PDA

View Full Version : Southern Kung fu Meet and Greet

travelsbyknight
07-18-2006, 06:10 PM
New York City

Hi all. I'm organizing a hangout with southern kung fu shorthand players. What I mean by organzing is that we're all just going to meet up, in the city I guess, talk and chi sao/roll/touch hands or whatever it is you guys do.

We should plan it for a Sunday since I'm stuck for the next six thousand Saturdays. Thanks, Nick.

Wing chun, Bak Mei, Southern Mantis, come one come all. I guess we can hang in one of those parks in Chinatown.

Let's do it sometime this month on a Sunday.

I would like to take this chance to stress that this is friendly. My friend who studies Ba Gua told me a story of how someone he knew went to play ba gua push hands. It started out friendly but when Guy A couldn't get the better of Guy B, Guy A started doing stupid things. He started attempting cheap shots, used a lot of power, etc. Guy B, not realizing the other man's anger, reacted and HURT Guy A. Maybe Guy A got what he deserved but let's be civil. And in case you guys were wondering, women are allowed to come as well. The person who shows up last buys us all lunch! No cameras please. That's kinda gay and plus I don't want to be filmed.

Radical!

RSVP here. How about this Sunday or the next?

travelsbyknight
07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
July 22, 29. Or August 5th. Those are all Sundays.

I realize it's probably going to be hot out that day but hey...that's why it's called kung fu.

Also remember to leave your phoenix fists and biu gees in your pockets that day. We won't be needing those.

PlumDragon
07-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Your profile doesnt state where in the world you are. Can you specify a state, country, etc?

travelsbyknight
07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm located in New York. How did I forget the location? I figure we can meet in the city somewhere. I've been in New York my whole life so I guessed I assumed everyone would know what "the city" meant.

Good job!

TenTigers
07-19-2006, 03:32 PM
a bunch of us did this years ago from the southern fist forums. We met in NYC's Chinatown. We got to meet n greet, attach some faces to the names. We created what became known as "The Gathering" and what we loosely refer to as Mo Lum Yat Ga.
We originally simply spoke of and compared key concepts of our respective styles-bridging, footwork, etc. Some light, cooperative crossing of hands-simply to demonstrate a point-you know the deal. Well, we then started meeting at my friend's kwoon, almost on a monthly basis. Friendships were made-deep friendships, and as we gathered more and more-little by little it simply became this tight group of friends.
The main thing is that we now get together and have this think tank, or lab, where we get to throw ideas out, invite guests,exchange knowledge, train together,eat together,play together. Our arts have grown, our knowledge has grown, our lives have been enriched by the friendships we've made.
You guys should by all means do this. My friend's teacher, a sixty-something yr old, said he hadn't seen so much free sharing without egos, since Jing-Mo.

PlumDragon
07-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Thats very cool--Im jealous.

jmd161
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Sounds good to me, since i'm back in NYC now.

jeff:)

travelsbyknight
07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies to my subject. You wouldn't believe how many people sent me private messages! Most didn't want to talk about this in public. We're setting the date for either this Sunday or next Sunday in Chinatown, around 10am probably. The dates are as follows: July 30th/August 6th.

Please private message me confirmation on one of these dates and the day with the most attendees will be the day. Sorry. :( If anyone else is interested then you can private message me as well. Thanks.

jo
07-25-2006, 06:52 AM
At the running track next to the school or down in the lowers next to the handball courts?

Or perhaps at Columbus Park on the new astroturf?

jmd161
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies to my subject. You wouldn't believe how many people sent me private messages! Most didn't want to talk about this in public. We're setting the date for either this Sunday or next Sunday in Chinatown, around 10am probably. The dates are as follows: July 30th/August 6th.

Please private message me confirmation on one of these dates and the day with the most attendees will be the day. Sorry. :( If anyone else is interested then you can private message me as well. Thanks.

I know you said pm you, but either date is good for me, just let me know where.

I'll be there....are we bringing anything food, drinks, etc...?

Lama Pai Sifu
08-05-2006, 10:21 AM
date, time address??

fiercest tiger
08-05-2006, 02:37 PM
lol Take some footage and show the people that cant make it what you all are doing?;)

No cameras please its suposed to be friendly and sharing, share to us that cant make it huh?!

:(

Lama Pai Sifu
08-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm interested in going..who is planning on being there??

Lama Pai Sifu
08-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm coming.

Can you tell me who else is coming? Just want to know if I know anyone else there? You can PM me or list them here..no difference to me.

