PDA

View Full Version : Martial art stance's

MARTIALSTUDANT
07-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Can your stance be to low or not low enough?

How long should you hold a stance while in practice?

can you over train stance work?

Matrix
07-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Can your stance be to low or not low enough?Yes to both, IMO. And it depends on the situation which is which. If you're too low you may sacrifice mobility, which may be fine if you're inside your opponents defences. Too high means your center of gravity is too high as well.

How long should you hold a stance while in practice?That's a personal thing, or there may be specific issues with respect to the particular features and attributes of your style. I think there's a law of diminishing returns after a certain point.

can you over train stance work?
Only to the degree that you are using finite training time to do "stance work" and you might find that there are more important things to work on. I think it's more important to be able to move, so I prefer footwork training. Of course, you need to learn to stand before you can walk, and walk before you can run. There tends to be a progression in these things. so the amount of time involved in training that attirbute may vary depending on where you are in the progression.

You can look at footwork as moving from one stance to another if you like, so it's important that your stances are solid. I believe the key is to be dynamic and develop proper coordination between footwork and your hands.

Your mileage may vary.

SPJ
07-15-2006, 07:54 PM
This is the aged old debate,

if one fends off all attacks without moving feet or staying put.

if one moves around in quick steps to generate opportunity to attack and dodge to defend such as fencing and boxing etc.

in other instances, it will be your natural guarding stance.

how high is high and how low is low are all relative.

:D

BruceSteveRoy
07-16-2006, 09:39 AM
How long should you hold a stance while in practice?

as long as it takes