PDA

View Full Version : People get what they deserve

Water Dragon
07-18-2006, 09:17 PM
In regards to the endless (and I've been here a while) this vs that arguments, I've like to state one simple thing I've observed.

Students tend to find the teachers they deserve, and teachers attract the students they deserve. Everything else is incidental to that one main fact.

The Willow Sword
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM
So what brings this on all of a sudden?

Fu-Pow
07-18-2006, 10:38 PM
If I ever go to a school again, it's not going to be CMA, it's going to be MMA because at least they apply their sh*t without B.S.

Bwahahaha.....

You know what's funny to me is that all these people that practice MMA, how many actually compete...what percentage...or is it just another STYLE filled with wannabes....only difference from CMA is its heroes and legends are televised. :p

MasterKiller
07-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Bwahahaha.....

You know what's funny to me is that all these people that practice MMA, how many actually compete...what percentage...or is it just another STYLE filled with wannabes....only difference from CMA is its heroes and legends are televised. :p

I train to train. I don't train to fight.

Scott R. Brown
07-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I train to train. I don't train to fight.

Since you are the Patron Saint of Pain I thought maybe you trained for the pain!:confused:

Shaolindynasty
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Dude, don't comment on Choy Lay Fut. It's somthing you obviously know nothing about.

Fu-Pow
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I mean, let's take CLF for instance. How much time do you spend on form work versus practical applications?

I can't speak for other CLF teachers but in MY CLASS we spend close to 1hr on "fundamentals" which includes the following:

-conditioning
-single hand and foot techniques (some hands from Western boxing)
-short combinations
-2-man partner work including applications

The last 1/2 hr is spend on "level specific" work which includes forms. Eventually, we hope to have that last 1/2 hr include various kinds of San Shou (not to be confused with San Shou the sport, but could include that.)

This is different than how I learned CLF however. I don't let my beginning students learn any forms until they have completed a 3-month crash course in the "fundamentals." Then they start on some really basic short forms, working up to the "pillar sets" of CLF ie Saap Ji Kau Dah, Ping Kuen, Ping Jaang Kuen and Ng Lun Chui.

That's how we are weeding out students too. You want to learn to dance go to the ballet school. You want to learn to fight then you got do the simple stuff first, lots of repetition and building up your body for endurance, strength, flexibility, internal ging, breathing, etc.

FP

Ray Pina
07-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, I did quite a bit of research on CLF in addition to taking classes ... I will comment upon it if I want to comment upon it.

Obviously you are free to comment ... but your "reasearch (web, books, what?)" and a few classes does not leave you in a position to comment credibly.

Also, your statement that "IF you ever take up clases/training again," implies something completely different than Master Killer's "I train to train" ... which is excellent by the way.

If you are a serious martial artist you're looking to refine yourself through the journey, by going to class when you're tired, sore, don't feel like it. By measuring how well you can execute X today compared to 3 weeks ago. This is martial arts. A very small percentage of martial artists are compelled to "fight".

The attitude you expressed wouldn't produce much more weather you trained ninjitsu in a bright-orange suit, MMA or special Navy Seal H2H.

Whatever you do in this world, it's in the doing. Research is for those to ponder what other's have done or are doing.

PangQuan
07-19-2006, 11:00 AM
No, the difference between CMA and MMA is that CMA spends a ton of time on useless forms without practical applications.

CMA is a huge waste of time.

this statement proves to everyone you have not been involved in any good CMA...sorry you have been duped and fooled in the past.

that must suck

PlumDragon
07-19-2006, 11:04 AM
No, the difference between CMA and MMA is that CMA spends a ton of time on useless forms without practical applications.

CMA is a huge waste of time.
My god, why are we still discussing this??? Some CMA schools teach just forms, some dont. I do forms for ~15 min as warm up. 99% of the time I spend on martial arts is 2-man drills and exercises, often times with a good deal resistance; its rare a week goes by where I dont come home with a busted lip or a bruised chest or face.

