PDA

View Full Version : Need some legal advice (US and HK travel laws)

Eddie
07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Need some legal advice (US and HK travel laws)

I called the US Consulate, but waiting for a reply. I thought maybe someone here knows. Next Saturday Im flying to HK and then a week later of to USA. My problem is, I have to take pills for constant migraines. The pills I take, is not preventative, and as such cant be classified as chronic medicine in the same way as say, anti depressants. Anyways, I have to take this ****tail of which the main ingredient is ‘ergotomine’ (not sure about the spelling). I went to the USA about 10 years ago, and took it with, but the circumstances were different. I recently watched a movie called Terminal, with Tom Hanks, and it made me worry a nit about US airports.

Anyone know the laws surrounding taking medicine into the usa? Last thing I want, is to be locked up in jail, or even worst, be stuck at JFK airport for 6months (but that hopefully only happens in the movies).

I also heard some grim stories about how people are deported in the USA for all sorts of weird reasons. Recently an electro industrial act from Europe called Grendel, got to the USA via Canada, and were denied entry, because the guy had a ‘suicide commando’ (an electro band from Belgium) cd in his bag. Apparently the Immigration Officials saw it as some indication that the guy supported terror in some weird way… Makes you just worry.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and the same applies to HK.

David Jamieson
07-31-2006, 09:30 AM

I called the US Consulate, but waiting for a reply. I thought maybe someone here knows. Next Saturday Im flying to HK and then a week later of to USA. My problem is, I have to take pills for constant migraines. The pills I take, is not preventative, and as such cant be classified as chronic medicine in the same way as say, anti depressants. Anyways, I have to take this ****tail of which the main ingredient is ‘ergotomine’ (not sure about the spelling). I went to the USA about 10 years ago, and took it with, but the circumstances were different. I recently watched a movie called Terminal, with Tom Hanks, and it made me worry a nit about US airports.

Anyone know the laws surrounding taking medicine into the usa? Last thing I want, is to be locked up in jail, or even worst, be stuck at JFK airport for 6months (but that hopefully only happens in the movies).

I also heard some grim stories about how people are deported in the USA for all sorts of weird reasons. Recently an electro industrial act from Europe called Grendel, got to the USA via Canada, and were denied entry, because the guy had a ‘suicide commando’ (an electro band from Belgium) cd in his bag. Apparently the Immigration Officials saw it as some indication that the guy supported terror in some weird way… Makes you just worry.

Thanks in advance.

I think one of the bigger problems is that the INS/us customs hire minimum wage workers who would have trouble helping you find aisle three in a walmart and make them frontline security workers in airports. hence all the crazy stories.

ill trained, poorly educated run of the mill workers make for bad security.
the implementation will take time to correct.

I would otherwise advise you to call the embassy or consulate directly in your area and ask the direct question. Going to the USA is a huge hassle these days. I myself am giving it a pass until they get monkeyboy out of office and somehow normalize their state of being.

SPJ
07-31-2006, 09:41 AM
I heard that everyone coming in needs to have fingerprints done.

No pocket knife or nail clippers or matches etc.

Other than that, just follow the paper works as required as pointed out.

:)

David Jamieson
07-31-2006, 09:49 AM
yep, i understand there is going to be a move towards collecting bio data (fingerprints to start but who knows what the next step is, retinal scanner, dna...)

Frankly, I'm surprised they keep coming up with all these new ways as opposed to figuring out how to adequtely aggregate data that already exists.

The failure to be able to aggregate data indicates that any system they install as brand new will also eventually fail.

I think the US tourism is going to have real problems and likely has had real problems since the Bush Administration started taking all these actions.

I mean, what are they gonna do with a one time visitor from australias fingerprints anyway? lol.

Shaolinlueb
07-31-2006, 09:59 AM
if its a narcotic, get the doctors note and such.

if its weeed, crack, cocaine swallow it.

other then that dont worry.

Asia
07-31-2006, 10:15 AM

Thanks in advance.

Wait for the consulate. I travel quite a bit and ususally don't have much issue with medication as long as you have the proper paperwork and the medication is not outlawed in the country you're going to. Some things ate are legal overseas are not in the US, thats why I say wait for the consulate. I don't know what ergotomine is classifided as but if its a legal prescribtion drug and its not banned then you will be fine.

neilhytholt
07-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Good, stay out of the U.S.! Too many foreigners coming over here messing everything up.

A ton of people come here on legal visas and then wind up staying illegally, which is a huge problem.

