PDA

View Full Version : chi gung or sleep more?

travelsbyknight
06-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I was doing chi gung last night. I get up at 5:30am every weekday. I usually go to sleep at 12am...or later. I know. It sucks. Tell me about it. Chi gung usually gets done at 11pm.

Anywho, here's my question. Should I go for that extra hour of sleep or do chi gung at 11pm?

TonyM.
06-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Unless you're falling asleep during Chi Gong I'd stick with your current plan.

D-FENS
06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Why not just do some quiet sitting before bed, then do the Chi Kung first thing in the morning to give you that extra energy buzz? It's better than coffee, I assure you. :)

SPJ
06-25-2006, 12:49 AM
you need your Zee.

:)

SPJ
06-25-2006, 12:50 AM
eat properly and rest/sleep properly.

:)

alquimista
06-25-2006, 08:44 AM
It depends what kind of qigong you are doing ... in the night you should practice most of all relax breathing exercises to calm your mind (Shen) so your sleep will be productive and relaxing (15-20 minutes itīs what i usualy do). If you practice more Yang exercices like moving forms or Qi circulation exercises then you should go to sleep early in the night and get up early in the morning to practice before you go to work ... you will be in a good mood all day long ...

Enjoy,
Jorge

travelsbyknight
06-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Here's more info on the situation.

I only get about 4 o 5 hours of sleep every night. I fall asleep on the road on the way home from work almost every day. That's why I asked the question. I think I need to change something in my schedule because in my case getting more sleep would benefit me more than the chi gung.

Thanks for the responses.

cha kuen
06-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Your health needs to be 100% in order to reap the full benefits of chi kung, then later when you get more hardcore in chi kung, then u can get away with less sleep and tons of energy.

so i would say , sleep more.....and find time after you have been fullly rested to practice chi kung.

pmann
06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
My knowledge of chi gung is limited, but one of the things I really do appreciate about tai chi chuan is that even 15 minutes a day is enough to feel that I am maintaining my practice and improving. most days I do closer to one hour, plus class twice a week, but it seems the important thing is the commitment to practice every day, with occasional day off when feeling exhausted.
rooftops, parks or any empty or semi-private space can be appropriated during busy days. i wonder if the simple discipline of making this happen is not a big part of the value of the art.

Fu-Pow
06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Sleep is the priority.

imperialtaichi
06-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Some years ago, a friend of mine was diagnosed with pancreas cancer and was given 6 mths to live. He practiced Qigong daily and he lived on for over 10 yrs. Until one day his mum overseas got sick, so he worked few jobs and lots of overtime to pay for the medical bills. Sadly, he neglected his qigong and rest, and ended up dying from the cancer within six months...

Qigong is like a growing tree. You need good soil, water, sunshine and lots of TLC for it to grow.

Bottom line is, DON'T stress yourself out! Take time out to sleep and do Qigong. I don't care if you sleep and do Jazz-Ballet, but your health and well-being is more important than work and money.

Take care. Look after yourself.

Cheers,
John

chud
06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Some years ago, a friend of mine was diagnosed with pancreas cancer and was given 6 mths to live. He practiced Qigong daily and he lived on for over 10 yrs. Until one day his mum overseas got sick, so he worked few jobs and lots of overtime to pay for the medical bills. Sadly, he neglected his qigong and rest, and ended up dying from the cancer within six months...

Qigong is like a growing tree. You need good soil, water, sunshine and lots of TLC for it to grow.

Bottom line is, DON'T stress yourself out! Take time out to sleep and do Qigong. I don't care if you sleep and do Jazz-Ballet, but your health and well-being is more important than work and money.

Take care. Look after yourself.

Cheers,
John

Great post Dr Fung.
travelsbyknight: I would just add that you could do Qigong in the morning and standing practice (Zhan Zhuang) in the evening.