Neil, I understand that you feel the way you do but is there really a need to keep rekindling your anger, ro whatever it is you have? This thread isnt about MMA vs CMA, its about teachers and students. Can we leave it at that?

chud
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM
If I ever go to a school again, it's not going to be CMA, it's going to be MMA because at least they apply their sh*t without B.S.

Just study what you like; if that's CMA then great, if that's MMA then great.
I'm sure you'll find good and bad teachers in either group.

MasterKiller
07-19-2006, 12:14 PM
As for training just for training ... that makes no sense. Sewing just for sewing? Training just for training? Last I checked this was a martial art. Applied martial arts is fighting.
Fighting is what I do when some guy decides to grab my wife in a bar.

Training is what I do when I'm working techniques against a resisting partner who won't stab me if I mess up.

Ignoring is what I'll do to the rest of your posts. What a maroon.

KC Elbows
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
As for training just for training ... that makes no sense. Sewing just for sewing? Training just for training? Last I checked this was a martial art. Applied martial arts is fighting.

Fighting just for fighting?

If you do a thing for the long haul, it's either because 1) You are living in a feudal society where you are owned and have no choice but do it, or 2) You do it because you like doing it simply because you like it.

To my knowledge, Jackie Chan and some people from the PRC are the only people doing martial arts for any other reason than that they like it. No one does it primarily for functionality, since it's a fairly unimportant skill even among combatives.

You are basically up on a high horse with a guy who lives up to the mma fantasy, while you are talking about it. You could be listening, or training, but instead you're talking. Do you think that will get you far in "mma"?

Chief Fox
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
...CMA is a huge waste of time...

Why are you here? You add nothing to the community. Leave. Leave now!

KC Elbows
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Neily, I'm not sure you can maintain the high ground while posting about your lack of success with women.

I mean, I understand that you don't train, but this whole "why won't women sleep with me" is doing more damagae to your credibility. This kind of behavior only attracts people trolling you into ranting further. What you should do is announce you're leaving. This should prove your point.

Chief Fox
07-19-2006, 02:07 PM
IMHO CMA wasn't always such a huge waste of time.

You're really mad about my comments about forms being stupid, eh?

Ahahahahahaha

Must have hit a nerve.

Yes, forms by themselves are stupid and people who play with weapons are a bunch of wankers.

How's that? Mad now? Ahahahahahahaha

That's the truth of it, eh? That you're a bunch of MA wannabes with dreams of being the next Jackie Chan or winning your forms competitions.

No, that's not entirely true because some people on here do sparring like JP.

Anyways, you're a bunch of insecure morons and I'm out of here. Because you're not listening to what I'm saying you're showing your insecurity.

Forms queens. (Except those who fight, of course, like JP).
Man, I feel sorry for your kids. No wonder your wife dumped you.

Let me get this straight, I'm insecure because I'm not listening to you. Do you even listen to yourself? If you did, you would realize that you're a complete dumb@ss!

David Jamieson
07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Guy, you're preaching the uselessness of cma and the superiority of mma in Kungfu Magazines forums.

I think the reactions you are expecting are the ones you are getting. Isn't that what you want?

anyway, how many foms do you know? lots? are they good? can you kill bruce lee with them?

:p

p.s we can all read and write here.

Fu-Pow
07-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I respect JP for putting up his sparring clips but honestly I spar about 10x harder than that with my classmates....and I do kung fu.

You know what I'm starting to think is that this whole MMA superiority complex comes from people that have had wanky kung fu instruction.

I don't blame them because there is a lot of that out there....internal training is even worse in this respect.

But for those of us that do kung fu that have had really good teachers, teachers that kept it real, that pushed us I don't see much of point that MMA, as a style is any better than good kung fu as a style.

The difference is not in MMA as a "style" but the level of dedication that people who COMPETE put into there training. MMA peeps who don't train at competition level have no advantage.

If kung fu peeps put in that kind of effort then we wouldn't be having this discussion but until recently a good competitive format hasn't been available that would warrant that level of training.

Good kung fu will have its day in the sun again...mark my words.

FP

Water Dragon
07-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Wow, this isn't really where I intended this thread to go. However, in an effort to reel this back in:

Is it that Kung Fu can't fight, or is it that people who find these schools are the people who deserve these schools. By that I mean, are these students in these schools because they are not willing to give what it takes to learn how to fight?

