PDA

View Full Version : When is it the right time to bye a gift for your martial art teacher?

MARTIALSTUDANT
07-16-2006, 05:16 AM
I wonder if there is a time when a student should bye a gift for her/his teacher?

What kind of gifts should you bye?

Should you invite your teacher over for dinner?

TenTigers
07-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Birthday, Christmas/Chanukka, are standard, as are Lai-See on Chinese New Year.
I have had Father's Day gifts from some as well. which was very touching.
The giving of any gift should not rely on an occaision, but should come from the heart. I have also been invited over for dinners, barbeques, weddings, bar-mitzvas, superbowl sundays, bacheleor parties, it depends on the relationship you have with your Sifu.
That being said, there is a difference between buying a gift to show your gratitude, love, respect, whatever,,,and crossing the line to showering your affection on him, crushes, innapropriate actions, stalking...:eek:

SPJ
07-16-2006, 06:16 AM
"A teacher for a day is like a father for life."

This is an ole saying.

A gift no matter how big or small represents a thought of appreciation.

It can be a word of mouth;

a piece of paper;

a promise;

---

Take good care of yourself and walk the righteous path.

That is what all teachers want out of their pupils.

so that would be the best gift if you do that.

--

:)

monkeyfoot
07-16-2006, 09:22 AM
new year, both west and chinese.

i also brought back gifts everytime I went travelling. Last time I got my sifu a nice chain whip, some quality oolong tea and some M/A mags off Master Lee Kam Wing.

Got back from thailand a little while ago and picked up some Muai Thai boxing shorts.....just for comic/culture value

craig

The Willow Sword
07-16-2006, 11:44 AM
I wonder if there is a time when a student should bye a gift for her/his teacher?

What kind of gifts should you bye?

Should you invite your teacher over for dinner?

Whata Kissa$$:D

you know the best gift that you can give your teacher is the gift of learning what he/she is teaching you well and doing it well, and showing improvement on what you are being taught.

Peace,TWS

BlueTravesty
07-16-2006, 12:18 PM
I usually just get gift cards. Now a gift card to WHERE... it all depends. If your sifu has just gotten a home, and their birthday is coming up, a gift card to a hardware store could come in handy. For one of our sifu's birthday we just pooled together to help cover his flight to Dallas (he was going to the Seminar held in Dallas by Master Lee.) For our other sifu we bought a Home Depot card since he just moved.

The gifts are tokens of gratitude though. Here in Brandon, rent for businesses is pretty darn high, so that in order to actually make a profit, they would have to charge about $20 dollars extra per month, even on contract. Both Sifu's have full-time jobs. One of them has to drive all the way to Bradenton to teach, but does so because he loves Kung Fu and wants to pass the art on.

And for that, my fellow students and I are most grateful :)

SPJ
07-16-2006, 06:46 PM
"The color of Qin comes from the blue and is bluer than the blue."

It is an ole saying.

Not only you live by what your teacher taught you and better/improve on it.

That is the ideal gift.

:D