PDA

View Full Version : OT: Domestic Partnerships

neilhytholt
06-21-2006, 01:45 PM
So this is totally off topic, but somebody told me the most brilliant thing I think today that I have heard in a while.

She's a single parent, like me, and she has problems with taking care of her kids with traveling for work, nobody to pick up the kids sometimes, etc.

She wondered why single parents don't get together for domestic partnerships, where they aren't married, aren't interested in each other for sex, but get together to form a family for the short or long term and help each other take care of the kids, pool finances, etc.

I think she's freaking brilliant. In fact, I think I might ask her to be my domestic partner, but I'm going to have to talk to my lawyer first about it.

Judge Pen
06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Isnt' that called a room-mate?

FuXnDajenariht
06-21-2006, 01:49 PM
but I'm going to have to talk to my lawyer first about it.

haha :D thats funny

neilhytholt
06-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Isnt' that called a room-mate?

I guess kindof like a room-mate, except you help each other out more.

Judge Pen
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I've seen this type of relationship among younger single-mothers, but I would be concerned that there would be underlying issues with it of someone in the opposite sex. Father issues to their child etc. that is imposed, but with no real binding commitment. What happens when your child comes to look at her as a mother figure and then she runs off and gets married to someone and is suddnely removed from your child's life.

And all that is assuming there's no sexual tension between you two.

neilhytholt
06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I've seen this type of relationship among younger single-mothers, but I would be concerned that there would be underlying issues with it of someone in the opposite sex. Father issues to their child etc. that is imposed, but with no real binding commitment. What happens when your child comes to look at her as a mother figure and then she runs off and gets married to someone and is suddnely removed from your child's life.

And all that is assuming there's no sexual tension between you two.

Well I grew up with a lot of people whose parents got re-married a few times, and they seemed to do okay. They were just the extended family.

Yeah, the opposite sex thing could be a problem. Not because of the sex thing I don't think, but because of the common law relationship thing, which is why I was planning to check with the lawyer.

I probably just need to find another single dad, it's just that they're much less common. I should have thought of this sooner, I guess.

Mr Punch
06-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I got 100 that says Neil ends up marrying this broad!

:D

neilhytholt
06-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I got 100 that says Neil ends up marrying this broad!

:D

Ummm ... NO. Neil is never getting married again. Divorce rate for second marriages in the U.S. is around 60%, and no way am I going to take a 60% chance of going through all that again.

The only way I'd ever marry again and go through that horror is if she gives me a dowry of like $2 million up front. And they don't have dowries anymore in the U.S.

Edit ... actually, scratch that. After the lies and manipulation of the last one, which if I didn't have so much evidence to the contrary, would have landed me in jail.

How much money is it worth to marry somebody with a 60% chance of divorce and who can make up all those kindof lies and wind you up in jail? Especially considering the extreme rate of Hep-C and HIV in jail and all that.

I'm thinking more like $50 million or something like that. Let's just say, no, Neil's never getting married again.

Hard Fists
06-22-2006, 04:10 AM
So really...how definate is the no sex thing? I mean, maybe I'm just a pig or something but if your not gettin any right now maybe you could slip in there a couple nights a week. I am a firm believer that men and women needs that type of release, even if there is no relationship behind it.

FuXnDajenariht
06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
lol your seriously a downer bro.

BM2
06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
So really...how definate is the no sex thing? I mean, maybe I'm just a pig or something but if your not gettin any right now maybe you could slip in there a couple nights a week. I am a firm believer that men and women needs that type of release, even if there is no relationship behind it.

I was thinking the same thing, unfortunatly women are like camels and can go a lot longer:rolleyes: . I have been married 19 years next week and the longer your married, the longer you have to go.:( I am just lucky she looks in her early 30s instead of 40s. :D

Hard Fists
06-23-2006, 04:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing, unfortunatly women are like camels and can go a lot longer . I have been married 19 years next week and the longer your married, the longer you have to go. I am just lucky she looks in her early 30s instead of 40s.

Yeah, no sh!t and kids just make it worse. I was just getting back into the swing of things in my house and my wife winds up pregnant again...Looks like a drought ahead. Congrats on your anniversary man, thats good stuff.