Also, is everyone a sifu/teacher? I assume these are all experienced players, no?

I'll be there around 10:15 am. Probably head to Mandarin Court for a quick bite about 9:30 if anyone is interested. Might be good to meet and chat first before we start getting down...

See you tomorrow.

travelsbyknight
08-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I was at the park until 12:30. I'm not sure if anyone showed up since I had no idea what you all looked like. So I sat around watching a kung fu class being taught.

Maybe next time

Lama Pai Sifu
08-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I was there with too. What gives? Where was everyone? Got there at 10:15 am and watched a bunch of other people doing their thing; I thought some Southern short-hand guys were supposed to show, WTF?

Wound up talking to some Chinese guys and teaching the guy (my student) I brought.

Nice way to organize :( :mad: :eek:

How about getting a confirmed list and an exact meeting point before you invite everyone and NOT show next time. Way to go. I could have been at the beach.

travelsbyknight
08-06-2006, 07:10 PM
No need to get snippy. As previously stated I was sitting around watching others do their thing as well. We must've walked right by each other!

jmd161
08-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, if were gonna try this coming sunday Aug 12th again, i'm game. I'm easy to spot the Big Blk guy with gold teeth.:D

Lama Pai Sifu
08-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Are you kidding, gold teeth?

If you are serious...wtf? What's with people and the gold teeth. You can't be serious...

jmd161
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Are you kidding, gold teeth?

If you are serious...wtf? What's with people and the gold teeth. You can't be serious...

No! Why would I be kidding about gold teeth?

WTF, do people wear tatoos or spiked hair?

I'm very serious, i did it as a teenager, but what's so wrong with gold teeth?

pic attached

Flying-Monkey
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I kind of agree with Lama pai sifu. Whether it be right or wrong, gold teeth carry negative baggage.

jmd161
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I kind of agree with Lama pai sifu. Whether it be right or wrong, gold teeth carry negative baggage.

That's because people judge by sterotypes instead of taking the time to get to know the person!!!

I work in the airline industry as a GM and it's never been a problem once people got to know me, most think it's pretty nice actually.

I've seen cops with tatoos from head to toe, i thought that was negative, but i understand i was doing the same judging myself.

Get to know the person, not the exterior trimmings.

jmd161
08-13-2006, 07:24 PM
everyone expresses themselves in different ways; i happen to be covered in tattoos. every one has a specific meaning to me, and tells a story of my life so far. too many people judge a book by its cover today; i get plenty of "looks" from people, but i can assure you i am not the kind of person they think i am...if i had a nickel fer everytime i heard "Are you in a band?"..[little do they know i am a big jazz fan]...D@MN i hate stereo types :mad: !! if having gold teeth expresses your personality, then you are being true to yourself, and we all should be; so more power to you!....
..[unless you did it out of peer pressure, than DUH!:p ...lol]

I'm actually to shicken chit to get a tattoo:D

Lama Pai Sifu
08-13-2006, 07:42 PM
I understand about the tatoos and the self expression. WHY does one get gold teeth? What do they signify? And if you know that people will think you are a gehtto stereotype, why go there?

Please explain: WTF is cool about a couple of gold teeth? Personally, I think it looks ridiculous. I'm not trying to 'hate', I would never look down on anyone because of how they chose to express themselves, I just wanna know why?

fiercest tiger
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Too much money for there own good perhaps?

TenTigers
08-13-2006, 08:45 PM
I always had a problem with trying too hard to give the illusion of wealth, to the point that it becomes an exagerrated characature. Gold teeth,huge "bling", women with long,long nails,(trailer park nails) cheap cars with airfoils,fancy wheels,mega bass-it's not a Ferrari, and it never will be. It's just a POS with more sh!t piled on top,etc, loud clothing, all look so garish.
If you look at people who have real wealth and taste, they go for a more understated style. Quality of a well tailored suit, not a yellow three piece with a matching hat. Ever wonder why Hugo Boss never designed clothes like that? Ever wonder why you will NEVER see any of it in GQ or Vogue? Ever wonder why you never see anyone of wealth dressed like that? (rappers don't count)
Wouldn't it speak more of your stature by being elegant,rather than cartoonish? Wouldn't it speak more of someone if they had clean, straight,white teeth, porcelin overlays rather than cheap gold? There is a reason the expression "N"-rich" came about. You want to be a role model for others, then bring them up, don't pull them down.
and BTW-just in case you think that being a hater and racist. The old expression was "Big Hat, No Cattle"-it's been around for a long,,long time.

