PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Heavy Bag Training

wingchunmike
07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
I finally forked over the $$ and bought myself a heavy bag stand for my apartment.I have a 6' Muai Thai bag & a traditional wallbag.The only problem was the heavy bag would keep tearing out the ceiling bolts from the ceiling and even knocking the upstairs neighbors' furniture around.I could hear their furniture rattling.Once I even knocked their ashtray off of a desk.For $180 the heavy bag stand is worth every penny.I have it mounted with a smaller heavy bag behind it (secured with black duct tape) to keep it from swinging or moving.I like to be able to blast the hell out of it without having to wait for it to return.I have several hundreds of pounds of weights to hold the bag stand in place.I even have mounted a traditional wallbag to the side of the stand.Now I can practice Wing Chun chain punches along with Muai Thai round kicks & elbows etc.

TenTigers
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
That's a great setup-is there room to get full swings from your kicks, such as roundhouse or wheel kicks? Cab you move around the bag throwing combos?
I take it, you don't have downstairs neighbors:eek:
The wavemaster xxl from century is another possibility, although those bags never seem to be able to take the kicks that a regukar heavybag can.

IronFist
07-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Really? I hung a heavy bag from the studs in the ceiling of my apartment and I never had a problem. Then again, I was on the top floor and my bag only weighed 60-70 pounds I think.

Nice stand.

David Jamieson
07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
wavemasters are a joke. sorry wavemaster, but you have released a crappy crappy product to teh market that has no value to people who want to learn how to actually strike properly. There is no feedback in a wave master. Ok, there's a tiny little bit, but nothing that will help you self correct.

you can hit those things with a bent wrist and they'll still move across the room.

anyhow, that setup looks good, but a ficus would look better in that corner, maybe a fountain. :p

Water Dragon
07-24-2006, 05:09 PM
I just take mine outside and hang it on a tree. Run a couple laps with it on your shoulder for a warm up and a cool down.

But the Texas heat does make you go :eek:

David Jamieson
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
yeah carry training suXxors.

but if soldiers do it in boot camp to help with their endurance, then so should you!

i hate running.

Mr Punch
07-25-2006, 04:30 AM
I have a good free-standing bag on my balcony...

it's not as good as a heavy bag like wingchunmike's but it does the job. I put over 90 kilos of sand and water in the base... it's gonna be a bugger if I ever have to move it! It rocks about a bit and gives some feedback. I had to put foam mats under it because it was making a hell of a thundering row on the concrete, and I only use it in daylight hours.

I'd love to live in a country with real buildings again... sigh.