PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Mahjong

Li Kao
07-23-2006, 11:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Mahjong

I saw this on the shelf at the video store the other day -- has anyone seen this yet? The film stars Yuen Wah and Yuen Qiu from Kung Fu Hustle and the packaging was obviously an attempt to cash in/tie into Kung Fu Hustle. I understand why this is done in terms of marketing but think it's a rather cheesy ploy (like when Quentain Tarrantino's name was attached to the release of Hero.)

Nothing against Wong Jing either -- he did basically create the whole Hong Kong gambling movie genre with the success of God of Gamblers (starring Chow Yun Fat and Andy Lau), a movie I enjoyed, and Naked Killer remains a favorite "guilty pleasure" of mine, but this recent forray seems really contrived. Just wondering if anyone has seen it and what the general consensus was ...

jethro
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't buy it buy I am glad I saw it. I guess it might help if I new how to play mahjong. But I still found it very enjoyable. Just saw mahjong 2 recently and it was almost as good even though the 2 stars only have cameos.

And of Jing Wogn films, you left off Liquid Sword

Gordon Liu-"who are you", man replies-"I am Batman".

Banjos_dad
07-24-2006, 02:51 PM
(like when Quentain Tarrantino's name was attached to the release of Hero.)

not to mention "Iron Monkey," imo the all-around best modern KF movie. What an @sshat...
you can tell he had nothing to do with it as even the trranslated, dubbed-in English dialogue track is noticeably better than any of the original dialogue he has ever managed to pinch off (including Pulp Fiction)
hey Tarantino, Blockbuster Video called...there's a spot opening up for you on the night shift.... snap!

Li Kao
07-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Ah yes Jethro, who can forget that classic line! Still makes me laugh ...

I see that Wong Jing has gone to the well again in casting Yuen Wah / Yuen Qiu as the kung fu supercouple in My Kung Fu Sweetheart. He sure is milking that pairing for all its worth.

Banjos,

Regarding the use of big name tie-ins as a marketing ploy (actually, the American version of Liquid Sword is a perfect example -- the DVD cover would lead you to believe that Gordon Liu is the star -- it features his name in bold titles and has a huge mug shot of him -- when in reality it's an Aaron Kwok movie and Gordon has basically a several minute -- albeit classic -- cameo), this has been discussed in other threads before on this forum ... it can be frustrating on some level to film purists and afficianados like ourselves, but it's just how promotion and marketing goes. They are trying to make a buck and despite if you like QT or not, his name on the box/poster/trailer sells movies. Personally, he at least has my respect for releasing a movie by my favorite director, Wong Kar Wai, on his film company, which means exposure to American fans who might otherwise never see or hear of him.

jethro
07-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Drunken Fist Boxing-perfect example, Jackie is in the movie for about 20 seconds form what I saw. But then again, that is form the samew comapny that put out Legend of the LIquid Sword.

Also, I know you have heard aboiut this, some really good news.

http://kungfucinema.com/2006/071102.htm