PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Black Belt Mag festival

Phil Redmond
07-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Black Belt Magazine's 2nd Annual Festival of Martial Arts

Long Beach Convention Center (Hall A)

July, 28, 29, 30

I'll be in L.A. with William Cheung and Keith Mazza from July 26th until Aug. 3rd. There will be 2 hour clinics with different martial artists. William Cheung's clinic will be on Sat. July 29 from 12:30 - 2:30. I will be meeting with my old Sifu Alan Lamb and I hope to meet Ernie and Dale while I'm there. If anyone else wants to meet with me please email me.

PR

Ernie
07-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Black Belt Magazine's 2nd Annual Festival of Martial Arts

Long Beach Convention Center (Hall A)

July, 28, 29, 30

I'll be in L.A. with William Cheung and Keith Mazza from July 26th until Aug. 3rd. There will be 2 hour clinics with different martial artists. William Cheung's clinic will be on Sat. July 29 from 12:30 - 2:30. I will be meeting with my old Sifu Alan Lamb and I hope to meet Ernie and Dale while I'm there. If anyone else wants to meet with me please email me.

PR

Hey Phil
I might have another suprise KFO guest from canada , for you to meet , on sunday i think after noon i can take you both to get some cuban food !!!! If you got some wheels maybe we can all meet at Gary's ! around 11 and then head out from there ....

i'm busy both sat and sun mornings but should be able to free up my afternoons ;)

Knifefighter
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I will be competing there... should be a monster of an event.

Hopefully, we can get our schedules to coordinate.

tjwingchun
07-21-2006, 04:09 AM
I will be meeting with my old Sifu Alan Lamb and I hope to meet Ernie and Dale while I'm there. If anyone else wants to meet with me please email me.

PR

Phil, could you please pass on my regards to Alan, he was also my first instructor back in '74/'76 at the Whitehall Road School in Gateshead. He won't remember the skinny 14 year old, but I have fond memories and appreciate that he started me on what has become a 32 year passage down the Wing Chun trail.

Cheers Trevor Jefferson

Phil Redmond
07-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Hey Ernie, I'll see you Sunday then.

Dale, when are you competing? I'd like to see you.

tjwingchun, I'll tell him when I see him. Are you anywhere near Manchester? That's where Alan said he's from.
PR

Ernie
07-21-2006, 07:05 AM

Dale if your free sunday afternoon maybe we can all get some food !!!! good luck at the comp .

gabe
07-21-2006, 08:02 AM
What a great opportunity to exchange. I hope you take advantage of it Dale. Some great WC people there. Good luck in your comp.

tjwingchun
07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey Ernie, I'll see you Sunday then.

Dale, when are you competing? I'd like to see you.

tjwingchun, I'll tell him when I see him. Are you anywhere near Manchester? That's where Alan said he's from.
PR

Nope Felling, Gateshead is just over the river from Newcastle where I think he was from, but cannot swear by that.

Much of the time the class was run by a senior student Alec Au, when Alan was off furthering his personal Wing Chun knowledge.

I know he trained a bit in Manchester and was a friend of Danny Connor who was from there, Danny was a canny lad who unfortunately died in 2000, but he did much to promote all the MA's in the UK, Karate and Tai Chi, as well as Wing Chun. It was only a few years back that one of Alan's associates also died, John Darwin from Preston, another genuine character who was instrumental in getting Wing Chun off the ground in the UK.

Just glad to hear that Alan is still fighting fit as I heard quite some years ago from Danny that he suffered a very serious illness.

I was training the same time as Kevin Steele and Alan Agar, who Alan might remember, Alan Agar still teaches in the North East, whereas the last time I talked to Kevin he was living in Hong Kong and working for Alec Au I believe.

Hope you have a good meet, its what the Wing Chun community needs more dialogue across the so-called different styles, we should be celebrating personal differences/abilities accepting their skills and learning from them.

Knifefighter
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
when are you competing?
I'll be competing in the sub-grappling tourney. I'll probably be doing two or three different divisions in the advanced category.

I haven't yet decided about the BJJ tournament. If I do compete there, you'll be able to find me in the black belt matches.

Not sure which tourney is on Saturday and which is on Sunday... need to find that out.

What days will you be there?

