PDA

View Full Version : Chi power?

jbmmaster
06-16-2001, 10:31 PM
Okay Ive been hearing so much about the internal arts of kungfu though once in awhile I hear something about chi demonstration. Now I hear about people with strong chi in which they can do things that sound a little abnormal. like moving cups without touching it, or putting a candle light out with their eyes, though that one seems a little to made up. However lots of people dont know about this power. I dont want to sound like Ive been watching to much t.v. but even bruce lee has done a demonstration of chi, "the one inch punch", call it chi or not but punching someone that weighs about 2 times as much as you an making them fly back seems like thats more than muscle. When I talk about this to others they seem to laugh which seems to be a normal reaction, thought what do you think about it? the logic of building up the organs in the body to be able to release kinetic enery seems somewhat logical to me.

Also does anybody know any websites that actually show testing of chi power

"always expect the unexpected"

Ky-Fi
06-16-2001, 11:30 PM
This is admittedly a somewhat limited analogy, but watch a pro baseball pitcher---especially Pedro Martinez of the Red Sox (2001, this is the year, baby! :)) He's a fairly slight, skinny guy, and one of the hardest throwers in the game. You won't see him spending much time in the weight room, or winning any bench-press contests---because building up muscular strength is not particularly important when it comes to throwing the ball hard.

Internal Flow
06-17-2001, 08:11 AM
Laughing at something that you dont know is at least stupid, and has nothing to do with logic.

All things return to it as to their home, but it does not lord it over them.
Thus it may be called "The Great"

PlasticSquirrel
06-20-2001, 05:06 AM
telekinesis, clairvoyance, telepathy, and those sorts of things are the result of training the mind through meditation.

internal strength, exploding power, and rooting are various results of cultivating and developing qi (through qigong and gongfu).

of course, these extraordinary skills are the by-product of far greater rewards, such as both a healthy and fit body and a trained and clear mind.

as for qi, it is what western scientists would call electromagnetic energy. more specifically, it is a combination of several types of electromagnetic energy.

the reason that we don't know more about these things here in the west is that matter is very easy to explore and look into. we have spent nearly all of our efforts into exploring matter, yet there is a completely different world out there full of different types of energy, radiating in different ways, and we are ignorant of it. we have not cultivated it or recognized it's presence in all things.

of course, this post is not well-written, and shows a small, small area of internal training. to learn more, i would recommend:

chi kung for health and vitality, by wong kiew-kit

qigong for health and martial arts, by yang jwing-ming

i should also mention that two out of the three main internal styles are hard on the outside, while soft on the inside, rather than the other way around, as is often presumed. those two, baguazhang and xingyiquan, are also practiced at full speed, and not slowly as internal arts are often thought of being.

Water Dragon
06-20-2001, 05:22 AM
SINK the BREATH to the DAN TIEN to develop INTERNAL strength.

It's actually a very literal translation, as I'm beginning to find out. And it's not mystical or esoteric by any STRETCH of the imagination.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Qiman
06-20-2001, 06:19 AM
J. B. take a look at this web site. I don't know what to think of it. My sifu says that this man is a good teacher. I did not ask him about these demonstrations however.
www.yichankungfu.com (http://www.yichankungfu.com/)

I can never get these dam links to work. I know I typed it right.

-------------------------I am fortunate to have a teacher to correct my foolish ways......Qiman

[This message was edited by Qiman on 06-20-01 at 09:25 PM.]

ELFdisciple
06-20-2001, 08:25 PM
Internal Iron Palm breaks bricks with a soft break, the arm is fully extended and the brick(s) are at least thigh level. My instructor breaks from his knees with the brick(s) at about chest level (arm fully extended). If that isn't chi, I don't know what is. Control is part of the art, you aren't considered to have skill unless you can break one brick that is in between four others and all are sitting on a silk pillow. My instructor also showed us how to test our chi by fogging up a mirror. If you are good and really got the chi flowing you can fog up at least a 3ft section without touching the mirror. I love this stuff.

ELFdisciple

Direct Disciple to the 37th Patriarch of Emperor's Long-Fist Kung-Fu

Practitioner of:
Internal Iron Palm
Genki Ryu Do Karate
White Crane and Spirit Dragon SCA combat

walkthecircle
06-21-2001, 10:48 PM
http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/crushing/journal/article01.html/