PDA

View Full Version : Some resources on Neija

Josh _f
06-05-2001, 02:21 AM
In my personal opinion if there is one thing which holds people back from learning the neijia arts it's a failure to approach the information they receive critically. To often people figure any book written about taiji or other neijia arts as valid simple because the author is chinese. In reality their are as many if not more Chinese grifters trying to turn an easy buck. Taiji is especially prone to this. Mainly to following common misinformation:
taiji is physically easy, taiji is meditation in motion, taiji takes 20 years to learn, taiji is for old folks, taiji can cure diseases, everything is taiji,if you're good at competition push hands your good at taiji, there's no difference between internal and external,just do the form and you will be able to fight, our art is just like taiji...

This is just the tip of the misinformation. The reason why i bring it up is that if one really wants to learn the neijia arts its important to learn what they are and why the Chinese thought it was important to distinguish between neijia and waijia.
I personally believe that this is an exciting time to be studying the neijia in the west. Up until about eight years ago there was
very little information available in the west; today highly recognized masters like Chen Xiao Wang, Chen Zhenlei, and Yang Zhenduo visit every year. Given the availablity of both good and bad information it is important to be able to distinguish between the two. For instance about five years ago I studied with a very famous taiji/southern kungfu master. At the time I was impressed with his and his students fighting abiities, however I always maintained my critical thought and compared his teaching to information I researched elsewhere. Ultimately I left his school because despite his talk of his lineage to Yang Chengfu, qi development, and the taiji classics. What he taught didn't jive with the information I found in my own reasearch. I'd read peng is the most basic element of taiji, and my teacher would then tell me peng is an advance technique. I'd read it takes five years to be able to fight with taiji, and my teacher would tell me it takes ten. Ultimately I left, but know I can look back see that my teacher took the taiji form and then applied skills and power generating techniques of his southern art to it. Ultimatley I was able to find teachers who really knew taiji but it took a lot of research on my part to distinguish them from the pretenders. What follows is a list of the best resources I've found and some comments on each one. I hope that they will help those genuinly interested in learning about neijia arts.

Do not attempt to share your interest in martial arts with pedantic, narrow-minded scholars. As soon as they find out, they will quote from the classics and regale you with all kinds of irrelevant non-sense. This is infuriating. You can deal with this by either avoiding them or keeping your art secret.
--Ch'ang Nai-chou

Josh _f
06-05-2001, 03:35 AM
websites
Mike Sigman's website (http://www.neijia.com/) This website contains a number good articles, as well as the best books and videos on Neijia and CMA. Mike himself generates strong emotions within the CMA community. I myself have met him once but can say without hesitation he was one of the most skillfull american neijia practitioners that I have met. This on top of the fact that I have personally heard Chen Xiao Wang say good things about Mike's skills should alay the worries of those who have heard the whispers from Mike's detractors. (Please don't post personal attacks on Mike as he is not a member of this forum).

Herb Rich's page on Chen Taijia (http://www.digidao.com/nhomeN.htm)
This is one of the best sites on Chen taiji. I especially like the videos of different Chen masters doing parts of the forms.

Jarek's Chinese Martial Arts page (http://homepages.msn.com/SpiritSt/xinyi/index.html)
Perhaps my favorite web page, it hs interviews with high level masters, translations of old training manuals, and other rare information.

Official Yang Family Web page (emglish] (http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/)
Very good resource for yang taiji the message boad has a topic where you can ask questions to Yang Jun the grand son of YZD, the head of the yang family.

web page (http://www.sixharmonies.org/)
Web page for the best magazine dedicated solely to the neijia arts. Contains reprinted articles, photos and subscription informtion.

Lists
the neijia list:
A mail list dedicated entirely to the development of the physical skills common to all neijia arts. This is one most useful resources in my opinion. Keep in mind that the lists charter is extremely specific as to what is on topic-- i.e. physical skills only. In addition the charter mandates that members meet and demonstrate what they are writing.
to subscribe send email to: Majordomo@lists.stanford.edu. Leave the subject line blank and write "subscribe Neijia" and your E-mail address as the body of the letter and send.

In my next post I'll be including a list of people you should see.

Do not attempt to share your interest in martial arts with pedantic, narrow-minded scholars. As soon as they find out, they will quote from the classics and regale you with all kinds of irrelevant non-sense. This is infuriating. You can deal with this by either avoiding them or keeping your art secret.
--Ch'ang Nai-chou

Kumkuat
06-05-2001, 03:54 AM
I too have met Mike Sigman and he did open my eyes a lot. But unfortuately for me, he was the only skilled person I had a chance to meet. I suscribed to the neijia list long ago, and even go to those exact web sites you cited for more information to improve my skills.

What do you think about Yan GaoFei's webpage? Yan is very skilled from almost everyone I hear, and I'm going to have a chance to meet him soon. Also, do you think Cheng Jin Cai is worth it to meet?

I would love to meet Chen Xiao Wang one day and let him fix my stances. As of now, I stand post with intent, but I know that my alignment is not great. I know that my "spring" is broken in various places in my body no matter how relaxed I think I am.