 04:56 PM
well im from the buck sing gwoon of choy lay fut
we dont have choy lay fut fu pau kune, its still jow ga

we do jow ga aswell coz one of our great-grandmasters(tai-sikung) and his father, did jow ga aswell as buck sing choy lay fut

Tai-Lik
08-30-2006, 06:47 PM
well im from the buck sing gwoon of choy lay fut
we dont have choy lay fut fu pau kune, its still jow ga

we do jow ga aswell coz one of our great-grandmasters(tai-sikung) and his father, did jow ga aswell as buck sing choy lay fut

yes i know this story of kong on & jow lung. i've seen a choy li fut group from Hk called Chan Chow Wan Assn. do a version of Fu Pau Kune based on their jow ga relationship.

Are you from the Buk Sing California? i had hoped to visit someday.

regards

chasincharpchui
08-31-2006, 03:39 AM
nah im not from california, theres couple of buk sing groups in cali tho

hmm so u say the story of kong on & jow long, wat have u heard?

Fu-Pau
09-01-2006, 12:34 AM
As I understand it, Kong On was a student of Chow Lung for about 4 years before Chow Lung passed away. After that he became a student of Tarm Sam (I think?) and studied CLF.

chasincharpchui
09-01-2006, 06:31 AM
so was kong on jow ga recognised as traditional jow ga still in ur eyes

Tai-Lik
09-01-2006, 07:27 AM
As I understand it, Kong On was a student of Chow Lung for about 4 years before Chow Lung passed away. After that he became a student of Tarm Sam (I think?) and studied CLF.

Here is a pic of Kong On placing incense on one tablet for Jow Lung, Tarm Sam. and i think his 3rd sifu

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzermavg/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/kongon2.jpg

CCC: in my eyes if Kong On was a student of Jow Lung for 4 yrs. of course he is recognized.

Tai Lik

chasincharpchui
09-01-2006, 05:28 PM
CCC: in my eyes if Kong On was a student of Jow Lung for 4 yrs. of course he is recognized.

Tai Lik

good haha

got any more pics of kong on to share?

by any chance u have the names of the fu-pau sets in chinese?

Tai-Lik
09-01-2006, 08:10 PM
good haha

got any more pics of kong on to share?

by any chance u have the names of the fu-pau sets in chinese?

I know of two fu pau sets from this particular choy li fut school. "1st & 2nd path/road Tiger Leopard Fist"

二路虎豹拳 - YI LOUH FU POW KUEN

Why do you ask this question about Kong On being recognized as jow ga?:)

regards
Tai Lik

CLFNole
09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Our school has a Fu Pow Kuen. Only one set and from the way it looks it has somewhat of a buk sing flavor to it in that it has a few tau lau chop choy combinations.

chasincharpchui
09-02-2006, 02:18 AM
I know of two fu pau sets from this particular choy li fut school. "1st & 2nd path/road Tiger Leopard Fist"

二路虎豹拳 - YI LOUH FU POW KUEN

Why do you ask this question about Kong On being recognized as jow ga?:)

regards
Tai Lik

so are they juss calld yut loh, yee loh, sam loh etc?

juss interested to know wat other jow ga practioners think of kong on, coz u said he only learnt 4 years off jow loong and is his jow ga different to other jow ga.

coz im from that lineage

Tai-Lik
09-02-2006, 04:34 AM
one of the styles initially used to create jow ga was "CHOY GA" (Choy Gau Yee AND Choy Bak Tat).

Tai Lik

i read what i wrote and just wanted to make sure i was clear. our choy ga comes from the line of the founders choy gau yee and choy bak tat). Jow Lung learned Choy Ga from CHOY KAU GUNG.

ChasinCharpChui:

so are they juss calld yut loh, yee loh, sam loh etc?

i've only seen 1st & 2nd loh. i don't know if Kong On's jow ga is different. Did he mix his jow ga with choy li fut?

chasincharpchui
09-02-2006, 06:45 AM
i've only seen 1st & 2nd loh. i don't know if Kong On's jow ga is different. Did he mix his jow ga with choy li fut?

dont think he mixed them, ive seen footage of him doin yut loh and yi loh, and den a buk sing form afterwards, its so different.

are there more than 2 sets of fu pau kune? or uve juss learnt 1 and 2?

