PDA

View Full Version : Internal Arts and Health

BruceSteveRoy
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I will be the first to admit i don't know much about the internal arts so i figure i should check with the people that do. I was curious about the health benefits they offer. The question i have is whether the health benefits are typically of a preventative nature or curative nature. I am sure they are for both and i know that its such a general question. But any information would be great. Thanks.
Regards
~steve

Crushing Fist
06-28-2006, 12:56 PM
well first I am no expert...

but from what I understand the Chinsese way of Medicine focuses a great deal more on prevention than the Western.

In the West Medicine is a War... We're battling diseases.

Whereas it is my understanding that the Chinese way would be better described as Cultivating Health.

Supposedly, in the olden times it reflected poorly on a chinese doctor if his patient became ill. Contrast that with the west where one would not see a doctor unless there was already an illness.

I think the health benefits from internal arts are in line with this "cultivating health" approach, though there may certainly be curative effects as well.

BruceSteveRoy
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks. That is a very interesting insight and not something i had considered before.

qiphlow
06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
some health benefits are:

lowered blood pressure
better circulation to extremities
less stress
strengthened immune system
better sleep

and i'm sure there are more...

Ray Pina
06-30-2006, 07:45 AM
My master has helped me in so many ways I could never really repay him.

I used have have really bad knees from a condition (oshgoodslaughter sp?) a lot of teen boys get and then from football... and I'm sure holding horse stance all those years in karate and Hung Gar didn't help either.

Now, because of a taiji excerise my master showed me, I have no pain, even during rain, which is something I haven't experienced since 5th grade.

Also, I must have dropped at least 15lbs, am more aware of my body overall. Know how to keep my spine straight and healthy. It's just an overall improvement in well being, and understanding of my body and energy.

I can feel when I need to rest, take it easy, feel when I need to do a little internal standing, or sitting because legs need a rest, etc., etc. But overall, much stronger. From the inside.