PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me where can I find Shaolin schools in MANILA, PHIL.? PLEASE!!!

Terry Oi Punk
10-22-2001, 11:07 AM
Hi and Hello to ALL,

I'm Terry from Manila, Philippines and I'm new in this forum, I posted this topic hoping to stumble if not to exactly find! any shaolin school you could refer me too.

I have never been to any MA school before and I'd really like to attend to one.

I'm really hoping to hear from you ALL!

Thanks.

Cheers,
Terry :confused: :D

ngokfei
10-24-2001, 06:53 AM
Hey Terry

spent some time over your way in the past. For a good listing of schools go to the
Squadron Sporting Goods/Martial Arts store at the Greenhills mall. Its owned by a alex Ko who is well connected in the MA scene there. They also have a MA Journal out which has a list of schools i nthe back.

I got a tape from them which had the following styles listed.

Shaolin/wushu club
5 Ancestor style
Hung Fut Style
White Crane
Tai Chi (lots of it)
Praying mantis
and other short hand styles.

What do you mean by Shaolin. What the monks are teaching at the shaolin temple or just styles which have an ancestorial link to the shaolin temples of the past.

Luneta Park has some people practicing in the early morning also.

hope this helps.

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

baji-fist
10-24-2001, 09:23 AM
Kabayan!!! Hey its good to see a fellow Filipino here on the forum. Pre, from what I know, there are no Shaolin schools in PI. I do recommend checking out the Ling Nam Association. They teach 7 star preying mantis and White Crane. Also as mentioned before, PI is really big on Ngo Cho Kun (5 Anscestor Fist) propagate mostly by Beng Kiam and Alex CO who also teaches 7 Star Mantis. There is also David Chan who teaches Liu He Ba Fa (but I hear that hsi prcies are quite high). From what I hear they are quite good. If you want, I know the editor of RAPID Journal in the Phils and I can give you his email address. RAPID is the local MA magazine in PI. I don't feel comfortable displaying his email address here on the forum, but if you want to email me at guobaolo@hotmail.com, then I can go ahead and give you the email address.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

[This message was edited by Guo Bao-Lo on 10-25-01 at 12:32 AM.]

baji-fist
10-24-2001, 09:31 AM
I notice that you knew a lot about the Martial Arts scene in the Philippines. Just wondering if you have been in the Philippines before? I am planning to go back next year to visit Ling Nam Association, Danny Go of RAPID Journal (to my surprise we know the same Lao Jia sequence when we met last year), and Alex Co.

fiercest tiger
10-24-2001, 09:34 AM
it will be open soon! ;)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

baji-fist
10-24-2001, 09:57 AM
Hey bro, Angeles City is all the way in the Pampanga province which is a good 4 hours from Manila...without traffic. It is good to know though that Chinese Martial Arts is spreading to other parts of the Phils. Only if there was a YKM school in Manila, I have always wanted to see this style move.

Terry Oi Punk
10-25-2001, 04:30 PM
Greetings of Peace to ALL!

Finally, kind hearted people hear me out... I wanted to thank you all for sharing helpful infos on where can I find schools for MA.

You're ALL an A N G E L sent to me, I owe you ALL so much!!!

By the way, is there someone from you here in the Phil.? I'd like to know in case.

Thank you again...

p.s. Terry Punk Girl is HAPPY...

Cheers,
Terry

pitbull
03-18-2003, 06:18 PM
greetings....my name is richard haw...i am training at the phil kong han athletic assn which teaches ngo cho kun for 3 generations now...the school started in 1920's w dr. lo yan chu...we are the only surviving ngo cho school in the philippines....we have a clear lineage...so we arent fakes...we only teach ngo cho and tai chi...and nothing else....u can find us at zacateros st binondo manila......

carly
03-18-2003, 06:30 PM
it would seem to be a good place to study filipino arts like kali/arnis/escrima.

joedoe
03-18-2003, 07:17 PM
I was told the Ngo Cho school in Manilla is quite good, and they do have a long history of producing quality students (so I have been told).

pitbull
03-18-2003, 10:54 PM
carly: yes i suppose :-) it was born here anyway :-) arnis used to use sdaggers instead of champola wafer stick(hardwood sticks)but the spanish imperialists banned the use of bladed weapons...so the stick became the norm....very quick moves...

