PDA

View Full Version : China clubs 50000 dogs to death because 3 people got rabies

Hieronim
08-02-2006, 03:42 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

"Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported."

China probably consumes that many dogs a year, anyway. They slaughter them in rather brutal ways, too. They think that if the dog dies in a violent manner, it's adrenaline will be pumping like mad, which when eaten will make little Chinese ****s harder. I've heard about the tiger *****, they make wine out of it too. Ground stag horn, too.
Deviant little *****es.

The Willow Sword
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
well this is just lovely. you know i never thought that the chinese culture was the most perfect and harmonious culture on the planet. yeah they got martial arts and taoism and all these really cool things for the good of humanity, mind body harmonization:rolleyes:

You would think that all this wisdom and knowledge woudl transfer over to more common sense methods of dealing with rabies:rolleyes:

oh yeah they eat cats as well,, how charming:confused:

TWS

Starchaser107
08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
What makes eating a Cow a Chicken or a Pig, different from eating a DOg or a Cat,
They're all animals. Unless you're a vegetarian the consumption of animals is not a strange or deviant thing.
What's bad is the brutality. But that's based on my prejudices as well.

The Willow Sword
08-02-2006, 11:51 AM
You KNOW as well as I do that this country domesticates Dogs and cats. Albeit that there is a level of animal abuse in this country with respect to dogs and cats , we STILL have fond relationships with these animal species, and instead of brutally BEATING dogs to death to deal with a rabies problem we use more humane and scientific methods.

Canines stand with humanity and serve us and we are stewards of them. get that through your head starchaser.

yes we eat cows and chickens and pigs and fish. there is a natural order and cycle of life that is consumed so that all things in this life are sustained, even in the plant kingdom.

oh and this country does not eat cats or dogs. you know why the chinese culture eat cats? well another defect of the mindset of that culture is that they seem to think they they get some sort of extra vitality by eating a cat. Just like they feel like they get an extra sense of vitality and nourishment from consuming tiger pen!s and bear gall bladders:rolleyes: it is STUPID and has no basis on any sound and rational scientific OR nutritional basis.
oh and before you start playing the TWS is a racist card, keep in mind that i think that all races of the planet who engage in such frivolity, even my own, are worthless. its not the race i look at but the mindset of the culture.

TWS

Starchaser107
08-02-2006, 03:06 PM
My friend, Anything can be domesticated. And I do understand in the West people tend to make pets of certain animals and frown on the consumption of them. I live in the west and I've never ate a dog or a cat, not to my knowlege anyway. If a big domesticated dog were hungry enough do not be mistaken it will attempt to eat you. Human beings are omniverous, and meat is meat. I was not about to call you any names Willow Sword. I was simply stating my opinion, that the brutality of clubbing dogs to death was disturbing. You may be American, but you live in the world, so think globally. Some animals are revered and worshipped in one country and eaten in others. If I eat animals I think it would be hypocritical for me to condemn other people for doing the same, regardless of the reason, for verility or for basic sustainance, even if the animal they eat is of a different species than what I am accustomed to eating. May I also remind you that while your views are probably reflective of a very large demographic, you do not speak for everyone in your country. There are Americans who do not share your point of view, playing that card proves nothing.
I'm truly sorry for the domesticated dogs and thier "owners". China and "rights" are not usually synonymous.
Brutality and Palette are two different things though.

Chief Fox
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
My friend has a pet pig. It's named "Sprog". Last night I had pork chops for dinner. :eek:

Ben Gash
08-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Pigs are typically more intelligent than dogs as well ;)
Eating dogs I can kind of understand, but cats have little nutritional value AND are highly intelligent.
My real problem with Chinese meat consumption though is their abysmal animal welfare practices. Throw a lobster into boiling water and it dies instantly. Throw a cat in and it takes at least a minute :(

Shaolinlueb
08-03-2006, 10:01 AM
having loving dogs I am appauled by china's display at this. but then again its china i cant really be disapointed at anything.

i wish they had regular vets over there for vacinating their animals. they said only 3% get vacinated.

but as from experience when i was over there. dog tastes good. :D

ZhuiQuan
08-04-2006, 10:09 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

"Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported."

