PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Study Group Central Florida

Caracan
07-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi I'm looking to form a Wing Chun Study Group in Central Florida: Orlando, Kissimmee (mainly).

I would teach the style to people who want to learn it and that are dedicated individuals.

My available time would be on Saturday (for now or until further arrangement) from 10:00AM to 12:30PM.

Right now I don't have an official location but Wing Chun can be practiced almost anywhere.

If you are interested then just answer this thread and I'll get into further detail.

Sihing73
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Hello Caracan,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your group. It may be a good idea to introduce yourself a bit though so people can get to know you. You mention you would be willing to teach people the art which may be a bit presumptious for a "study group". Without knowing your background it is difficult to say whether teaching is an option or simply an exchange with others who have also trained in the art may be the way to go.

You will find a great variety on this board. Some have trained for a lifetime others are just starting out. However, a bit of advice, FWIW, might be to introduce yourself and your background and offer to share and interact rather than teach. All of us have much to learn and we can all learn from each other.

You should identify the purpose of the study group as well as whether a particular lineage or approach will be represented. Also, whether others from outside that lineage are welcome and if so under what circumstances. My only reason for saying that is that you do not want to get confused in the beginning and argue over this or that approach. Build a firm foundation and then keep your eyes open to see the good in other methods.

Caracan
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Sihing73,

Thanks for the advice.

I studied Wing Chun in Minnesota, my teacher is Michael Mallory, our lineage is under Leung Sheung.

I have been studying this style for almost 7 years.

And please excuse the confusion I had written, but the reason I mentioned group is because I don't have an official school or location, initially it would have to be a basic group, and although I would surely be willing to practice with another practitioner, I've seen that when it comes to families in Wing Chun people will pull towards their own side. People have a certain way of doing don chi sau, a certain way in syeung chi sau, etc.

So for the most part I do prefer people who are new or haven't studied the style, in order that they might be more open-minded.

By no means does this mean that others are not welcome. All who want are invited.

nojack
07-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Hello Caracan,

Glad to know you're from Leung Sheung's lineage, good luck in finding new wing chunners in your area. I'm in So Calif. and I did the same way as you are now, it might take some time, but eventually you will found some people to practice with.

Average Joe
07-22-2006, 08:07 PM
when you say you have a certain way of doing don chi sao are you saying that you are not open to other ways that may be better or that you r way is the best and their are no other ways of doing 2 hand sticky hand drill.

Caracan
07-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Nojack

Thank you for your words, I'm also speaking with people who might want to learn. Glad to know you are from the Leung Sheung lineage as well.

To: Average Joe

I'd rather do things as I've learned them, yeah I do don chi sau a certain which I consider better based on my teacher's teacher's experience and from what I've seen myself.

Besides if you do welcome other ways of doing it, you must in order to get good at that particular way of doing it, do it thousands of time, doing it in one particular way will give you the skill in it you need, doing it many ways might cause muscular confusion. (My take on it).

Now I know this is open to debate, for a reply after mine might be that I think I have the best or am not open to better. I'm just saying what I believe

Sihing73
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
To: Average Joe

I'd rather do things as I've learned them, yeah I do don chi sau a certain which I consider better based on my teacher's teacher's experience and from what I've seen myself.

Besides if you do welcome other ways of doing it, you must in order to get good at that particular way of doing it, do it thousands of time, doing it in one particular way will give you the skill in it you need, doing it many ways might cause muscular confusion. (My take on it).

Now I know this is open to debate, for a reply after mine might be that I think I have the best or am not open to better. I'm just saying what I believe

Hello,

Each of us will tend to believe our way is the better one, else why do it? Still we can often learn from other viewpoints. Even if it only serves to deepen our own understanding by making us explore our approach better so we understand it more.

A good point about muscle memory as the body will adjust to a specific approach to tailor it to your own unique body and needs. Trying to learn another approach can be difficult. However, exploring another concept or point of view and then using that "new" knowledge to better understand our original way can be very beneficial.

El Guapo
07-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Your sticky hands cant be the best, because mine is! J/K! But seriously it is! haha gotcha again......
Anyways, humans are flawed ,no ones technique is perfect, sept mine:cool: , so there fore we all have something to learn from one another. even if its what not to do as the previous post so delicately danced around. Isnt it a shame that wing chun is so diversified we dont even want to train with others within our style because it will cause conflict. I believe that this extreme ego is a weakness. Your stance is wrong...your bongs to low...your tan is in effective....blah blah blah.Cant we all just get along? Lets get together n go beat up some TKD guys or something......first one to give Erny Reyes a wedgie gets two points...and jumping atomic wedgie gets 3!