PDA

View Full Version : training to be internal (external to train the internal)

Kaitain(UK)
06-05-2001, 04:09 PM
This topic is triggered from the comments in the internal/external thread, but is sufficiently different to merit it's own thread. hopefully

How do you train to become internal?
I've seen two different paths and I know which I prefer:

Path 1:
Song , 'springiness', compact closed form is trained from day 1.

Path 2:
Song, springiness etc are discussed and made important throughout training as a goal to achieve. The form is trained large and open, with time the student is encouraged to 'internalise' the movements as the above mentioned principles are realised.

To me Path 1 is the long route with little gain to start - but perhaps the goals are reached in a faster time.

Path 2 on the hand gives rapid advancements (externally) whilst still allowing the internal skills to develop.

I train Path 2 and find the constant revelations and break throughs to be massively heartening. My friend trains Path 1 and spends a lot of time feeling despondent at the lack of progress.

So my question to everyone is:
How important is it to train the external elements and movements first before beginning to look to internal development. I get the impression from Josh that he feels that any external work is detrimental to the internal development of a student.

My argument against that is based on the discussion made on power generation - I agree that true internal power comes from smooth, unfettered waist movement. However, I think the segmentation of the waist and hips is extremely difficult to learn - I found that I developed external power generation first and that it is becoming more and more internal/dan tien based as my segmentation improves. In the meantime my other movement has been improving all the time - my 'springiness' in my limbs has come on superbly as a result of the work I did whilst freeing up my waist.

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Kumkuat
06-05-2001, 06:46 PM
I prefer the first method. Although, I do think the second method would be popular since people would get bored doing nothing but stances and other exercises to build up your internal strength.

RickMatz
06-05-2001, 07:32 PM
Practicing stance does wonders for one's internal development.

Best Regards,

Rick MAtz

Discipline is remembering what you want.

Water Dragon
06-06-2001, 04:03 AM
With the first method, You have someone trying to explain to you something you've never experienced. The best you can do is be wrong, wrong, wrong, until maybe one day you "get it" through trial and error.

With the second you just DO the exercises (basics) The trick is in how you do them. Train them hard, fast, and strong until the body's musculature is completely exhausted. When you continue PAST that point, the internal mechanics and alignments kick in automatically as that is the most efficient way for the body to move. Just keep doing it as correctly as possible and you get the internal skill automatically.

The problem with the second method is that it really sucks. Most people quit right when they are starting to improve. I don't count repetitions any more. I set a kitchen timer for each exercise I do. I just do each rep as quickly (or slowly) and powerfully as possible while trying to keep good form. I don't worry about how many I did and I don't know how many I have to do. I just try to make each one count. At the end, you can feel the difference and you know what internal means.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

woliveri
06-06-2001, 05:39 AM
What is this? Could someone explain, elaborate?

Thanks

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Kaitain(UK)
06-06-2001, 07:50 AM
QiGong was taught by making us hold it for 15 minutes when we first started - as you probably remember, when you first do QiGong you use muscle to hold yourself up and it's agony. When the muscles give out you start doing it right...

Unfortunately we lose about 3 in 5 new students because the QiGong is so hard - good in that we only have totally committed students, bad in that some of the guys we lose have good potential

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"