So just stay away! Yes, it's possible that they'll take your medicine or even arrest you (look what happened to Rush Limbaugh and he's even a U.S. citizen).

So just stay away! LOL

David Jamieson
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Good, stay out of the U.S.! Too many foreigners coming over here messing everything up.

A ton of people come here on legal visas and then wind up staying illegally, which is a huge problem.

So just stay away! Yes, it's possible that they'll take your medicine or even arrest you (look what happened to Rush Limbaugh and he's even a U.S. citizen).

So just stay away! LOL

uh, the USA is comprised of foreigners. It's a mish mash of foreigners all living together in a new ground. lol same with canada, mexico and anywhere else that sprang out of the imperialism of Britain, France, Portugal and Spain (with a little bit of germany in places like africa)

Asia
07-31-2006, 11:04 AM
**** foreigners. I keep trying to deport my wife but she just won't leave.:D (thats a joke pple)

The funny thing is I'm a naturalized citizen but my wife has lived in the US much longer than I have.

neilhytholt
07-31-2006, 11:08 AM
uh, the USA is comprised of foreigners. It's a mish mash of foreigners all living together in a new ground. lol same with canada, mexico and anywhere else that sprang out of the imperialism of Britain, France, Portugal and Spain (with a little bit of germany in places like africa)

Yeah but there are too many new foreigners. I mean, you can argue native Americans were foreigners too ...

Honestly I think it's a good thing foreigners are getting hassled now. Like an Indian guy at work went home for a funeral and it took him 2 months to get back into the country because they had some extra security around getting the visa and wanted more documentation...

But the fewer people that get in, the fewer terrorists get in, so stay home in your own freaking country for a while. LOL

Eddie
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I have no intention to stay over. I have a wife and kid, house and bond, few businesses, and loads of other responsibilities down here, so I have to come back.

I got an American visa in 2004 that is valid until 2014. It was a big mission to get it, and usually they don’t issue 10year visas.

I have heard some very nasty stories, so its pretty scary. Hope I wont have any problems to get in.

Thanks for the advice. If I know I wont have a problem to get medicine like that in the US, I wont have to take it in. But sadly, when I get a migraine attack, you cant simply leave it and wait till its over. Then again, Im sure I might even find some better medicine up there. I mean, we are talking about one of the worlds super powers here.

I was hoping to smuggle some gifts in for friends. Basic Native African stuff that’s unique to this part of the world. So hopefully I wont have much of an issue with that.

For some reason Im more worried about USA than about China.

I wont be much of a gain to the tourism industry either, my currency is not worth much up there in any case, and I don’t hope to spend too much money. :cool:

neilhytholt
07-31-2006, 12:00 PM
I was hoping to smuggle some gifts in for friends. Basic Native African stuff that’s unique to this part of the world. So hopefully I wont have much of an issue with that.

No, the Native Americans have been exploited beyond reason. It's highly doubtful anybody will notice. Why would you have to smuggle? Just say they're gifts.

For some reason Im more worried about USA than about China.

That's because bribing is way more complicated in the U.S.A. than China. In the U.S. a lot of people were raised Catholic and have these things called 'morals' and sometimes get guilty about accepting bribes, so bribing is a tricky business.

Please realize I'm just giving you a hard time about not coming and don't mean it totally seriously. 1/2 serious because of the terrorist threat, but not totally seriously.

Eddie
07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
no worries. I dont make a good terrorist either. And I wont ever make a good suicide bomber.

when I said smuggle gifts in, it was more in jess than anything else (just now someone here works for us customs).
:cool:

neilhytholt
07-31-2006, 12:12 PM
You know, I put American in that last post instead of African ... LOL

Somebody else suggested something to me which is to mail your medicine ahead of you to somebody you know in the States. Supposedly most packages they don't open, so maybe that would be an option as well.

Eddie
07-31-2006, 11:45 PM
great idea. I'll see if I can do it today.

neilhytholt
08-01-2006, 12:07 AM
great idea. I'll see if I can do it today.

On second thought, that might be a bad idea.

http://www.peoplesguide.com/mexico/about/david_eidell/buying_mailing_part2.shtml

I talked to somebody who did this from Europe, but evidently if you get caught by the DEA you could be in trouble.

Asia
08-01-2006, 03:06 AM
On second thought, that might be a bad idea.

http://www.peoplesguide.com/mexico/about/david_eidell/buying_mailing_part2.shtml

I talked to somebody who did this from Europe, but evidently if you get caught by the DEA you could be in trouble.

Thank god you caught that because I was going to discourage the idea.