PDA

View Full Version : Pakua Question- Concerning Master Park

Stranger
06-01-2001, 08:41 PM
Is anybody here a student of Bok Nam Park? Is his style of Pakua even remotely similar to that taught at other schools? Does it resemble any of the two MAIN branches of Pakua seen in the West (Yin Fu or Cheng-ting Hua's)?
I am going to live about two - three hours away from his school for at least a year (maybe longer, maybe permanently). Obviously I am concerned that since Master Park's lineage is so unique, I would find a difficult time transferring to another Pakua school if work forced me to relocate. My life is kind of in flux career wise, and I can't guarantee where I will end up down the line.
Are Master Park's skills acknowledged by the majority of the Pakua community (I know he is famous, but do other pakua teachers agree they are on the same wave length so to speak)?

"Luminous beings are we."

virus fist
06-02-2001, 12:42 AM
Stranger

Do your body and mind a favor,go and see for yourself.

What a fortunate man you are,to be near Master Park school,if I were you I will run there as soon as possible,see him in person,asks questions, watch a class and if you are lucky enough to be accepted,train and learn as hard as you can,because ,you are going to have to look long and hard, all over the world to find a teacher of Pa Kua with the skills and knowlwdge of Master Park.

I guarantee you whatever you learn there will be real Pa Kua skills and be worth in gold.

Also, he is a traditional teacher and(depending on your experience ),you will be learning Pa Kua fundamental skills for the first couple of years,wich you can apply in any MA.

Good luck to you.

VF

RAF
06-02-2001, 08:52 PM
Over the years I have read a lot of the material put out by Park Laoshi. He was one of the first to describe post training, his lineage is honest and I think very respectable, and I think a lot of his training and forms lean more to the Yin Fu side.

I do not think anything contradicts what I have learned so far. If given the opportunity, I'd go for it with him. Besides you want a traditional teacher. They will go slow enough so you can judge their character and they can judge your character. After a couple of years, you'll pretty much know if its a match or not. You also want someone who will keep you in the basics for a very long time. Learning advanced forms and techniques without the basics will waste your time over the long run

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 01:19 AM
Hi,

I'm a student of Sifu park in the Baltimore class.

He's awesome. The real deal.

Most of the people who study with him have been in the martial arts for decades hopping from one style to the next trying to find a complete system. I know that i've always asked the question..."Why do we do the form this way but we fight like kick boxers."

there is no questions like that to be asked. You see the form. You see the form in use in fighting.

there's meditation and chi gong...and fighting and weapons and forms.

He trained the old style way...full time everyday ALL DAY.

his senior student in Va is OUT OF THIS WORLD too. He has a great wealth of information about martial arts and fighting also. He talks the talk and can WITH OUT A DOUBT Walks the walk as well.

Sifu has students though out the world and the US.

For the first few years you'll be doing basics only. And where ever you move you'll sure to be near a school or be able to visit some where for a weekend class. Some people drive from 3-4 states away to take class on weekends. During seminars people from Ohio and further come.

His class is all about your own initiative (sp?) If you want true ability you'll have to put in true time and effort. 1 hour a day every day on the palm.

If you can't use the art...there's only yourself to blame. He has this saying of, "I'll show you '1' you show me '2' and '3'." That's a TON of responsibilty and you gotta work hard to get the gold.

He's the first person i've seen that's able to use the internal arts to fight. I take that back...he's the first person i've seen that's able to use ANY form of KUNGFU in a fight. His power is what all the internal books have talked about. Abilty to send chi into the body.

As you can see..I have no doubts.

BUT time is the factor. Unless you can devote the TIME. I think Pa Kua is an extremely HARD and DIFFICULT art to use.

visit the web site...www.pa-kua.com...visit the school and talk with sifu. Get the book and video.

Best of luck and don't take my word on it...visit and chat and see what I have seen.

When he talks you'll say "THAT makes total sense...why hasn't anyone else said it like that." There's no mystery to it. He doesn't hold back knowledge...you just have to want to work hard!