Tai-Lik
09-02-2006, 12:16 PM
dont think he mixed them, ive seen footage of him doin yut loh and yi loh, and den a buk sing form afterwards, its so different.

are there more than 2 sets of fu pau kune? or uve juss learnt 1 and 2?

Standardly, jow ga has only one fu pow kune. maybe some schools do it a bit different.

i think the versions done by this particular choy li fut school (Kong On) has versions created by him as a tribute to jow lung. it's been a while since i've seen this choy li fut school's Yi loh fu pow kuen, but i could definitely see the jow ga relationship inside this version. As far as i am aware, i think only this school or lineage of choy li fut does fu pow kuen this way, due to Kong On's relationship with jow lung.

i don't know very much about the kong on choy li fut & Jow ga.:)

i was wondering where CLFnole's fu pow kuen form came from

regards

Fu-Pau
09-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I agree with Tai Lik. As far as I am aware Chow Gar only has one fu pau kuen. Of course it will be performed slightly differently from lineage/school to lineage/school.

CCC, I am not sure about Kong On’s Chow Gar as I have never seen the Chow Gar element of his line of Bak Sing CLF schools performed. I recall hearing that Kong On kept his Chow Gar distinct from his CLF, but I would assume that in his lineage (after him) the Chow Gar would be somewhat influenced by the CLF, even if kept nominally separate.
Also Kong On was a student of Chow Lung for about 4 years. I have no idea how much Chow Gar he learned in that time?
I would be interested to see some Chow Gar from his lineage out of interest.

Cheers
Fu Pau

chasincharpchui
09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I agree with Tai Lik. As far as I am aware Chow Gar only has one fu pau kuen. Of course it will be performed slightly differently from lineage/school to lineage/school.

CCC, I am not sure about Kong On’s Chow Gar as I have never seen the Chow Gar element of his line of Bak Sing CLF schools performed. I recall hearing that Kong On kept his Chow Gar distinct from his CLF, but I would assume that in his lineage (after him) the Chow Gar would be somewhat influenced by the CLF, even if kept nominally separate.
Also Kong On was a student of Chow Lung for about 4 years. I have no idea how much Chow Gar he learned in that time?
I would be interested to see some Chow Gar from his lineage out of interest.

Cheers
Fu Pau

well from wat ive seen the school that kong on's student runs in hk still keeps the chow gar distinct from the clf.

Radplaiddude
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Less talk more jowga videos plz. LOL.

chasincharpchui
09-05-2006, 06:22 AM
how many of ur jow ga forms 'hoi jong' similar to fu pau kune using Jaahm Ma and juss doin hand techniques?

and do u have videos for those?

ZhouJiaQuan
09-12-2006, 03:05 AM
cc,
do you have video of either of the kong on lineage fu pau you can post?

chasincharpchui
09-16-2006, 02:48 AM
wish i did, only ever saw footage of kong on wen i was really young, dont think anyone in hk would have it anymore either. the tapes are all moldy

Jimmy
12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
hiya guys, just pop up here to say hi.
I do Chow Ga too, my father is from Chow Ga as well, he's from Chow Tin's branch.

But I learn from my master, who is a student of Wong Kun Leung, which is Chow Biu's branch.

Nice to meet u all

oh, I wrote this Wiki article for Chow Ga :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jow_Ga

btw, Tai Lik, my master showed me a dvd with you performing Lo Han kuen back in HK :p

Tai-Lik
12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi Jimmy

Best regards to you and your Master Wong Kun Leung, who is always kind to me during visits.

When you have time please email me at jowga1@verizon.net

take care
Tai Lik

Jimmy
12-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Jimmy

Best regards to you and your Master Wong Kun Leung, who is always kind to me during visits.

When you have time please email me at jowga1@verizon.net

take care
Tai Lik

nonono, I'm not Wong Kung Leung's student. MY MASTER is his student. :p
Just to clarify :)

Fu-Pau
12-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi Jimmy

Nice to see another Chow Gar student out there! :)

Jimmy
12-20-2006, 01:25 AM
hi Fu Pau
you like fu pau?:)

Fu-Pau
12-20-2006, 08:43 PM
LOL :) Yes I like the look of fu pau kune. I have not actually learned that form yet though… ;)

jow ga man
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvV88bkZeY

This is my Sifu at the 2006 kuoshu tournament during the masters demonstration. Jow ga long pole " Bat Gua Gwan"

jow ga man
09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
This is my Si Hing Will performing Mui Fa Kuen " Flower Fists".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyA3ARpXR8

jow yeroc
09-24-2007, 12:52 PM
That's pretty good form. Didn't know he cut off the locks.

