PDA

View Full Version : Rebuttal Concerning Professor Lau Bun and Hung Sing Elders

tenfists
06-23-2006, 09:31 PM
My name is Dennis Dino Salvatera, head Sefu of the Hung Sing in the USA. I am writing this notice after talking with some of my elders and my teacher. The Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut people are very proud and respectable people. From time to time, people put out stories about some of our people, saying they are gangsters and killers. There are even glorious stories of their feats. These are bald-faced lies. I personally met and talked with Professor Lau Bun and my teacher Jew Leong, for many years. We have always been good community active people trying to keep younger people out of trouble, especially in San Francisco Chinatown, where I was born. Over the years, we had many women in Hung Sing, since our beginnings in the 1930’s, who went on to become productive family people and never caused one bit of trouble, No, no-one of our people killed anyone. Yes, we have fought; sometimes it was rough living here in Chinatown, just like other cities in America.

Our goals are and always will be teaching health, self defense and hopefully, good citizens. We do not think we are better than any branch, group or person.

Thank you,
Dino Salvatera
Hung Sing USA

(This message posted on behalf of Sefu Dino)

Fu-Pow
06-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Looks like somebody might have got a spanky from Sifu.

FP

lkfmdc
06-24-2006, 06:11 AM
People freaked out when I posted stories about Chan Tai San, even some people in our group were trying to cover them up. It isn't politically correct, and sometimes the facts show that "masters" are just people, not g-ds. It's also ok to come from a background like that and then become a "good person" and help your community. I can see room for both world views

htowndragon
06-24-2006, 12:14 PM
you cant be from either taiwan or hong kong or live in chinatown without having someone or another that you know who knows somebody who knows Tong, Triad, etc. thats just what you get for being asian.

thats why the lau bun and CTS stories had more of a "finally someone tells the truth" affect on me

CLFNole
06-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I agree I don't know too many CLF sifus that don't have some connection to "hak sei wui" from their sifu's, sisuks, sibaats or sigungs. I know we have some history within our own lineage; however it is not something generally discussed openly and students nowadays have no clue.

Frank:

You should remember you did go on about Lau Bun being a "hatchet man" and other things.

T. Cunningham
06-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Interesting thread. In every lineage, just like in every family there are things that are too politically hot to discuss openly. Consequently these tidbits are kept within the family. The events of the past and the parts our ancestors played (the good, the bad, and the questionable) are major impactors on who we are today. This is why we pay homage to them when we walk into the school and when we leave; thanking them for the lessons they've learned the hard way so that we can have things a bit easier. In my opinion, knowing your past is essential in plotting a path for your future. Keep up the research Frank.

htowndragon
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
footage of lau bun?

post some please!

buddajoe
06-25-2006, 08:01 PM
i

So, I documented their pasts, and have even been complimented by Jew Leong in the work that I'm doing. So I KNOW he's not referring to my work and efforts in preserving our history.

there is an article on jew leong in INSIDE KUNG-FU, vol.3,#1, jan. 1976, by michael p staples. in that interview jew leong states his linage very clearly. he also mentions the same incident you make in your so-called professor Lau Bun website. it seems to me that jew sifu would have better sources than yours. sifu's version has a ring of truth to it. your version seems to enjoy the idea of one man killing officers of the law for a immigration violation. IS THIS NOT A CRIME? this really smacks of wanton violence and fostering gangterism. the fact is Lau Bum's papers were in perfect order and he received social security when he retired. this is vertified throught public records. you only had to look. well i sure you can't call jew sifu a bald face liar or would you really go that far? jew sifu told my classmate last nov. "that if anyone who wanted to talk about Lau Bun, that person should contact him". your lack of scholarship, as well as your gossip-like research is plebian. you just don't get it! you are soiling the name of hung sing! you have hurt all elders of both jew sifu's generation as well as dino's generation. your truth has a hollow ring and does not serve the style as you say is your mission.

hskwarrior
06-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Simple as this Troy,

You got beef? yes or no?

if not, explain why you're jumping on me.

I ain't gonna argue with you, you do what you do. but if you got beef, let it be known.

if something needs to be handled let that be known.

You started this, not me.

buddajoe
06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Perhaps I can make it easier for you to understand:
I could say that sifu Jew gave the studio’s pictures to David Dea who gave them to dino. which you used in articles without permission.
I could say the weapons, drums and lions from hung sing studio are not in the hands of dino for a reason.
I could also say that the red spear that Lau Bun practiced in his lifetime is in the hands of Larry Johnson the first Caucasian who became a sifu in 1978 and presented to him by jew sifu.
I could say that a sifu who calls himself a grandmaster today was beaten to a pulp by a George Long student over thirty years ago.
i could also say i know the contents of the safe kept by Lau Bun.
Although I know everything I have said is true I cannot verify it! (i couldn't resist acting like you) Just because someone repeats a untrue, unverified story does not make it gospel. You must have proof or evidence: a newspaper, eyewitness account, or even a police report. It would be better to research Lau Bun good deeds, his huge contributions to Chinatown outside of kung-fu than this puerile interest in blood and gore.

Fu-Pow
06-26-2006, 09:09 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hard Fists
06-26-2006, 09:59 AM
You really are making your style look bad you know...no offense meant, but y'all sound like some strait b!tches.

The Xia
07-24-2006, 03:00 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your zoomshare essays. Its fascinating to read about America's first Gung Fu teacher. Btw, whats the story with Anthony Quinn? Is he a confirmed Lau Bun student or is this just hearsay?

The Xia
07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Interesting stuff. Regular student or not, it seems like a big thing for Lau Bun to have dealt with a non-Chinese. Makes you wonder what about Anthony Quinn instilled trust in Lau Bun.