I'll stop here...but could go on for hours. I've been searching for over 15 years...for true kungfu.

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 01:33 AM
one more thing...

The best way to answer your other question is for you to buy the complete set of Ba Gua Chang Journals. 30 plus issues about Ba Gua and ONLY Ba Gua written in the 90s.

ANYone who's anyone in the field of Ba Gua is featured in this series. Talks about history philosphy and takes you all over the world. to China, to Tawain, around the US to the best masters of Ba Gua.

Sifu Park is one of them. Hope this gives you more info to your question.

http://www.plumflower.com (for journals)

kungfu cowboy
06-08-2001, 11:25 AM
Any students in Ohio?

(I seriously need a life.)™

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 01:48 PM
check sifu's web site...

www.pa-kua.com (http://www.pa-kua.com)

kungfu cowboy
06-08-2001, 05:49 PM
If there is a school listing on that site I couldn't find it. :(

walkthecircle
06-09-2001, 07:26 AM
To tell you the honest truth...if you really want to learn Pa Kua...you could do it.

There's a 5 day summer camp held every year in June. That's 5 full days to get practice material and corrections. Usually fills up fast with students getting first pick.

Then you could visit VA a few times a year.

At least for the first few years it's just repeat repeat repeat and drill drill drill.

If you get his book you'll see the basic stances then the 48 month palm set. It will take lots of practice just doing those. 2 years right there...if you want to train the right way. To get and feel the beginnings of the power that books have talked about.

I have met one person who was learning from Ohio (he surprised me 2 years ago when i met him)...he drove from Ohio to Baltimore for a seminar. I was so shocked!! Some people are just hard core like that.

There's many people in other countries who only see sifu but twice a year. I think they train harder then the folks who see him every month.

It's all in how much you want it and maybe there's someone closer who may suit your needs just as well?

Check out the Pa Kua Chang Journals from that site and read them. I re-read them all the time. Many issues are out of print already. Really gets you into the art and gets you into a master's mind...and how they trained. I just read today about 320 circles before a position change!!! That's nuts! But it's what it takes to be as good as they were.

ALSO a personal note: Great masters are a rare breed these days. How many in modern society have the determination and the time to practice all day every day in the martial arts?

Soke every minute of it up that you can...I personally love Pa Kua. You may love Hsing Yi or other style. The thing i love about Pa Kua is the simplicty and the complexity of it...the sheer fact that you can practice it til very old age and still be powerful as hell and a good fighter. You attain great health too. In one Pa Kua chang journal it talks about iron palm and how many masters learned that the internal hits of pa kua were just as powerful as the use and development of the iron palm. This is serious stuff.

I'm learning slowly but I want the real transmission NOT the watered down stuff.

kungfu cowboy
06-10-2001, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I guess there are options. I have heard only good things about the man. Thanks!

ascan
06-10-2001, 06:30 PM
you might try asking the black taoist or maoshan. Search for their posts and see their profiles. They know a whole lot about Pa Kua and have been practicing for a very long time. And I've heard their very good.
They might be able to tell you about Sifu park from a professional point of view.

wisdom mind
06-10-2001, 07:49 PM
www.blacktaoist.com (http://www.blacktaoist.com)

dwid
06-10-2001, 08:10 PM
kungfu cowboy

Just my humble opinion, but if you want to learn Pa Kua, either find a teacher near you, or move somewhere closer to a teacher. Pakua is no art to learn in seminars. It requires far too much personal attention from your instructor. If you visit a couple of times a year, you have six months to practice something incorrectly before your instructor even has an opportunity to fix it. I understand walkthecircle's enthusiasm, as good internal instructors are so very rare. However, seeing an instructor once or twice a year is not the kind of compromise you want to make. I train in Pakua in Columbus from a very low-key instructor who knows his sh!t. If you're interested(if that's not too far to drive), e-mail me:

dwidrick_von_stratton@hotmail.com

Ma_Xu_Zha
06-10-2001, 09:30 PM
people like you annoy me.

