PDA

View Full Version : Departing student

Meklorien
07-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi all,

I need your advice. One of my students (10 years old) just informed me that his family is moving to Oregon next week. I want to give him something as a send off as he has been a terrific student. Any appropriate advice is appreciated.

Lee Chiang Po
07-27-2006, 07:32 PM
A group picture, signed by all his fellow students?

Meklorien
07-27-2006, 10:52 PM
A group picture, signed by all his fellow students?

A good idea. Problem there is he is leaving on Wednesday and most of the students won't be around until after. Real bummer though. That would be a great keepsake for him.

edward
07-28-2006, 04:55 AM
give him a center line punch, so he can always remember you

Buddha_Fist
07-28-2006, 07:21 AM
give him a center line punch, so he can always remember you

With a 50 lb dumbbell to the jaw. Don't forget the upward angle. :D

Meklorien
07-28-2006, 08:32 AM
With a 50 lb dumbbell to the jaw. Don't forget the upward angle. :D

:D

Too funny. But seriously, any unique ideas are appreciated.

Chief Fox
07-28-2006, 08:35 AM
kick his a$$. This way he'll always have a unique story to tell when talking about the old school he used to attend. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Meklorien
07-28-2006, 10:03 AM
...(sigh)...

DRleungjan
07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi there Meklorien,

Any vids of you and your classes? maybe make him a copy of one...I'm always fond of old vids.

DRleungjan:)

Meklorien
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi there Meklorien,

Any vids of you and your classes? maybe make him a copy of one...I'm always fond of old vids.

DRleungjan:)

There's no vid of the classes, but that's not a bad idea. Maybe I can document things on the last night on video for him so he has something to look back on. Thanks Leung Jan.

Lindley
07-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Don't give him anything. Offer to go out to eat and discuss ways to continue to foster the relationship. If nothing else, maybe give him some personal item of yours that you wish to pass on to him.

Meklorien
07-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't give him anything. Offer to go out to eat and discuss ways to continue to foster the relationship. If nothing else, maybe give him some personal item of yours that you wish to pass on to him.

Actually I had thought of that, but since he's 10 years old and is moving to another state I wasn't sure what I could give him. I think I will be giving him a video of the last day of class, but I did want to give him something between he and I. He's been a great student and I would like to give him something more than the video. I don't have any trinkets or such that are worth giving.

I WOULD like to give him a wing chun ring but they run a bit more than I can spare at the moment.

But you've given me the idea that maybe I can get the address to his next location and send him something a little later. In fact, yes. I think that's just what I'll do in that area. Thanks Lindley.

Chief Fox
07-28-2006, 02:29 PM
I was going to say maybe give him a sword. But those are kinda pricey and seeing how he's only 10. Maybe not such a good idea.

Hey, I just found these cool little shaolin monk statues. Maybe get him one of those, they look pretty cool.

http://www.ninja-weapons.com/Decorative/Shoalin_Statues/

Sihing73
07-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Hello,

If he is really into Wing Chun then it might not be a bad idea to present him with one of the mini Wing Chun Dummies. You can even have a little plaque engraved and put on the base of the stand. This is not all that difficult nor expensive and he can display it in his room. It would also be a reminder of the time spent training and also be a nice conversation piece for his friends.

Meklorien
07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Hello,

If he is really into Wing Chun then it might not be a bad idea to present him with one of the mini Wing Chun Dummies. You can even have a little plaque engraved and put on the base of the stand. This is not all that difficult nor expensive and he can display it in his room. It would also be a reminder of the time spent training and also be a nice conversation piece for his friends.

I like this idea. I had given him a shaolin monk statue sometime back and was kind considering this idea for now.

I want to thank you guys for your ideas. I really appreciate your help.

The Xia
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Help him find a good kwoon in his new area so he can continue training. This is one of the best gifts you can give a serious practitioner.

Songshan
08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I would give him a nice framed school certificate....kind of making him an part of an alumni. Certificates and trophies go a long way with someone that age and its something they can look back on when they get older. Good Luck !