AmanuJRY
07-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun.:cool:

Phil Redmond
07-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I'll be competing in the sub-grappling tourney. I'll probably be doing two or three different divisions in the advanced category.

I haven't yet decided about the BJJ tournament. If I do compete there, you'll be able to find me in the black belt matches.

Not sure which tourney is on Saturday and which is on Sunday... need to find that out.

What days will you be there?
I'll be there all three days. I left you a voice message this morning.
Phil

Phil Redmond
07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
. . . . . Hope you have a good meet, its what the Wing Chun community needs more dialogue across the so-called different styles, we should be celebrating personal differences/abilities accepting their skills and learning from them.
I agree with you. I have friends in all "styles" of WC.
You may be right. Alan may be from Newcastle and only taught in Manchester. I'll pass the names onto him when I see him. He just called me while I was at the Kuoshu tourney in MD. I actually saw kung fu people who could fight full contact standup there. Go figure . . .:rolleyes:
PR

Eliver
07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Are there going to be any fellow intermediate students coming? I'd like to get a feel for the hands of some other WC schools without getting tossed around like a sack of potatoes for 10 minutes straight. :o

marcus_pasram
07-23-2006, 05:05 PM
KF,

I just wanted to wish you the best in your upcoming competitions!

Phil Redmond
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I got to hang out with Gary Lam, Alan Lamb, Ernie, Matrix, and the very popular ;), Dale Frank while in L.A. Thanks to them all for their hospitality.
PR

Ernie
08-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Phil,
it was just killer to get to hang out with you and meet your students , awesome people , great atitudes and most of all wing chun crazy ! but your more wing chun crazy then all of them ..... Phil i always knew you were a great guy , but meeting you really brought that into reality ...

still owe you some cuban food and sorry i was burned out , my new boss has me on lock down ,,,,

hey man send me some pictures !

Phil Redmond
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Phil,
it was just killer to get to hang out with you and meet your students , awesome people , great atitudes and most of all wing chun crazy ! but your more wing chun crazy then all of them ..... Phil i always knew you were a great guy , but meeting you really brought that into reality ...

still owe you some cuban food and sorry i was burned out , my new boss has me on lock down ,,,,

hey man send me some pictures !
Thanks Ernie, your guys are great. I loved L.A. I got to go Salsa dancing and I did get to eat at a Cuban restaurant. You might see me there again real soon. I'll send you some pics tonight. I just got back today and I need some sleep.
Phil

Phil Redmond
08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I forgot to mention that I met Matrix. He's a nice guy as well. There were some other forum members at Gary Lam's as well but I don't remember their screen names. :(
Phil

Phil Redmond
08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Me and Dale (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Phil-Dale.JPG)
Lam1 (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Ernie_Matrix_Phil.JPG)
Lam2 (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Lam's-yard.JPG)
Lam3 (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Ernie-Rahsun-Gary-Phil.JPG)
PR

sihing
08-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Me and Dale (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Phil-Dale.JPG)
Lam1 (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Ernie_Matrix_Phil.JPG)
Lam2 (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Lam's-yard.JPG)
Lam3 (http://www.sifupr.com/GLam/Ernie-Rahsun-Gary-Phil.JPG)
PR

Awesome pictures Phil, looks like everyone was havin some fun..:D

Dale, you look pretty ripped, and your in your late 40's???:confused:

J

Ernie
08-05-2006, 10:57 PM
I forgot to mention that I met Matrix. He's a nice guy as well. There were some other forum members at Gary Lam's as well but I don't remember their screen names. :(
Phil

thanks Phil !
Paul --KFO paul h ,,,Emil --KFO Budhafist -- Johnny-KFO jru [guy from the Beimo short film ]

and few others :D

Phil Redmond
08-06-2006, 12:43 PM
thanks Phil !
Paul --KFO paul h ,,,Emil --KFO Budhafist -- Johnny-KFO jru [guy from the Beimo short film ]

and few others :D
Gracias Ernie, please tell them it was great meeting them.
Phil

Ultimatewingchun
08-06-2006, 03:52 PM
No, James...I hear he's one of us real oldtimers. (ie.- in his 50's) ;) :rolleyes: :D

Congrats to all of you guys on havin' such a blast. Sorry I wasn't there.