People that are so curious all the time will get all kinds of advice from the internet and never follow through at times. You may try to go one time to his school and never follow through again. its all about training hard with alot of wisdom... why waste my breath on you. I studied pakua with park and have told many a people to go study with park some have... and some havent. I only say this- read his article on the value of your art that park wrote recently. i know you study hsing yi isnt that enough right now?

walkthecircle
06-10-2001, 09:38 PM
too many people collect styles like pairs of shoes. You end up not being able use any of it. Like what you see in tournament circles ALL over the country.

Get serious and stay the course. One style for a modern life style is plenty. AND will give you all the power and health and fighting ability you can handle.

Give kungfu back it's good name!

strong and dedicated practice my brothers.

;

dwid
06-10-2001, 10:35 PM
amen brothers

I know many of the types of people you're talking about, and their dilettantism shows in their technique. Practicing a kung fu style is like taking care of a baby bird, it requires meticulous care and incredible patience, but if you stay the course, as it matures, you can see the grace and power that only this kind of care will create.

virus fist
06-12-2001, 04:28 AM
walkthecircle

I am glad to know that you train under Master Park.
Looks like you didn't make it to camp,in Baltimore,this year,
Anyway,I see by the number of your posts that you have been training hard in the last two weeks(just kidding).

Keep it on.

VF

Water Dragon
06-12-2001, 04:45 AM
I have heard that Park Bok Nam was definately the real deal but held a lot back, even to senior students. Is this true? If so, has he begun to open up more?

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

walkthecircle
06-12-2001, 05:18 AM
visit and learn and taste for yourself.

Look forward to meeting those of you who decide to learn Pa Kua chang.

Strong practice!

Water Dragon
06-12-2001, 05:42 AM
but I doubt it. I got too much training of my own to tackle without trying to do Bagua also. We use a couple drills from the system, but they are only to develop specific aspects of what we're doing.

Still, much respect for Master Park and those that are studying under him. It's good to hear that the last thing is going on. Only a few who bust there azz off for years will "get it" even if it becomes public knowledge. Of course, there may be many who steal the words, but "Flower Fists and Brocade Legs"

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

brassmonkey
06-12-2001, 08:02 AM
I've followed alot of your threads on the old
Mousels and here and if you dont mind me asking
maybe you could compare your training methology
between Tai Chi Chuan, Shuai Chiao and BJJ and
how they mix together. Do you believe it neccesary
to study BJJ or JUdo etc. for vale tudo or do you
think Tai Chi principles can be applied to the ground?

The Willow Sword
06-12-2001, 08:13 AM
i ALMOST went to a seminar of his in houston texas. man i had to cancel at the last minute. i would have loved to have been there to learn from him,,i talked with him over the phone once and he was very polite and nice and was excited that i wanted to do his seminar(he has a student in houston that teaches) if he ever comes to new mexico i will definately attend a seminar.
i have alot of publications of his downloaded off the internet. his books are wonderful.
i like the pa kua that i do but i would looove to learn his style of pakua.
many respects,,Willow Sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.

walkthecircle
06-12-2001, 03:21 PM
I think you may be thinking of someone else?

Sifu Park bok nam does not have a branch/student in Texas.

walkthecircle
06-12-2001, 03:26 PM
Ohhh...

He was in Texas for this masters demo that all the who's who in kung fu performed. Back in the 90's.

You can get the video on-line somewhere. It's poor sound quality but SOME of the kung fu is awesome! I watch that thing over and over...so inspiring.

Wing chun, pa-kua, long fist, hsing yi, 7 star, swey jou (sp?), chen, yang, wu, AND some flexi sword style stuff also. Something for everyone.