I think the biggest advantage MMA has over TMA is the hardcore competition culture. It's just very hide for frauds to hide inside of MMA. They would be/are found out rather quickly. In CMA specifically, frauds can hide behind things like 'too deadly' myths and still operate.

Most MMA guys I know started in/still train TMA. These are the guys who deserved something better. We kept looking till we found it. There are some of us who found the 'real' CMA, we're just the majority. The funny thing is I've never met someone who 'had' Gong Fu that didn't at least respect the hell outta MMA and BJJ. I've also never met anyone in MMA who didn't respect what I did. Especially the stuff I could pull off in sparring.

This argument really only exists on the internet. You odn't come across the issue much at all in the real world. MOST MMA guys either are or were TMA guys too.

KC Elbows
07-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Okay. I am leaving.

Now look, I understand that you recently have had a lot of loss of confidence, that happens to some people, just because you have trouble finding women, you start looking at all aspects of your life, you're getting pushed around and you give up martial arts, now you're gonna give up forums too?

I'm just saying that only you can rebuild your confidence, this temporary impotence you're suffering, I'm sure you can overcome it.

Also, you talk about how you want to get laid so bad, this is part of your problem, you're being desperate. I know that kids your age a lot of times get all worked up over it, it's just hormones. There's a lot of books you might consider checking out that can help you through this period of your youth, like My Body, My Mind or many others, these are written for young people your age by adult experts who can help explain to you all the changes you're going through.

chud
07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Guy, you're preaching the uselessness of cma and the superiority of mma in Kungfu Magazines forums.

Seems to happen quite a bit here.

Royal Dragon
07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Also, you talk about how you want to get laid so bad, this is part of your problem, you're being desperate. I know that kids your age a lot of times get all worked up over it, it's just hormones. There's a lot of books you might consider checking out that can help you through this period of your youth, like My Body, My Mind or many others, these are written for young people your age by adult experts who can help explain to you all the changes you're going through.

Reply]
Ahh I thought Neil was just sick of Women's bs? Did I miss something?

The Willow Sword
07-19-2006, 07:05 PM
It seems like this thread is turning into why MMA is way better than anything else on the planet. Look Neil if MMA is your thing and learning the essentials for brutalizing others is your thang then go post in the "Reality/Street fighting" forums. Or go join your buddies on Bullshido who consume WAY TOO MUCH PROTIEN Powder shakes and Adrenal gland taxing supplements. go cry and whine on that board and see how far you get with them.

STFU and RESPECT the ARTS(even if you disagree with them in whatever fashion you choose)

I disagree with capoeira as an effective fighting method but i repsect the art and find certain aspects within Effective. Try to have the same attitude with respect to CMA in ALL its Forms.

Peace,TWS

SPJ
07-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Forms sometimes are just like a menu or catalogue.

Can you eat everything on the menu at one meal?

probably not.

then take your time to practice and learn all the apps.

or order some from the menu and enjoy the flavor and taste.

--

We usually have to do a lot of basics or frames/postures or Jia Zi before we even touch Tao Lu or forms.

Basics every day. years of practicing Jia Zhi before forms.

--

:D

MasterKiller
07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Remember, this is the same guy who can't take instruction, and gets mad because teachers don't let him correct their students.

He's a total joke.

KC Elbows
07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Ahh I thought Neil was just sick of Women's bs? Did I miss something?

I don't know, I'm just providing random answers so he can continue to rant, it's fairly entertaining.

Yum Cha
07-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I think "what they deserve" is incomplete. People are drawn to what they want. All the value judgements in the world don't change the fact that different people have different values.

Some people have pre-conceptions and search for the fulfillment of their ideal.

Some people are empty cups, and get filled up with something that they then come to believe.

And there are so many degrees of variations between. In the end, you find what suits you and you pursue it over time and garner the rewards.

Those that don't pursue anything over time end up with nothing but empty skills and hollow rants, those that do, understand the difference.

Art is in the doing, not in the end product, but of course, you have to be dooer to understand that.