PDA

View Full Version : Step Training

TaiChiStorm
07-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Hey folks,
I am currently attending a special training week which was initated by our shifu. It's a intensive step-training. After 4 days now, I am very surprised about the importance of stepping in tanglang.
The first thing our master told us, was that quick, and technical clean stepping is the most important issue when it comes to a fight. (at competitions as on the street)
As we learn the form (which, in our school, is the most important and mostly done thing), we often take the mistake of not concentrating on our step. I personally always knew that the STANCE is very important, so I do stance training every day. But I never thought of particulary step training.
Our training this week consisted only of step training. At first, we learned all the 8 steps, which are used in Taiji Tanglang Quan, without partner. Of course I knew them all from my forms, but I could not do them easily without any form. Especially, I don't have enough power to step forward long enough (attack) or step into the right distance to my partner. It was very hard. Our shifu can do a 2 meter- ban-bu step very quickly.
This is excactly what was missing when I did sanshou after the training every week: THE LAST FINAL STEP INTO THE OPPONENT. So I am sure, that I already increased my fighting technic until now.

What's your oppinion about this? Do you do particular step training?

Greets
TaiChiStorm

Three Harmonies
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head brother! Footwork is paramount. Without we cannot defend, we cannot launch an offense. We have no power without the step (or I should say no WHOLE body power). If you do not step properly, with the exact timing you will not be effective in your technique and will be missing parts of your grill:D !
Who is your teacher? Thank him for me because I think it is great to see someone willing to breakdown the nitty gritty details of our art, and to teach just footwork for 3 days......that is rich. You are obviously with a good teacher! Keep training.
Cheers
Jake :cool:

Tony P
07-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Stepping is one of the fundamentals and therefore critical for fighting. A mantra I preach is, “Transition is application” it is not always as important how you look in the final pose of the movement but how you got there. That is what determines and defines the application of the movement. Stepping is a transition and therefore critical for fighting.

I am pleased to see others teaching with this level of detail.

Beat wishes with you training,

Tony P.