and just in case you think I'm being racist and holier than thou, White guys are just as bad:
Trailer Park nails, mulletts, gold,diamond studded pinky rings, huge settings with poorl quality diamonds, too much make-up-plucked eyebrows with Star Trek ones drawn in, black lipliner, Big Hair, white people with dreads, tattoos-on your neck,
cwhite trash tattoos across your back, chicks with tattoos across their lower backs-it doesn't say you're deep, it says you were drunk in the tattoo parlor, Big pickup trucks, Orange County Choppers-anything, piercings, goth look, scene kids,bald guys with ponytails,combovers, I could go on.:D

jmd161
08-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I understand about the tatoos and the self expression. WHY does one get gold teeth?

It's just another means of self expression, I don't understand why that's so hard to understand?

Some people spike or die their hair, some pierce their bodies, some wear tatoos different people different ways of expressing themselves.

What do they signify?

They can signify different things to differnt people. For some it's status for others it's a certain look or respect level. For me it was a look I happened to like, and i had the money to do it with. I only have two, my intentions were to have eight.:D

And if you know that people will think you are a gehtto stereotype, why go there?

People think i'm wasting my time training gung fu yet i still do it. It's about my happiness, not what someone else may think. If people only did what others thought were right or politically correct, we'd still be stuck in the stone age.:eek:

Please explain: WTF is cool about a couple of gold teeth? Personally, I think it looks ridiculous. I'm not trying to 'hate', I would never look down on anyone because of how they chose to express themselves, I just wanna know why?

I think a bunch of tatoos or body pierceing looks ridiculous, but i'm sure to people that do it, it works for them.

Who am i to judge someone else?

There are alot of things we do in our lives that others question, I choose not to waste my time asking why. In my experience, whatever it takes to make you feel happy, is all that matters.

Life is too short, just do it!;)

k-no
08-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Wow, you guys are effing ridiculous. I can't believe what I am reading. And FYI, whenever someone says something to the effect of "...not to be racist..", it's usually because they're about to say something racist.

I've got tattoos all over the place and removed my piercings several years ago for obvious reasons related to fighting. I don't have any gold teeth but if someone wants them why not and who are you to sit there and just be so incredulous about it as if YOUR opinions were gospel?

I'm on a biz trip in Arkansas, and for the same reason you wouldn't have gold teeth, I wouldn't sport the cutoff denim shorts, Harley Shirt with the sleeves ripped off, and fluffy azzed mullet or rat tail ensemble that I've seen too often here. However I'm not going to scratch my head about it, obviously they think they look cool as hell and you know what, more power to them! Just cause someone wants to wear gold teeth doesn't make your straight from the JC Penney catalog looking outfit correct!

Wow. Incredible. Jeff has shown incredible restraint. This thread has become pretty offensive. God Bless America that we still have our freedom of expression.

Lama Pai Sifu
08-14-2006, 07:15 AM
It's just another means of self expression, I don't understand why that's so hard to understand?

People think i'm wasting my time training gung fu yet i still do it. It's about my happiness, not what someone else may think. If people only did what others thought were right or politically correct, we'd still be stuck in the stone age.:eek:

Lot's of people think training in the martial arts is a waste of time. However, I don't wear a sign on my face that says I train in martial arts. You're comparing two totally different things. My father reads Tom Clancy books, while I do not. It's not like he fashions them into a hat and goes to work. I don't see the relavance in your example.

What I'm asking here Jeff, is WHAT DO THESE GOLD TEETH MEAN TO YOU?

I don't have tatoos; I like them, I think they are cool on some people, I respect the artwork (I'm an artist) but I haven't found one yet, that I would like on myself.

There are lots of ways for a person to express themselves, some of them I think are cool, some not. But this is not a discussion of which one's I like or why I like them; I asked you this specific question because I would like to know the answer:

WHAT DO THESE GOLD TEETH MEAN TO YOU?

I know the reasons, mostly, why people get tatts. I understand why people get piercings, wear certain clothes, etc. I also understand that if these people go overboard, they will negativly effect their image within the 'sociatal norm'. So the question is why?

See, Gold Teeth, as far as most people figure, go with classles rappers, getto hoodlums and criminals (or wanna-bees for any of the aforementioned). And if you fall into this catagory, fine. That is your thing. I don't care what your social status is, I'm just trying to figure out why you have gold teeth and what they mean to you.

Not to mention by the way, "How old are you?" and "What type of Job do you have?" I am just curious, and don't feel you have to answer if you don't want to.

