PDA

View Full Version : Beginner interested in Shaolin Kung Fu

Brannon77
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi, new to the boards.

I'm strongly considering signing up for classes at a local academy. The school looks authentic, and judging by the frankness of the curriculum (an estimated 4-5 years to reach the "golden black sash") seems to be more than legit. I'm not interested in something that just wants to take my money and leave me with nothing. The main reason I'm interested in Shaolin over other martial arts is the character building aspects mixed with discipline as well as attaining relative physical "perfection." The philosophy does interest me. I won't deny that I would like to become as good a fighter as possible, but that's secondary right now. I've been told that it's one of the best base martial arts you can start with if you want to cross-train down the road.

If I get interested in the competitive fighting aspects, I wouldn't mind incorporating some of the Jet Kun Do philosophy (which I've always been interested in) as well as more advance grappling techniques (to my surprise, the Shaolin course does contain grappling training; I was unaware that Shaolin kung fu contained grappling...then again I know very little about the martial arts)

I'd appreciate any opinions or comments. The name of the institute is "The Liu Institute International" based in Mobile, Alabama (www.liuinstitute.com. The school is led by (copied from the website):

Master Deru, Shawn Xiangyang Liu is the 31st generation descendant, Grand Master of the Shaolin Temple, Henan province and direct disciple of the Shaolin Temple Spiritual Abbot, Great Master Upper Su Lower Xi (Su Xi), the only remaining Shaolin Fighting Monk Legend, Great Master of the Shaolin Temple (pre-communist) China. Master Liu is also known as the iron leg. Liu started training in Shaolin, traditional medicine and Qigong in Shaolin Temple, China when he was a very young child. Later he studied many other internal arts.

David Jamieson
07-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Looks like one of the monks from the shows that used to tour. One of the defectors? Dunno.

But, if the curriculum is from Henan Shaolin Temple then expect a good working out.

Shaolinlueb
07-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Shawn Liu is very good. he was one of the pioneers of sanda in the early 90's too if i'm not mistaken. he has a couple students on this board.

Brannon77
07-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called the institute today and found out that they start off with a trial fee of $99 for the first month and then $139 for each additional month thereafter. I'm assuming this price is steeper than the numerous Karate and Tae Kwon Do schools that exist around here. Even so, given the quality of the instructors at Liu's institute, I'm thinking the price would be more than worth it in the end. Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu schools seem much harder to find than other types of martial arts schools.

I was wondering if the golden black sash was roughly equivalent to, or greater than, the black belts of other martial arts systems? The Kung Fu ranking system is less known to me than the belt system.

David Jamieson
07-08-2006, 07:16 AM
regarding sashes and ranks.

don't stare at the finger or you miss on all the glory that is the moon.

;)

Brannon77
07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Yes, I realize that ranks are something not to be dwelt on, I was just wondering about the relative comparison to the black belt.

Banjos_dad
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
wow, that's a pretty prestigious lineage/ the price is pretty steep, which reflects that...i have nothing to compare that to anyway.
If you always wanted to do "kung fu," and have your heart set on that, forget about studying tae kwon do & karate. They are modern 'derivatives' of the original kung fu. You will discover this on your own as you do a more in depth research. Karate is so stylized and 'stiff.' Tae Kwon Do is a Korean derivative of karate which is in turn, a Japanese derivation of Okinawan arts in turn developed by Okinawan villagers attemtpting to imitate the rudiments of Southern Chinese styles they saw performed or used by emissaries/traders from the Chinese mainland...
that's a fairly mainstream rendering of karate history. if anyone doesn't like it they can post up 'the real story...' lol.

Songshan
07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi, new to the boards.

I'm strongly considering signing up for classes at a local academy. The school looks authentic, and judging by the frankness of the curriculum (an estimated 4-5 years to reach the "golden black sash") seems to be more than legit. I'm not interested in something that just wants to take my money and leave me with nothing. The main reason I'm interested in Shaolin over other martial arts is the character building aspects mixed with discipline as well as attaining relative physical "perfection." The philosophy does interest me. I won't deny that I would like to become as good a fighter as possible, but that's secondary right now. I've been told that it's one of the best base martial arts you can start with if you want to cross-train down the road.

If I get interested in the competitive fighting aspects, I wouldn't mind incorporating some of the Jet Kun Do philosophy (which I've always been interested in) as well as more advance grappling techniques (to my surprise, the Shaolin course does contain grappling training; I was unaware that Shaolin kung fu contained grappling...then again I know very little about the martial arts)

I'd appreciate any opinions or comments. The name of the institute is "The Liu Institute International" based in Mobile, Alabama (www.liuinstitute.com. The school is led by (copied from the website):

Master Deru, Shawn Xiangyang Liu is the 31st generation descendant, Grand Master of the Shaolin Temple, Henan province and direct disciple of the Shaolin Temple Spiritual Abbot, Great Master Upper Su Lower Xi (Su Xi), the only remaining Shaolin Fighting Monk Legend, Great Master of the Shaolin Temple (pre-communist) China. Master Liu is also known as the iron leg. Liu started training in Shaolin, traditional medicine and Qigong in Shaolin Temple, China when he was a very young child. Later he studied many other internal arts.

Where are you from? I am assuming around the Alabama area if you are looking at Deru's school. Master Deru is from the "Songshan" Shaolin kung fu lineage. The $100 montlhy rate is average for the monks in the USA. The Tae kwon do schools and karate schools run about $40-60 monthly around the Houston area. At any rate do some research via the internet before you decide. Lots of info out there. Oh yeah don't worry about the black sash/belt go for skill.