PDA

View Full Version : kungfulibrary e-books

Shaolin101
07-04-2006, 06:38 AM
Just wondered if anyone had read any form the above site. Wondered if they are any good - the trail versions dont seem too bad of the ones i read. Any favourites?

Not looking to learn from them! Just something to read for info/understanding.

BlueTravesty
07-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Most of those training manuals would seem to be best as an historical learning aid, so it is good that you don't wish to learn from them. However, if you can find the book, I would check out Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1556435576/sr=8-1/qid=1152041468/ref=sr_1_1/102-3669427-0324132?ie=UTF8) by Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo. Quite a few of the books on that site are reviewed and discussed in there (such as the Shaolin 72 Arts book by Jing Ing Zhong.) Of the books at the kungfulibrary site, I think the ones by Lam Sai Wing would be very informative, as well as the Tang Family Hong Fist book.

G-MA
06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
The Training Methods of 72 Arts of Shaolin is a GREAT book. It contains Training Methods of The Shaolin Temple from the late 1800's to the early 1900's. You're going to get the most old school kung fu training ever. Although for almost every exercise it gives you're going to need some kind of resource for it. Like bricks, stone, trees, ect. and you'll need to build your own training equipment that is told in the book. Also some of the methods take a long time to master. Like one exercise may take 10 years to master while another may only take less than a year. In all the book is great for learn the 72 Skills of Shaolin and in it you'll get quotes from various different Shaolin Monks from that time and it contains a speech from the Revrend Abbot of that time, Miao Xing about training and learning combat. The book has many good points and suprising information about ones health like thinking for a long amount of time is harmful to the spleen.:eek:
I hope I helped you out!!!:D

Dale Dugas
06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
That book is so full of things that will harm you. Its fiction. Pure fiction that will harm you.

Stay away from it.

G-MA
06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
What makes you say that???

Golden Arms
06-28-2007, 02:55 PM
No joke, when I read through a bit of it, I seriously wondered how much of it was taken from old movies. There are some semi legit things in there, but in each case only part of the training was presented, often NOT the part that keeps your body from getting messed up by doing it.

G-MA
06-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Now that you say that I've noticed some exercises, that I don't do, that could mess up certain parts of your body. Example: Stand in Ma Bu and punch your knees 36 times then massage the knees 72 times. This "Iron Knees" but wouldn't your knees get deformed from this? It does say in many of the exercises about problems you could face if you don't do a certain thing to correct it. Like a exercise apart of Iron Palm which says in the book if you don't use this "secret" Remedy(don't know if it is Dit Da Jow) or your hands will rot and fall off!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
I don't do these exercises just because I don't want to put my health on the line.
But many of the other exercises work very well.