The reason I ask, is becuase if you are very young, well then, I can understand. If you have a goverment job or you work in a job requiring manual labor or the supervision of manual labor, then I can see how your outward appearance is not important.

Ya see, I can't imagine anyone getting a high paying job, one with opps for advancement (real advancement) doing something so small (like gold teeth) that you can't even see most of the time, that would prevent them from getting further in life.

I just don't see it.

AND k-no,

Ten Tigers is no racist. I know him personally. We met at a rally to raise money for the WET (White Entertainment Television) during White History Month, on Abraham Lincoln Blvd, on his return trip from speaking at a fundraiser for the Caucasion College Fund.

And you guys didn't think I had a sense of humor....:) :) :)

Seriously, this thread has nothing to do with race; it is about gold teeth (even though that's not why it was started) and finding out why Jeff wears them. I just wanted to know what they mean, to him. That's all.

White people, for the most part, don't get gold teeth. I do not know any black people who have them, otherwise I would ask them myself. So I thought I would take this opp to ask Jeff.

NO racism, NO hating (even though GT are not for me).

PlumDragon
08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
NO racism, NO hating (even though GT are not for me).
Nope, none of that....None at all.

Just totally off-topic! Cant you take it to PM?

:rolleyes:

TenTigers
08-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm not prejudiced against race, I AM prejudiced against stupidity and ignorance.
If you bothered to read my post before gettin all hot an bothered,, you would have seen the white trash section as well.
Every race, every culture has their version of this.whites, blacks, latinos,Asains. (Hmmm, I wonder what the mid-east version is?)
In my neighborhood-which is nicknamed Little El-Salvador, there is a huge cross range of ethnic people. I get to see it all. You want to call it self expression? Fine. Be my guest. You like your peircings 'cause they look cool, fine.
BUT..... IF You wear them because you feel you are being an individual-just like everyone else, and you wanna fit in with all the other non-conformists, wake up.
IF You want peircings 'cause you're one forty-fifth Cherrokee and it's like so spiritual, and you're almost a shaman, cause you took this seminar and went to a sweat, and you and your friends did a sundance in the backyard,you'd better stay with the other enlightened folks at the rennaiasance fairs, who have dreamcatchers hanging from their rear-view mirrors. (what is that for? To protect them from nightmares and spirits should they fall asleep at the wheel? Better to have an airbag.)

Getting off track here. Certain things like piercings, gold teeth, tattoos, mohawks, etc will keep you down. If you work in a record shop, surf shop, garage,factory,hip clothing outlet, fine.
Go on a job interview for anything other than that...?
"You never get a second chance to make a first impression" is more than words. It is a fact.
If you dissagree with what I am saying- answer these simple questions:
1-how old are you? (I'm betting under thirty)
2-what do you do for a living?
3-do you live at home?
4-did you move into an apt with your gf?-or some buds?
5-what was your education?
6-what are your goals? plans for the future?

Lama Pai Sifu
08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Ten Tigers,...I am sad. You did not even mention the story of how we met, as referrenced in my last post. I feel ignored..:(

TenTigers
08-14-2006, 01:55 PM
yeah, I couldn't recognize you cause of the sheet over our heads...cause we were um, both...... doing LAUNDRY!!! yeah! That's it! Laundry. And we were having a crossburn..er bonfire, um...BARBEQUE !!! Yeah, a barbeque! And ..and THAT"S why we had to do our laundry. Cause we both got sauce on our bedsheets...NO, TABLECLOTHS! from the barbeque. yeah..that's it..
I remember it like it was yesterday.:p

TenTigers
08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
and if you think we are actually racially biased, I'll have you know, we both happen to be jewish and in inter-racial marriages.
(well Michael is sort of Jewish, sort of like being guilty by association)

(truth be told, if you ever saw me, you'd think I was scooter trash!):p :eek:

Flying-Monkey
08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I still agree with Lama pai sifu. I come from the NY/NJ area. There are certain types of people that wear those teeth (black, white whatever). In the media, rappers and sportsmen wear them. On the street, gangsters and wannabes seem to wear them most. I am not saying Jeff is a wannabe or a gangster, but you must admit that this true. When people go to the dentist, they usually get silver or white caps. I have seen older people with gold caps.

Expression does have its limits.

k-no
08-14-2006, 05:10 PM
"Expression does have its limits."

Man, we "liberate" countries that have that kind of policy.