CLFNole
09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
That set has a bit of a CLF flow to it.

jow ga man
09-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Yet another video of my Si Hing Will. Preforming small tiger "Sui Fook fu"
Give Props to my Si dai Big John for putting the videos together That song is BAD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rubTzUuIQ

GrayMyst
09-29-2007, 12:08 PM
If you want to see some nice jow ga videos look on youtube for videos by the wongpeople. I am one of sifu wong's students and watching a student's form on youtube really gives me something to work towards in terms of perfecting my Jow Ga small tiger form

Jow_Ga
09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
WOOT! My brother! Thanks for the vids, I appreciate them!

Tai-Lik
09-30-2007, 04:20 PM
If you want to see some nice jow ga videos look on youtube for videos by the wongpeople. I am one of sifu wong's students and watching a student's form on youtube really gives me something to work towards in terms of perfecting my Jow Ga small tiger form

GrayMist, no doubt Wong students are excellent!

Best regards, "One Family"
Tai Lik

Tai-Lik
11-30-2007, 11:02 AM
another vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuR3tyYw5JE

Tai-Lik
11-30-2007, 11:08 AM
btw, in the last video posted you can see how i stand out at the guest table with my bald head :D

yaoli
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
another vid:

Very nice! Jow Ga very popular here in Hong kong.

Green Cloud
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
another vid:

Greetings Tai lik, that was a great lion dancing I was just wondering who the stocky chinese guy was he looked like he was doing strait out CLF in fact his sao choi were done exactly like the Green Cloud people do them. great stuff me and my students enjoyed all the clips thaks.

Tai-Lik
12-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Greetings Tai lik, that was a great lion dancing I was just wondering who the stocky chinese guy was he looked like he was doing strait out CLF in fact his sao choi were done exactly like the Green Cloud people do them. great stuff me and my students enjoyed all the clips thaks.

Hey Sifu Gus,

the guy you are referring to is a disciple from one of our famous grandmasters Lee Ngau. I love to watch this guy peform at every banquet. what always impressing me is his power at such age.

normally we don't use the term "So choy" in jow ga. we use "kum choy", which is similar to your sow/sao choy. we do pronounce the "so" the same as you in such terms as "so guerk", "so Gwan" etc.

i'm glad you guys liked the video:)

regards
Tai lik

jow yeroc
12-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks for putting that up here Tai lik!! I've had that one faved for a while.
That user has put up quite a few vids on youtube and yahoo, all with alot of
lion and some tournament stuff(Oi Chung Assoc. student?) I love this particular vid precisely for the elders
doing their forms. Not sure which forms the elders are doing (short clips) but
if i had to guess, I thought i saw some maan ji, siu hung kuen, and gawk ji.:confused:
I just know that those old guys had some serious snap. The one guy was
really swingin' for the fences(@ 5:40). He looked like he was gonna sock the
guy sitting in the audience:D Luv to see forms with power. Lol, i think you
were the only brother there!!
The one thing that irks me is when people just yap away at banquets when
the dai sigung is talking to them. Seems disrespectful, but thats my opinion.
Where's your clip of you doing the seung tao cheung?? I thought that was
on this vid, but maybe it's a different one from the same banquet?

Tai-Lik
12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey Jow Ye Roc

Yeah many of the seniors are still very strong. The one your mentioning is in his
60's :) What you don't see in this video is how long his form is and when he concludes, he walked away with so much vitality and energy.
He's also one of the jow ga ten you may have heard of who fought in those southeast asian tournaments and closed door ;) matches back in 60's/70's under Grandmaster Lee Ngau.

btw,i just talked Sifu Lee yesterday and we'll see you guys soon!

Take care
Tai Lik

jow yeroc
12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcuZmuTzG4I

A clip of my sihing Samson Lee.