€

Water Dragon
06-13-2001, 01:29 AM
First, the difference between Taiji and Shuai Jiao is minimal. I think the biggest difference between those two is that my Shuai Jiao classes are "garage" style. Meaning, I don't pay but I do what I'm told and if I don't like it I leave. Translation: They bust my butt every class and expect me to do the same on my own. That taiji classes focused more on principle than the physically demanding aspects. However, the deeper I get into what I'm doing now, the more I see that a lot of stuff was always "hinted" at. The main difference is probably the bigger focus on relaxation in Taiji. It's there in the other stuff, but not really emphasised. It's much more of a "do this enough and you'll get it" Enough usually means that I walk funny for a few days or can't move my arms right. But, I recently developed the ability to cut air in my strikes, so I'm getting there.

BJJ is similar in principle but totally different in application. The idea of yielding is there, but learning Taiji will be of minimal help on the ground. The sensitivity is useful but you really need to learn the art or you will be slaughtered. Good stance is replaced by good position (guard, mount, cross mount, etc.) And the main idea is to seperate a part from the center with your position so it is made weaker and more vulnerable when attacked. Taiji has the idea of going directly to the center to cause mass damage. The "Center Principle" is there but totally different.

BJJ definately rocks though and is a first rate martial art.

brassmonkey
06-13-2001, 05:51 AM
I've never heard of this cutting air with strikes or not in that wording. Is this such sensitivity that you feel the heaviness of the air?

The Willow Sword
06-13-2001, 08:49 AM
this was a seminar held in houston last year around may. i forget the guys name who sponsored him down there but if you ask master park he will tell you that he taught a seminar in houston around that time,,i actually got the info off the website( not lying at all). maybe this man was not a student but then why would his number be on master parks web site at the time?
any way many respects to you and your teacher,,he is a true treasure,,,,,is master park putting everything on video now? i would like to get a hold of his video pubs, if he has any.
many respects,,willow sword

Guandi
06-13-2001, 09:41 AM
>maybe this man was not a student but then why
>would his number be on master parks web site at
>the time?

maybe just as a contact information for people who wants to attend at the seminar.

Guandi

Water Dragon
06-13-2001, 03:29 PM
It's simply making a swish sound when you strike.

walkthecircle
06-13-2001, 03:30 PM
www.plumflower.com (http://www.plumflower.com) and many other book stores
have his 2 books and 2 videos. Book 1 and tape 1 are a good into to his philosphy of fighting and chi gong and building basics. That' 2 years right there. = )

There is a branch in California. Not sure how close that is for you?

One group from NYC drives down every few months to Baltimore??? All in what you want?

Also the Ba Gua Chang journals are awesome! To get a broad look at all the styles of Ba Gua and teachers around the world.

virus fist
06-13-2001, 06:41 PM
The willow sword

For your information,one of the best instructors from Master Park system is living in Santa Fe,as well as other students.

I don't know if he is accepting students right now,but he can give you a real good taste of Pa Kua Chang,check the web site for his number and call him.

It will make you very happy.

Best wishes.

VF

walkthecircle
06-13-2001, 08:43 PM
His name is Yan (forget his last name)

The Willow Sword
06-14-2001, 05:23 AM
Santa fe is just a circle walk away from where i am at. i looked on the site last night but i didnot see a listing of school branches. where do i look or could you possibly e-mail the info to me?....oh man,,to be able to study with someone who has learned from master park would be wonderful. to bring master park to new mexico would be great as well. i know a lot who would love to have seminar in Taos with him hosting.
many respects,,,willow sword

walkthecircle
06-14-2001, 08:48 PM
I'll get the contact info for you. Is the email on your profile good?

If so...i'll email that to ya over the weekend.

Only thing is I'm not sure if he's teaching?

I'll check on that also.â€*

The Willow Sword
06-18-2001, 10:57 AM
i apologize for not replying sooner(been busy) yes end me te info i would like to look this teacher up.
many respects ,,willow sword

walkthecircle
06-20-2001, 04:24 AM
I just emailed you the info...let me know if you have problems getting in touch w/him.

Best of luck