Lama Pai, TenTigers, I don't think you are INHERENTLY racist, but you are showing some ignorant tendencies. I don't agree with certain things in society and discuss them openly with few of like mind that know me well enough, but I wouldn't question it in a manner that makes people feel uncomfortable. Jeff hasn't spoken on it, but I am 100% sure you made him feel uncomfortable.

Apparently I subscribe to the idea that I wouldn't say anything to someone online that I would not be saying to their face. It's like me walking up to a virtual stranger on the street and asking why they wear what they wear and why they look like they do, all the while looking at them as if they were from Mars.

I believe you genuinely wanted to know. I also believe that you could have shown more decorum. You really looked like you were very confused why someone would do that. It equates to you walking around some urban area and some people coming up to you and asking why you dress up like such a ****. (not that you do, I wouldn't know) How would that make you feel?

And Ten Tigers, to answer your questions.

1- I am 30
2- I am a Systems Analyst and have a Web Store selling Japanese swords
3- Yeah I live at home.... mine.
4- I have a roommate. ???
5- I have IT Certifications and am currently going for a BS in International Business
6- Plans are to expand my own business and go to Japan to work with my brother.

I'm not stupid. During corporate meetings you don't even see my tattoos. I just met a concert pianist on a plane who was dressed to the nines but had a muscular, tattooed back piece as large as some posters.

I have very highly successful friends who have these things, dyed hair and such. Even some with gold teeth.

The world is a larger place than your neighborhoods, guys. Just as there are decent and/or successful people who express themselves differently than you, so are there some degenerate, sick sociopaths that look completely normal on the outside.

Flying-Monkey
08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't know where asking about gold teeth became racist. Plus, you are on your pedestal labeling people. Everyone has some racism and ignorance in them.

If you are walking down a lonely street and there are a group of big dudes in hoodies running toward you, what are you going to think?

1. These guys might attack me.

2. They must be the local boxing team out for a run.

Appearance is important. Some forms of expression have negative effects on the general public.

TenTigers
08-14-2006, 06:07 PM
K-No, I definately see your point, and I apologize to Jeff if I offended him in any way. It honestly wasn't meant as an insult. Like I said, if you met me, you would probably take me for scooter trash-but I clean up pretty well!
K-No, what tattoos do you have? I also have a tattoo and will actually be getting a backpiece done in the near future(of course, it will not be visable to outsiders)
I am interested in also how many and where do you , or did you have your peircings, and why exactly did you have them? What significance did the tats and piercings have for you, and do they still hold that significance?
I still love my tat, however my ex's name is on it....oh well.
(note to self-never do this again)

Lama Pai Sifu
08-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey...I actually thought Jeff was kidding when he said "I'm the big black guy with the gold teeth."

I though he was just foolin'.

And I still want to know what it mean to to have gold teeth? I'm serious..what does it mean to him?

k-no
08-15-2006, 01:02 AM
Flying-Monkey, you're missing the point. We have a friendly forumer here who obviously rocks the style that you stereotype, and you're just sitting there...insulting him without a second thought on the very thread he is on. Amazing. I wanna see you come down here and do that to somebody on the street. If you're just generally an A Hole and looking for a fight constantly, then I guess you're on the right track.

And your example is absurd. Any group of big dudes whether they were dressed in tutus or as circus clowns, if they were that big and they were running towards me, I would exercise caution.

Ten Tigers, Lama Pai I didn't mean to come at you guys like that, but I just put myself in Jeff's position and it felt horrible. I couldn't just sit there reading and not saying anything. If it were some white guy in some Rapper's Forum or something and they were clowning his clothes or hairstyle I would feel the same way.

Why does anyone do anything? Why does anyone wear what they wear? Because it makes them feel good and represents who they are. The teeth obviously emulates the hip hop lifestyle. Why does anyone wear a Yankees baseball jersey? Are they all Yankees players? If all the major league baseball players suddenly wore pink bandannas inexplicably and consistently, you best believe it won't be long till those that follow the sport start doing the same thing.

TT, I have a red dragon on my left arm snaking from my shoulder all the way down to my wrist, with the empty space covered by tribal work. CLF Buck Sing Gwoon in Chinese script on my right forearm, a Kajukenbo crest on my right shoulder from the old days...I have a dragon on my back too, but I plan to have it covered and have a back piece done with either Kali or Four armed Shiva (as opposed to 2) amidst a Hinduist scene. I also plan to have a Buddhist necklace tattooed around my neck, extending to my lower chest eventually.

The martial arts and religious tattoos are obvious. Dragon is my birth year. There is a '99' on my tribal that is a personal event from that year.