Matrix
08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Gracias Ernie, please tell them it was great meeting them.Phil,
It was great to meet you as well. I wish your student great success in Australia. Sounds like an awesome gig. He's got really quick hands. :cool:
By the way, I didn't catch his name.

I have a few pics I can send you if you like.

Phil Redmond
08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Phil,
It was great to meet you as well. I wish your student great success in Australia. Sounds like an awesome gig. He's got really quick hands. :cool:
By the way, I didn't catch his name.

I have a few pics I can send you if you like.
It was great meeting you as well. His name is Rahsun Herkul. I've been teaching him for over 26 years. He was with me when I was teaching "another" version of WC. Please send me the pics.
Thx in advance,
Phil

Matrix
08-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey Phil,

Rashun showed a lot of skill, no doubt about that.
What was equally impressive was his spirit, which I found to be very open, postive and humble. He just seemed like a very down-to-earth guy. :cool:

I'm a little bagged from taking the red-eye last night, so I'll send you the pics tomorrow.

Ernie
08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Hey Phil,

Rashun showed a lot of skill, no doubt about that.
What was equally impressive was his spirit, which I found to be very open, postive and humble. He just seemed like a very down-to-earth guy. :cool:

I'm a little bagged from taking the red-eye last night, so I'll send you the pics tomorrow.

nice picture ,,, who's the good looking guy in the background :D

Oh and Rashun rocked he was a great guy !!!

Matrix
08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
nice picture ,,, who's the good looking guy in the background :DI don't remember his name, but he knows the way to an awesome Cuban restaurant down near Venice Beach. ;)

CFT
08-09-2006, 01:52 AM
nice picture ,,, who's the good looking guy in the background :DAll I see is a camera and a novelty Ernie-shaped camera tripod!

Ernie
08-09-2006, 07:57 AM
All I see is a camera and a novelty Ernie-shaped camera tripod!

soon to be on sale on Ebay for 50 cents !!!!

CFT
08-09-2006, 08:06 AM
soon to be on sale on Ebay for 50 cents !!!!Make sure you put on a "But it now" price, I don't want to get into a bidding war with the other KFM forum guys. :p

Matrix
08-09-2006, 06:31 PM
nice picture ,,, who's the good looking guy in the background :DGood looking guy? Hmmmmm. Looks like a bit of a troll to me, but I understand that he is a master of the force. Better to be good using than good looking. ;)

drleungjohn
08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
So Phil how did the event go-details,stories,reviews??

Phil Redmond
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
So Phil how did the event go-details,stories,reviews??
Well I got to meet and take pics with many of the people I'd seen in the MA Mags over the years. Linda and Shannon Lee were there. My favorite though was the only man that can wear a pink Gi and dare you to say something about it. The living legend Gene Lebell. He's such a character and very friendly.
PR

RedJunkRebel
08-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Sorry I missed you, Phil. I wanted to meet you. I've been in a cave for a couple weeks working on getting the Summer issue of the Teahouse mag out. The good news is it'll be out this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting that article from you. We'd be happy to have it for the Spring issue.

Phil Redmond
08-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Sorry I missed you, Phil. I wanted to meet you. I've been in a cave for a couple weeks working on getting the Summer issue of the Teahouse mag out. The good news is it'll be out this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting that article from you. We'd be happy to have it for the Spring issue.
Hi Adam, I have some good news for you. I'll send you an email.
Phil

stricker
08-12-2006, 06:43 AM
aaah LA memories. im sure you all had the best time :)

i went and trained with Gokor and Gene Lebelle, got the holiday snap afterwards and everything :)

matrix you got the versailles treatment too then :D nice photoshop work :)

you better have done well in the bjj tourney knifefighter or were gonna have to get a new bjj troll hahaha

Ernie
08-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Good looking guy? Hmmmmm. Looks like a bit of a troll to me, but I understand that he is a master of the force. Better to be good using than good looking. ;)
ah your camera captured the ''inner'' spirit !;)

Matrix
08-12-2006, 09:16 AM
matrix you got the versailles treatment too then :D nice photoshop work :)Stricker, I was treated VERY well and enjoyed all of my time in LA. The Versailles experience was memorable - great food and drink with fantastic people; what more can you ask for. :cool:

As for the photoshop work. It was a bit rushed, but I'm glad you liked it. :D