PDA

View Full Version : can you train to withstand a punch on the nose

Shaolin101
07-18-2006, 02:41 AM
I never see boxers get punched on the nose and have there eyes start watering and have to stop because of the tingling etc.

I am lucky enough not to get hit on the nose but it is bound to happen at some point.

Should i let some one just repeatedly hit my nose building the power daily? Or is there a better method?

Pork Chop
07-18-2006, 05:50 AM
The only 2 things you can really do are:

1- rub your face and nose to get blood flowing to your face & soften up the cartiladge in your nose. Kostya Tsyuu did this before every fight. The skin in your face having more blood makes it harder to cut. The softening of the cartiledge in your nose makes it a little harder to break.

2- spar so you get used to taking shots & know how to position to minimize the damage of shots. I wouldn't recommend just taking shots to the face as you only have so many punches to take in your life time, why waste that many in training?

Judge Pen
07-18-2006, 06:38 AM
How often do boxers spar and get hit in the nose? That's how they condition it. Get hit often.

David Jamieson
07-18-2006, 07:10 AM
there are various trigger points all over the body that will cause particular reactions when struck, the nose is especially sensitive.

Boxers who have been hit so often that the cartillage is severely degraded are less effected by a punch on the nose...because most of the nose isn't actually there anymore, just the rubbery external stump of teh nasal passages.

work slipping and keep your guard up and read your opponent more, develop strategies that allow you time enough to straighten out and get sorted when struck without being overwhelmed and taken out. Cover up, shuffle and recover. Same would apply for any combative.

Mr Punch
07-18-2006, 07:39 AM
The first two times (out of four) my nose was broken it hurt like hell and stopped me. Now I've been hit in the face so many times I don't really notice the nose shots.

Enjoy! :eek: :D

Pork Chop
07-18-2006, 07:40 AM
it's not just that the nose is desensitized tho. I don't get bothered by nose shots so much anymore, and I got one of the pointiest noses I know of with plenty of cartiledge. Knowing how to take the shot- how to roll with the punch or duck into it such that you don't hit those sensitive areas, that's more important.

Same goes for shins. There are certain ways to position your legs when checking a leg kick such that it doesn't hurt so much. Can't really describe it in words, it's just something you feel and may be different for different people.

Mr Punch
07-18-2006, 07:45 AM
it's not just that the nose is desensitized tho. I don't get bothered by nose shots so much anymore, and I got one of the pointiest noses I know of with plenty of cartiledge. Knowing how to take the shot- how to roll with the punch or duck into it such that you don't hit those sensitive areas, that's more important.I would guess that I'm better at those things too, though I've always been pretty much a natural at rolling. It is useful to be able take the clout to the shnoz too though for the many times you **** up the positioning, though it's not the ideal of course.

BoulderDawg
07-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Also when you're in a fight, even if it is organized boxing, your brain is going 90 miles per hours and not worrying about pain as much as other times.

Dragon Warrior
07-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Im going to share an ancient chinese secret that was given to me by a shaolin monk 30 years ago.

First you have to dip your nose into a bowl of vinegar and hold it there for 30 seconds to toughen the skin (inside and out). Next you have to massage the area for 2 minutes and repeat this process 3 times.

after that you find a soft banana bag and smash you face into it repeatedly for 10000 repetitions every day for one month.

Every month change to a harder heavy bag.

Eventually you will be able to smash your face into a brick wall without your nose being damaged.

After years of this training you can let your opponents punch and kick you in the nose as hard as they want because they will only be afflicting damage to themselves.:D

dainos
08-05-2006, 04:17 PM
hitting your head 10,000 time on a bag everyday is going to cause brain damage guarenteed. unless your superman. i am expert in your fist to my face style. i really dont think there is a good way to condition your face. so learn to protect it would be the much better and eaiser solution. and keep your hands up.

please ignore horrble grammer

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Should i let some one just repeatedly hit my nose building the power daily?

yes.