Girl tats are ALWAYS a bad idea. My Thai ex fiancee wanted me to tattoo her name...in Roman Script...on my stomach. (Thai names in Roman script tend to end up VEEERYY LONG) Thank God I thought twice.

My brother had his ex wife's name on his arm. It's covered up by the Chun Li character from Street Fighter now. The significance of that? I have no idea LOL.

k

Flying-Monkey
08-15-2006, 03:07 AM
I am not trying to insult anyone. I am just stating how it is. I,being black, know this. Do I like it? No, but I came to realize that it is nature. Both humans and other animal do it.

Growing up, I have had friends with gold teeth, one pants leg up, a hoodie worn a certain way, a tear drop tattoo, a certain color etc. Most of my friends who did is were real hard rocks (tough guys), the rest were wannabes. I have witnessed my wannabe friends get checked by displaying the wrong type of EXPRESSION. Some were just punked, and others got the crap beat out of them. I had friend who got punked, because he was wearing the wrong starter cap and coat (a certain team). He was forced to walk home with his coat,hat, and shirt in his backpack in the winter.

If you are collecting for your church, a nice shirt and tie would be great. Baggy jeans and a wife beater would not. It is the same with trying to get a job. You can have baggy jeans a wife beater and your tattoos showing and get the job. The complain about the injustice of the world.

I wanted to join a gym (Konami sports)here in Osaka. However, I was turned away because I have a tattoo. Many Japanese feel that gangsters and Yakuza have them so they made a rule. yes, in America, this rule wouldn't fly, and no, I don't like it. However, I understand.

Like I said in my second post, certain expressions have negative baggage even if it is right or wrong. It is just the way it is.

If I met a person with one of these, I wouldn't out right run away. However, caution flags will go up.

If Jeff was insulted,i am sorry. However, I hope he can understand where I'm coming from.

Gru Bianca
08-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Flying-Monkey,

I've sent you a PM.

Regards

Lama Pai Sifu
08-15-2006, 06:23 AM
If it were some white guy in some Rapper's Forum or something and they were clowning his clothes or hairstyle I would feel the same way.

We are not making fun of his kung-fu style, or any style of his for that matter. And if he was a white guy on a rapper's forum, he might get clowned for dressing like a rapper, way before he got clowned for NOT dressing like a rapper. Either way, that example holds no relevance here.

Why does anyone do anything? Why does anyone wear what they wear? Because it makes them feel good and represents who they are. The teeth obviously emulates the hip hop lifestyle. Why does anyone wear a Yankees baseball jersey? Are they all Yankees players? If all the major league baseball players suddenly wore pink bandannas inexplicably and consistently, you best believe it won't be long till those that follow the sport start doing the same thing.

Uh, baseball hats and jerseys can be taken off for job interviews, weddings, meeting girlfriend's parents, etc. Again, I don't see the relevance of the example.

Personally, and this is my PERSONAL opinion, so it can't be refuted (it's not a fact); People usually choose to 'express' themselves during the earlier years in life, when they no little of the permanent effects which these expressions can carry. Heavy piercings, very visible tatoos, etc. Younger people don't really understand what the world is all about and how your impressions and appearance matter a great deal when trying to inlist the help of others to start a carrer. If you are a tattoo artist, a musician, a rapper, a pro athlete (not all althletics look at gold teeth and tatts the same, i.e., Baseball vs. Basketball) it doesn't seem to matter. But if you are going to work somewhere or have a career which involves children, finance, sales, etc., (and believe me, this is a pretty broad spectrum), you will stack the odds against you for advancement.

I think it is a shame that younger people make choices about self expression (fairly permanent ones) that will proclude them from reaching thier full potential. Thier are lots of other ways, other then extensive face piercings, dental modifications and visible tattoos (I see tatt mags with lots of people fully tattood UP TO the wrist and neck. They express themselves without limiting themselves) to express yourself.

David Jamieson
08-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Uh, Mike, I hope you are prepared for the shell shock that is gonna knock your ass down into the ground when you are 65. lol

when ceo's of mcdonalds will appear on television and tell the investors about teh stock, and all the while their piercings will show and their tat's and their gold teeth. lol

why are you fixated on Jeff's teeth? It's not different from a piercing or a tattoo or any other form of self expression and really, gangsters wear them so nobody else should? wtf is the logic of that?