Steeeve
12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Does anybody here know about one of the more old school in Montreal ,Quebec,Canada

The Wu Do Kan kwoon .....Gm Li sing Ming teache Jow ga since the mid seveentie from the lineage of Jow Biu to Li Ngou to Li sing Ming

Steeve

Tai-Lik
12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Does anybody here know about one of the more old school in Montreal ,Quebec,Canada

The Wu Do Kan kwoon .....Gm Li sing Ming teache Jow ga since the mid seveentie from the lineage of Jow Biu to Li Ngou to Li sing Ming

Steeve

Steeve, I've had communications with Sing Ming Li's son Chi Tao Li in the past but i don't know much except what you mentioned about Sing Ming and Li Ngau.

i wish i could tell you more.

Tai-Lik
12-12-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcuZmuTzG4I

A clip of my sihing Samson Lee.

Wow, now i feel old because i've known Samson since he was just a todler and now he's all grown up. He won the "Gold Cup" earlier this year at our tournament.

Good job Samson

mok
12-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Steeve

They have a reputation for being hardcore, solid, but with some not so good stuff:
last time I checked, their sifu (Master Li) had racist/sexist policies - he wouldn't teach women, and he wouldn't teach blacks (and this is widely known).

mok

Steeeve
12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi Mok

Do you train Hung Gar on Ste Catherine?

Does the Wu do kan is always in St Laurent street....

Steeve

Tai-Lik
12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
They have a reputation for being hardcore, solid, but with some not so good stuff:
last time I checked, their sifu (Master Li) had racist/sexist policies - he wouldn't teach women, and he wouldn't teach blacks (and this is widely known).

mok

That's a shame if it's true. Sing Ming Li's Sifu Li Ngau was great friends with my Sifu. Li Ngau visited our school in the early 70's. I know that Sing Ming Li didn't learn his racist or sexist ways from his sifu.

i guess i shouldn't expect a christmas card from Sing Ming Li :D

his son chi tao li uses jow ga history that i personally translated and wrote on his own website. you can my name in credit at the bottom:

http://www.chitaolikungfu.com/history.htm

Mok, check you pm

mok
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Mok

Do you train Hung Gar on Ste Catherine?

Does the Wu do kan is always in St Laurent street....

Steeve

Yes - I train on St-Catherine.

Again Steeve, Jow brothers: The reputation sifu Li and Wu Do Kan have is that their kungfu is top-notch, and they are probably considered the most hardcore school in town...

That said what I just said above regarding sifu Li's policies is widely-known, and I stand-by that statement. BTW: I represent only myself when I say this, not my school or my teachers. In all fairness master Li is from an older generation and he is not alone in cligning to old-fashioned opinions...

As for location - they were on St-Laurent, not sure if they are still there... I believe the son opened a school in the West Island, and perhaps he runs a more open school as well?

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions...

Steeeve
12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys

I have trained long time ago at the GM Li school .....in st laurent ....Probably the school is at the same place ....

The training is really tough.....a lot of horse training ....thats a real stuff...very traditionnal I remember to have to clean the floor before and after the training ...
The senior give the course ....GM Li was almost always there but just look the training and give some explainaition sometime or do correction in a personnal way (I mean he came to you and show you).

The first form you learned the dai Fuk Fu. and a staff form...)...Dont remember the name...anyway I was a beginner....
but before learned the form you learned some two men applications (more kind of self defense techniques)...
But a real good school .....two thumbs up:)

Steeve

Gru Bianca
12-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi Tai-Lik,

sorry for posting a not related question, but, what happened to the White Crane Ba gua gun set thread?

Regards

Tai-Lik
12-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Tai-Lik,

sorry for posting a not related question, but, what happened to the White Crane Ba gua gun set thread?

Regards

Hey Luca, check your pm :)

GeneChing
06-20-2017, 07:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12rrdb8WtY

GeneChing
08-24-2017, 08:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnOaFemfCFQ

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/images/ezine/Cov2008_5.jpg

September+October 2008 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=780)

Jow Ga vid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41996-Jow-Ga-vids) from KUNG FU TAI CHI 25TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69762-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-25TH-ANNIVERSARY-FESTIVAL-May-19-21-2017-San-Jose-CA)