PDA

View Full Version : Paqua and rib pain

Mojo
06-19-2001, 01:04 AM
A question for you paqua guys. I have been practicing single and double palm changes, Cheng style, and when I do the double palm change I often get cramping, painfull sensation in my ribs.
Have any of you felt this, and can you tell me if this is normal or wrong.
Thank you

p.s. I 'learned' the changes from a chinese VCD on paqua.

Braden
06-19-2001, 03:45 AM
Sounds like your intercostals. I've never experienced that doing palm changes. While good bagua practice is sometimes physically demanding, significantly uncomfortable, and tiring in a strange way, I don't think serious, sharp, cramping pain is appropriate.

Can you diagnose for yourself if it is your intercostals hurting? (the muscles between your ribs) They do indeed get a work out in the palm changes.

The Willow Sword
06-19-2001, 08:26 AM
it sounds to me like when you are changing palms and turning/twisting the other direction that you are emphasizing too much with turning/twisting the torso(would explain the soreness in your intercostal muscles) rather than allowing your hips and lower body to turn you and letting the torso follow. do you have any TaiChi training? try to follow the principles that it teaches when moving the center first and letting the rest of the body follow it.
Many respects ,,willow sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.

Mojo
06-19-2001, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys
Yes, they're definitly the intercostals that start to hurt.
Willow Sword
I think your right, that I've been scrunching up my torso while doing this. Tonight I'll try it in more of a 'tai-chi' way.

Waidan
06-20-2001, 01:22 AM
I actually managed to injure myself a few months after starting bagua classes. I was being a bit over-zealous with my single change exercises, and I think I tore an intercostal. The basic effect (which still surfaces now and again) is that my second-to-lowest rib "pops" when stressed. Very annoying, and quite uncomfortable.

Just goes to show ya, quantity won't get you anywhere if quality isn't your primary focus. Live and learn, I suppose :)

In my experience, Willow Sword's advice is right on the money.