I got tats, I wanna get more and I wanna get my old ones redone.
I don't wear piercings because of martial arts. Trust me martial artists, piercings are something you don't want if your **** is for real. :P But I don't hold your self expression against and I don't even care about the why's and wheretofors of how you got pierced, inked, dentalled, whatever.

when I spar, I take my teeth out. lol, wouldn't wanna swallow em or nothing. heh heh.

anyway, people can say, wear, do what they like so long as no harm comes of it. To judge a book by it's cover is an axiom that is old, but still stands.

Fronting is an attitude, not a style. So, yeah, get to know the person and not what's hanging off them.

Flying-Monkey
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
when ceo's of mcdonalds will appear on television and tell the investors about teh stock, and all the while their piercings will show and their tat's and their gold teeth. lol

The Mcdonald's CEO has gold teeth?

TenTigers
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
K-no, those sound like great tats, especially the dragon and the proposed backpiece. I had a training brother who got a beautiful blackwork fineline portrait of his wife on his arm. They split and he covered it up with an American Eagle and shield-which from anything more than two feet away, looks like a big, black splotch.
I have on my chest, a green dragon coiled through an orchid, which I designed-I used to be a commercial artist, and an illustrator. My ex's name means imperial jade orchid, and her nickname was "Dragon Lady"-a nice piece, and then of course, her name in script underneath. I was at least smart enough to do the name in fine red line, and it is fading, so anything that covers it won't look bad.
I like your idea for the backpiece and buddhist necklace. I am curently working on my design which will basically be my schools altar-Guan-Yum on the top in the clouds, with sun and rays overhead, the clouds will darken underneath and Guan-Gung will be on his horse, amid a thunderstorm...or something like that! I also want a dragon coiling around the upper arm and shoulder. I need to research tattoos more-especially the Japanese style, which is what I want, and also the fung-soi significance and placement-don't want to permanantly set up myself for bad energies.
I am sure if I knew Jeff better, I would most likely ride his a$$ about his teeth anyway-but in a friendly way, just as Dragonclaw calls me a badda$$ biker dude-which I am not, or Yui calls me NAvy Seal, cause I work out in black cargo pants and t-shirt-I take it all in stride.
I do think that certain things like ink, the way you dress etc carry a certain stigma, and people will judge you first before getting to know you by them.
Also, I did indeed cut my hair, and throw on a suit when going for interviews.
It is a good thing that we first get to know each other on the forums, as if we did meet in the street, half of us would most likely not walk up to one another and say hi.
I know a big black guy with corn rows and a "badda$$ biker dude" make a peculiar pair, and yet Dragonclaw and I are the best of friends.
K-No-so tell me about the piercings too. Where do you have them, and why?You said you took them out-why?
(I know-so if I meet you, I can't threaten you with a magnet!):p

Here's another thing-and it just sticks in the back of my mind-during the holocaust, the Nazis took all the gold teeth out of the jews' mouths, before gassing them. Being a jew- I still feel something when I see it.
this reminds me of another tat I want-the star of david-with the word jude inside-this is the patch the Nazis sewed on Jews' arms.

David Jamieson
08-15-2006, 11:19 AM
The Mcdonald's CEO has gold teeth?

give it one generation and you'll see all sorts of change.

50s had beatnicks, the became hippies, they became normals, the new normals are not the same as the old normals. IN 25 years, the normals will be different again.

I know guys who are board of directors types etc etc. A lot of them sport earrings, many have wicked ink and so on. This would not be so in my grandpas day.

It stands to reason that things will change and they will change based on what the standards and norms are of the people who are moving ahead in time while the rest of us return to dust.

djcaldwell
08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Figured I'd join in on the hijack.

50s had beatnicks, the became hippies, they became normals, the new normals are not the same as the old normals. IN 25 years, the normals will be different again.

I know guys who are board of directors types etc etc. A lot of them sport earrings, many have wicked ink and so on. This would not be so in my grandpas day.

It stands to reason that things will change and they will change based on what the standards and norms are of the people who are moving ahead in time while the rest of us return to dust.

Being part of that "corporate" world and dealing across several industries there are some things that DO NOT change. Sorry David, I'm an executive and I have tattoos but all are hidden. Unless you see me in a T shirt or Tank top you don't know I have any. Working very closely with high level people in medical, legal, insurance and several other industries I can tell you, not just opinion but fact, that corporate appearance is and will remain conservative. You can feel free to express yourself on your own time but I am of the next generation and there is still a standard which has to be met or you will be severly limited. That is unless of course you own the business and then you are "artistic or eccentric" but even then I have to tell you there are limits.

