The kids are pretty good! :cool:

Laukarbo
06-21-2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXi0p6GHzM&mode=related&search=

I liked this one

Asmo
06-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Yay! Backflips, they are amongst the deadliest techniques I know! :p

Laukarbo, interesting clip, nice performance. The energy sparks off it. Could I be right though noticing he might be overstretching his arms a little on punches and so?

Still, the energy the guy has makes it watching it very worthwhile.

PS: while watching the other clips, dont you get overly annoyed as well when all these teenage girls start screaming when the guy makes some type of jump, like as if thats what's it all about?

Laukarbo
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Laukarbo, interesting clip, nice performance. The energy sparks off it. Could I be right though noticing he might be overstretching his arms a little on punches and so?

Still, the energy the guy has makes it watching it very worthwhile.

I thought this looks much better than the usual Nan Quan forms..you are right with the over stretching..but the energy is right and it looks less dancy..:D

Eddie
06-22-2006, 01:46 AM
looking at the old school nanquan clip...

tell me again that forms players only do it for show and cant use their forms in a fight? ... that dude looks pretty able to use his nanquan in real combat. I mean, it does have CLF mixed between that.

Hes not over extending, thats how many southern players play their style - even CLF. that guy is good, but there seem to be a few guys called Southern fist king. Cant keep up with all of them.

I love that form

Laukarbo
06-22-2006, 02:17 AM
looking at the old school nanquan clip...

tell me again that forms players only do it for show and cant use their forms in a fight? ... that dude looks pretty able to use his nanquan in real combat. I mean, it does have CLF mixed between that.

Hes not over extending, thats how many southern players play their style - even CLF. that guy is good, but there seem to be a few guys called Southern fist king. Cant keep up with all of them.

I love that form

well ,well,well...i slightly disagree here..those wushu players shouldnt be underestimated thats right..but he may look good in what he does but they dont practise this with partner..never practise the applications..so dont be blinded by the lights..they are form experts of course they look powerful...and the older Nan Quan forms looked pretty much closer to our traditional forms than the new ones..
I was lucky enough to train for 3 months with the Zheijiang wushu team in Hangzhou..that was 1991 I also learned an ols school Nan Quan form but I never learned the application..why? They simply dont have them..nor practise them..
Its all good though..Im not a modern wushu hater..just wanna make claer thats just forms ...

peace

Eddie
06-22-2006, 03:30 AM
allot of kung fu players dont practice with partners either. makes their kung fu just as empty - traditional or not. Dont think that guy would suck in a fight, he seem to understand his movements and has the right energy for all that. In the end, fighting is about movement too.

Its very naive to think they cant use their skill in fight

Laukarbo
06-22-2006, 03:45 AM
allot of kung fu players dont practice with partners either. makes their kung fu just as empty - traditional or not. Dont think that guy would suck in a fight, he seem to understand his movements and has the right energy for all that. In the end, fighting is about movement too.

Its very naive to think they cant use their skill in fight

Well,I dont know all kung fu players but thats not the point...
The point is the different between form players and Kung fu players that do conditioning and applications..cos thats what modern wushu players not practise.
I also think the guy wouldnt suck in a fight..but still theres a difference.. if someone ever felt the impact by applying a block or even recieve a punch..
U can tell me wat u want but by training forms only you wont become a great fighter...thats in in my opinion rather naive to think..

Eddie
06-22-2006, 08:08 AM
I did not say that. I aggree with you mostly, just that I dont just asume because some guy does a modern form very well he automnatically suck in fighting.

I know exactly what it takes to be a fighter, and I agree with you. :rolleyes:

Still, it doesnt take anythign away from that guy. His nanquan is very good.

hasayfu
06-22-2006, 09:16 AM
I really enjoyed the old school Nan Quan. I don’t know how much “rumor” it is but I heard that Si-Gung Chiu Wai was one of the consultants for the old school set and this is the first form I can see the influence. Lot’s of Fu-Hok in that set.

I’m with Laukarbo on the fighting thing. Traditional schools that think doing forms (even two man sets) ONLY will teach them to use it in a fighting situation are delusional. But beyond that, there are points in this form that are just bad if you had contact. Not all of it mind you but the worse one to my eye is the butterfly palms near the end. His arms are too extended. If he did that with contact, it would hurt or knock him off balance.

Now you might say, that’s just punching through his target and he would never contact at full extension. What if his opponent side steps? Even if I give you that, the energy is completely wrong for applying that move. If you ever used this against a resisting opponent you’d know what I mean.

To be fair, a lot of “traditional” schools get this wrong too. That’s not my point. WuShu does this on purpose. I can’t speak for the CLF portions but for the HG portions, he has very little to no “Lau Kiu” or reserve bridging. This is what allows the movements to be useful.

I’m also no WuShu hater. I just enrolled my two kids in a WuShu program taught by an ex-traveling shaolin monk in the area. The training regimen they do would benefit anyone. I’d also take the old school nanquan guy over any XMA blackbelt. Both are in the same realm of performing art but the nanquan guy has more applicable basics.