joedoe: i cant confirm that...our sifu's son(now my sifu) won 2nd in a freestyle mma event in china...i saw the vhs tape :-) he still got plenty of hair back then...

one reason may be bec the masters of tha art from fukien migrated to the nearest port outside of china..and its manila...w them hey carry ngo cho kun...at spread to malaysia etc....we are the only surviving school that teaches ngo cho here....others have long since closed...there used to be a fake school here but i dunno what happened..its interesting to see how foreigners know more about cma than some of us chinese do...i just hope it doesnt get too comercialized.

joedoe
03-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Interesting. My lineage came from China through to Malaysia, not through the Phillipines. However I have been told that there was a teacher way back that was common to both lineages.

Is your school the school that Alexander Co is associated with? I have read his book and found it very interesting to see the differences in the lineages.

Anyway, here are some links that you may find interesting.

http://www.gorchor.us/

http://www.geocities.com/kungfu_galaxy/Southern/NgoChor.html

pitbull
03-19-2003, 06:09 AM
alex co used to be w beng kiam...the school is still there but they dont teach anymore for a very long time...if im not mistaken,my uncle was w them in the 60's...they also teach 7 star...i have no input about him from my master and brothers..since talking abnpout other kwan is taboo....and impolite/rude

our school is purist ngo cho tia....but some old folks here also teach tai chi....our current sifu(3rd gen) now integrates kicking and some jujitsu into our sparring progs...but basically..we still are a strict ngo cho school...

there are a couple of schools here that were phonies(as i was told by one of our seniors)during the 60's....he told me to be aware of the rumors they spread...he didnt told me about which schools as it was taboo or rude to say so....well...i shouldnt worry about them now since only ong han and ling nam teaches hardcore tma here as far as i know...and lingnam(im a friend of its sifu btw)doesnt teach tma like it used to since they now concentrate on lion dances since its more profitable...they are the best guys around for lion dances...

pitbull
03-19-2003, 06:17 AM
PS: just in case that u guys might find it interesting,we at kong han are having trouble payng the electricity bills and everything...this is just proof that we dont teach for profit...we screen students well before teaching them advanced and more devastating techniques...i practice everyday and everyday only 5 or less is on the kwan doing our routines....things wasnt like this before as i was told...now kids prefer com\puter games and be a couch martial artist :-) its ammusing to see that foreigners are more interested in our native art than some of my types are...o well.....sign of the times...

and i want to clear something else that i read on another thread...the reason y kung fu wasnt tought to non chinese before was bec kung fu is the only defence a new chinese migrant have,teaching others forfeits this defence system....we usually are discriminated(even now to some extent)bec we speak differently and have diff customs and looks(we are also victims of crimes)...the chinese have been around se asia since time in memorial but still other cultures still dont get used to us very much :-) LOL...

joedoe
03-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Interesting stuff. I don't really know much about the Ngo Cho scene in the Phillipines. I was of the impression that the Beng Kiam school was still big. Obviously I was wrong :)

Anyway, maybe one day we will meet up at one of the Ngo Cho conferences in China :)

pitbull
03-19-2003, 05:04 PM
there will be one in nov as i was told...dunno if i can go..i work as a part time 3d animator and my contracts usually come during thr last quarter....there was one in 2000..were u there?kong han is always present in all of these events...the last was malaysia...we are very noticable since we wear a corny uniform of yellow sleevless shirt w red lining and a tiger in the back,dark blue pants w red sash...the uniform hasnt changed since the 60's or the 50's....somewhere in the net..there is a paysite that interviewed my master henry lo...try searching the net for henry lo...our founding father was dr Lo Yan Chu(1920's) -> Lo King Hui(1950's) -> Henry Lo(1990's)...dunno who will succeed him when hes done for :-(...

joedoe
03-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Dunno if I can make it this year. I wasn't at the last one - in fact I haven't been to one yet as work always seems to be busy at the end of the year. Maybe in a year or two.

joedoe
03-19-2003, 07:06 PM
BTW there is a Ngor Chor forum here http://budogeeks.tzo.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=fcf6bc29cab762d834aeb60826d82124

if you are interested in joining in.

pitbull
03-19-2003, 11:15 PM
thanks for the link :-)