When I'm not working I used to wear an earing (grew out of the stage though) and I spike my hair if I feel like it. But it's a collared shirt, a businessman's haircut, clean shaven and presentable.

The hippies and whatnot that you speak of all "grew up". Yeah they did their thing in their youth but eventually conformed - at least most of the successful ones did. As for this generation and the next - it's still the conversvatives that elect their successors and I'll tell you the president of my company and our Board of Directors would not consider me a successor if I didn't meet certain criteria and that goes all around.

Although idealistic and a great outlook the truth is - expression in the business world has it's place and that would be outside the office...and even then like it or not...there are still limits.

Flying-Monkey
08-15-2006, 04:10 PM

If he doesn't, what hell are you talking about? You are guessing. Even if he did, it is RARE.

jmd161
08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
What I'm asking here Jeff, is WHAT DO THESE GOLD TEETH MEAN TO YOU?

I got the gold teeth when i was 15 yrs old, I got them because i liked them and wanted them. Not because i wanted to be or look like anyone else, i wanted them.

WHAT DO THESE GOLD TEETH MEAN TO YOU?

They mean i saw something i liked and wanted and reacted. I'm from Miami you see alot more goldteeth in the south than other places.

I know the reasons, mostly, why people get tatts. I understand why people get piercings, wear certain clothes, etc. I also understand that if these people go overboard, they will negativly effect their image within the 'sociatal norm'. So the question is why?{/QUOTE]

If you understand all that why, is gold teeth so hard to figure out?

[QUOTE]See, Gold Teeth, as far as most people figure, go with classles rappers, getto hoodlums and criminals (or wanna-bees for any of the aforementioned). And if you fall into this catagory, fine. That is your thing. I don't care what your social status is, I'm just trying to figure out why you have gold teeth and what they mean to you

That's what "YOU" see when you see people with goldteeth, that's not what i think when i see goldteeth.

Not to mention by the way, "How old are you?" and "What type of Job do you have?" I am just curious, and don't feel you have to answer if you don't want to.

I'm 40 yrs old and i'm a General Manager with a Major Airline. I answered that before in the pic you can see the airline i work with.

Ya see, I can't imagine anyone getting a high paying job, one with opps for advancement (real advancement) doing something so small (like gold teeth) that you can't even see most of the time, that would prevent them from getting further in life.

Well, i guess you'd be wrong in my case then. My teeth have never stopped me from advancing, and i've worked for major corporations before this airline. I'm actually highly sought out.

CLFNole
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Jeff:

Not that it matters but didn't you say you only had two gold teeth? I don't think he said he had a full grill, so I can't see how people could hold anything against you for two teeth.

Too bad in this world people just can't be looked at for what they are not how they are perceived by looking at them.

You always have been real cool on this forum so don't sweat any of this since it is just that a kung fu forum and lord only knows who is behind some of these computers (including myself for that matter). :D

Peace.

TenTigers
08-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Jeff, let me first repeat myself and apologize if I have offended you in any way.
This is simply what happens when cultures clash. I grew up with long streaked hair,an earring,red python boots, and skin-tight jeans-which in the 70's and 80's was the norm for my lil group of rockstar wannabes.
so...How much has changed?

djcaldwell
08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
kind of ironic that this thread was started with the intention of bringing people together...

now look... :(

There is no reason why any other outcome should arise out of this "discussion". Nothing in the thread has been an "attack" or a personal assault on anyone. Rather it posed views, questions and/or opinions regarding some issues.

You're on an public forum, things are going to come up for discussion on and off topics. The comments made here were by no means offensive unless one wants to take them as such. It was clearly expressed that it wasn't meant to be insulting or offensive and shouldn't be turned into such.

If you participate in such a venue then you need to not only have a little bit of a thick skin, but also an understanding that not every comment read about you or someone else is meant to be inflamatory. I've gotten together with Ten at the gatherings it would be cool if you guys got it off the ground as well - there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why the discussion on this thread should lead to people not wanting to meet eachother. In fact it makes me more interested in meeting people face to face to share our Kung Fu and our views.

But that's just me.

jmd161
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Jeff, let me first repeat myself and apologize if I have offended you in any way.
This is simply what happens when cultures clash. I grew up with long streaked hair,an earring,red python boots, and skin-tight jeans-which in the 70's and 80's was the norm for my lil group of rockstar wannabes.
so...How much has changed?

I'm not upset or offended, i'm ok with this discussion.:cool:

CLFNOLE, yeah i have only two, but it's ok i really get a kick out of hearing others thoughts.