PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu/ Tai Chi

MARTIALSTUDANT
07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Kung fu and Tai Chi are they the same or diff?

Chief Fox
07-13-2006, 10:42 AM
yes. .

Crushing Fist
07-13-2006, 10:55 AM
always the helpful one chief...

Kung Fu is a very broad term which in the west has become the name for all chinese martial arts, of which tai chi is one.

Some schools advertise both because the general public has heard of Tai Chi but doesn't always knows its a part of Kung Fu, or have seperate programs for Internal and External Arts.

There's tons of info in this and other forums, so look around and have fun.

SPJ
07-13-2006, 08:04 PM
yes. .

and yet Tai Chi is more than Kung Fu.

:D

Blacktiger
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Correct :)

SPJ
07-13-2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/taoism.html

:)

neilhytholt
07-14-2006, 12:44 AM
'Kung Fu' means to be skillful at something (so I've been told).

'Tai chi' is a former martial art which has become to the deluded public some sort of who knows what that people practice in the dreams of becoming who knows what.

Basically, it's kindof like Christmas which used to be a pagan holiday of some Sun cult, being adopted by the Roman Catholic church to be Christ's birthday, now has become some sort of gross commercial holiday where people give gifts to each other more out of obligation than anything else, and retailers make a lot of money.

So tai chi was a martial art that was adopted by a bunch of hippie freakazoids to be some sort of philosphical and health panacea that is now sold to the public as some sort low impact movement exercises that they can do instead of real exercise and sweating.

So what was your question? Is kung fu the same as tai chi? In a word: no.

TaiChiBob
07-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Greetings..

Neil: AARRGGHHHHH.. stop blaming the hippies.. it was lazy, greedy Kung Fu teachers with no real experience in Taiji looking to increase their $ with minimal output.. maybe a bunch of psuedo-hippies bought it, but real hippies look for the real deal.. most of these new-age Taiji wannabes, are middle-aged yuppies with too much time and money on their hands (not "hippies).. they want to be "cool" and tell their friends how "Eastern" they are, since that's the fashionable thing.. but, fashion will change and we can get back to Taiji..

Be well...

neilhytholt
07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, but if I didn't put hippies then I wouldn't get such a response out of you. :)

scholar
07-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Y'know what's sad? I teach old school t'ai chi and I have to say Neil is 99.9% right, IMO...

TCB makes a good point about the $$$, too.

David Jamieson
07-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Greetings..

Neil: AARRGGHHHHH.. stop blaming the hippies.. it was lazy, greedy Kung Fu teachers with no real experience in Taiji looking to increase their $ with minimal output.. maybe a bunch of psuedo-hippies bought it, but real hippies look for the real deal.. most of these new-age Taiji wannabes, are middle-aged yuppies with too much time and money on their hands (not "hippies).. they want to be "cool" and tell their friends how "Eastern" they are, since that's the fashionable thing.. but, fashion will change and we can get back to Taiji..

Be well...

Bob, that yuppie/hippy/wannabe mindset you describe, is in my opinion a form of mental retardation.
Seriously, it could be the flouride in the water...

TaiChiBob
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Greetings..

David: You make more sense everytime you post.. (except when you don't) :D

Be well...