PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mako 1933-2006

GeneChing
07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
One of the great Asian actors of his generation, with a film career spanning over four decades, Mako succumbed to esophageal cancer on July 21st, 2006. I'll always remember him as Jackie's lusty uncle with a passion for Rubenesque ladies in The Big Brawl. A great pioneer for Asians in cinema has passed on.

Dale Dugas
07-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Ive lit incense in front of my sun toi and rang my gong for the man.

He will be missed.

The Xia
07-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Mako will be missed. He was a great actor with distinctive characteristics. He brought style to every one of his roles.

Li Kao
07-29-2006, 02:22 AM
He was a true pioneer and like James Hong, paved the way and created opportunities for Asian actors in America.

I first saw him in the great period-piece detective TV movie Judge Dee and the Monastery Murders (in which James Hong also appeared). He was fantastic in The Big Brawl -- who can forget the tennis ball training sequence and the sparring while using a cane against Jacky was classic. I thought he was great as the wizard in the original Conan -- "Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

I got to meet Mako a few years ago at the last Dragonfest convention. This was when the event had degenerated to a gathering of mostly washed-up actors peddling their autographs and promo photos. It was pretty disheartening to me as I had such a good time at the previous ones but the event seemed to have lost its steam and some of the personalities there didn't want to even talk to you unless you were buying an autograph or photo (which I find degrading to both the star and the fan). At any rate, Mako was there and was giving away promo materials free of charge, posing for photos, and beaming a smile all the while. He was very gracious with his time and spent about 15 minutes chatting with me, politely answering fanboy questions. It was the highlight of the event for me -- wish I had the photo with him scanned, so I could post it. Definitely a classy and unforgettable individual.

The Xia
07-29-2006, 10:00 AM
So many people assume that all show biz types are stuck-up fruitcakes but that is proven false with many individuals. Mako was certainly one of those individuals.
Mako even brought light to super-cheesy movies, think "Sidekicks".

jethro
07-29-2006, 12:49 PM
the 2 good things about "the big brawl".

Good comments on James Hong too, the guy was/is in everything. Don't forget about James wogn though. Governor with 9 wives in Iron Monkey and composer of Once Upon a Time In China.

Sorry to see mako go, one of the great actors.

Lokhopkuen
07-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I just met him recently as he was the voice for Uncle Iroh on Avatar the last airbender. Strange when I touched his hand I knew he was not long for this world. Below is the link to a picture I snapped with my phone.

http://www.harmoniousfist.com/04-11-06_1527.jpg

He was a great man.

Peace

Pork Chop
07-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Best voice actor ever....

gonna miss him

brianK
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Rest in peace Mako. I'll never forget his intro to Conan "His was a tale of high adventure..." I'll also never forget when he busted out on Bruce Lee with tanglang on the Green Hornet. You'll be missed.

The Willow Sword
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I remember Mako making his screen debut in the "Green Hornet" Series With Bruce Lee. Mako Played the Evil Praying Mantis Master and Had a Quick Duel with Lee In that episode.

And YES i will always remember MAKO's Role as the Wizard in Conan.

Peace,TWS

yutyeesam
08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Here's a fansite for Mako (not updated since 2001), that lists stuff he's been in, including musicals!!

http://if_i_could_only_fly.tripod.com/makotribute/

A fine Asian American actor who will be missed.