PDA

View Full Version : Information request

Geoffrey
07-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Hello,

I'm doing some research about different fighting technics like Judo, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, Kung Fu, etc.

I wanted to ask two questions:

1) What's the main difference between Kung Fu and Judo, Karate...
2) Could you tell me something more about the sleephold as I can't find any information about it... . Is it a Kung Fu technic?

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey :)

EarthDragon
07-02-2006, 06:30 AM
hi Geffy.

1. kung fu is Chinese and Judo is Japanese.
2. The sleeper hold is what you get when you ask these kinds of questions. zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

Ben Gash
07-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Sleephold is a western wrestling term. In oriental terms it would be classed as a choke or strangle .
Judo is a martial sport based entirely on wrestling and throwing, developed at the end of the 19th/beginning 20th century from JuJitsu which had become socially disreputable. It's founding principles involved heavy emphasis on personal development and education.
Karate has it's origins in Fujian kung fu taught on the Japanese Island of Okinawa. In it's oldest form it is still very reminiscent of Fujian Kung Fu, but as time went on and it shifted to Japan it became more stripped down and more Japanese, becoming a highly formal standup system.
Kung Fu is an umbrella term used to describe all Chinese martial arts (although that's not what it actually means), encompassing hundreds of distinct styles with definite regional and cultural delineations. Each school has it's own fighting principles and emphasis, but typically most Kung Fu involves use of stances, generating power with the whole body, and simultaneous attack and defence using "bridges".

EarthDragon
07-02-2006, 08:27 AM
thanks Ben for that informative post, however dont you think that question was poking fun? hence my response, but its hard to sort through the sincere from the troll. I answerd a question with a serious, lengthy and educated answer and beat down for it.

If one were doing research would that person ask on a forum or pick up a book?

Ben Gash
07-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Who knows, maybe he lives in a small town with limited access to relevant material, maybe he's not got much spare cash to buy books etc with, and anyway, how do you know which book to get?
It did cross my mind that he may be trolling, but if he is he's not very good at it. I've not said anything contentious or made any value judgements, so it would be kinda difficult to shoot me down. I generally return an adult post with an adult post. Actually I usually respond to posts with subtexts and overtones with adult posts, life's just easier that way :cool:

BoulderDawg
07-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Who knows, maybe he lives in a small town with limited access to relevant material, maybe he's not got much spare cash to buy books etc with, and anyway, how do you know which book to get?
It did cross my mind that he may be trolling, but if he is he's not very good at it. I've not said anything contentious or made any value judgements, so it would be kinda difficult to shoot me down. I generally return an adult post with an adult post. Actually I usually respond to posts with subtexts and overtones with adult posts, life's just easier that way :cool:

I agree with that.

It appears that some people are extremely rude and want to drive new people away from the art.

I guess that's what you get on a BB.

EarthDragon
07-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Ben you are absolutly right, I jumped on the guy before I made my decision. And it truley could be a honest question, although I knew and heard of the sleeper hold when I was 5 so its seemed like a bogus thread at first.

Fu-Pow
07-02-2006, 12:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_fu

Knifefighter
07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
A sleeper hold is a choke done from behind with the arms, not to be confused with the bar arm esophogeal choke. It cuts of the blood circulation to the brain, causing the person to lose consciousness. When the person regains consciousness, he often reports dreaming to have occurred. Hence, the term sleeper choke.

In submission wrestling it is called the rear naked choke. In BJJ, the mate leon.

BlueTravesty
07-03-2006, 08:03 AM
A VERY effective technique! *shudders*

David Jamieson
07-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Hello,

I'm doing some research about different fighting technics like Judo, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, Kung Fu, etc.

I wanted to ask two questions:

1) What's the main difference between Kung Fu and Judo, Karate...
2) Could you tell me something more about the sleephold as I can't find any information about it... . Is it a Kung Fu technic?

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey :)

No offense Geoffrey, but just looking at your post indicates that you should start doing a lot of reading.

kungfu is not a technique and it's not a style by itself.

sleepers are applications that cut blood supply or oxygen to the brain, there's more than one way to choke someone out and put them unconcious.

anyway, go to the ezine and read some articles, pick up[ a few magazines, books etc.

There's no quick answers for you here at the state you are beginning from.

EarthDragon
07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
knifefighter, to correct your post......

A sleeper hold is a choke done from behind with the arms, not to be confused with the bar arm esophogeal choke. It cuts of the blood circulation to the brain, causing the person to lose consciousness.

Actually a choke to the esophogus cuts off eating..... hence the function of the esophogus to swallow so your a little off there, I think you meant to say treacheal choke which by the way cuts off oxygen not blood, so you are confusing this with the carrodid artery which carries blood.

BruceSteveRoy
07-03-2006, 12:10 PM
from the few years of judo i did we were always taught to choke the air way. However, i think everyone is pretty quick to learn that if you move the position of your hands over a little its much quicker to cut off the blood to the brain. so you are right in correcting him about the esophagus but you can choke either the arteries or the airway.