China probably consumes that many dogs a year, anyway. They slaughter them in rather brutal ways, too. They think that if the dog dies in a violent manner, it's adrenaline will be pumping like mad, which when eaten will make little Chinese ****s harder. I've heard about the tiger *****, they make wine out of it too. Ground stag horn, too.
Deviant little *****es.

Just like any other country, it's not like everyone in China agrees with what their government does. I personally disagree with it completely. And don't forget how the government has delt with overpopulation.

And if brutality (towards animals) is the problem, how do you think we get white (bob) veal? Veal in general is acquired in an incredibly inhumane way. Actually, most animals are slaughtered or basically tortured in terrible ways for human consumption. Chickens are crammed in little cubbies with a food tray in front of their face so they can just eat and lay eggs. And of course, there are slaughterhouses where the workers kill cows and pigs in a violent matter as well. It's just the way it is.

BUT of course, not ALL farms are like this. There are some farms that do things to Humane Society standards.

Cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, deer, bear, dogs, fox, minks, ostrich... they're all animals. Some are killed for food, some for fur, some for no reason besides sport, all in a time where it is no longer a necessity. What's taboo is in the eyes of the beholder.

shabinko
08-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Cruel *******s. Primitive method isn't it.

David Jamieson
08-13-2006, 10:07 AM
:rolleyes:

the humane society kills over a million dogs a year in the US alone.

Are they better only because you don't know about it?

pssshhhaaww.

Listen, I'm not down with beating a dog to death in the street of front of its owner and I also think the call was made by some low level official which the country of china is rife with due to it's huge and clunky bureacracy, but this kind of story is just sensationalist schlock. On any level.

CaptinPickAxe
08-13-2006, 10:51 AM
TWS, we ate dogs all through out the Civil war. It's basically this: When you're hungry, you'll eat anything...even Rex or Kitty.

I agree with SC107. The main thing here is brutality. Yes, the Human Society Euthenizes a million dogs a year, but they do it in a much more human fashion than beating the dog to death. I don't agree with killing them off, but population control is sadly a U.S. standard.

It's sad, but to think that ignorance doesn't exsist globally is twice as ignorant as what happened in China. The Chinese aren't a superior race, TWS. Nobody is superior as we are all retards in our own right.

CaptinPickAxe
08-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Pigs are typically more intelligent than dogs as well ;)
Eating dogs I can kind of understand, but cats have little nutritional value AND are highly intelligent.
My real problem with Chinese meat consumption though is their abysmal animal welfare practices. Throw a lobster into boiling water and it dies instantly. Throw a cat in and it takes at least a minute :(

Did you know it takes a domestic pig one week to become a feral boar? It's strange. I was watching a special on "Hogzilla" on NGC and they basicallly said that when a pig escapes, it takes one week to grow coarse hair, grow tusks, and become extremely hostile. Very interesting.

FuXnDajenariht
08-13-2006, 01:03 PM
thats cool as ****. the pig is releasing the beast i suppose. were-pig?

i hafta look that up.

omarthefish
08-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Deviant little *****es.

The ignorance in this is staggering. I guess people will believe what they want to. First go reread Davies post but then.....you just made up so much dumb **** in that post I'm only glad it's not longer because just with this little bit, I don't know where to start so in the order of your post:

They think that if the dog dies in a violent manner, it's adrenaline will be pumping like mad, which when eaten will make little Chinese ****s harder.

What nutjob piece of "yellow scare" propoganda did you get that out of? While it's true that dogmeat is believed to have specific "medical" properties, that is not one of them. Dog meat keeps you warm. It's eaten mainly in winter because after a meal of dogmeat, even though it's snowing out, you will be warm and toasty.

The killing methods are no more brutal than what you see in western slaughterhouses, arguably less so. No one is going to give a lethal injection to it's food. The stuff about the adrenyline is just drivel.

I've heard about the tiger *****, they make wine out of it too.

And why exactly is this relevant to the story? Mainly though, NO they used to use the tiger bones not the ******. DEER's ****** is commonly seen soaking in a bottle of high proofe though. Tiger parts are not really available these days. Back in the days when tigers were still killing people, yeah, they had no problem eating it when the people won.

Ground stag horn, too.

Mostly they don't grind it up. They cut off the tips of deer raised on farms for just that pupose. I am not sure how this affects the deer but deer are hardly an endangered species or anything. I think beyong the fact that they are raised in captivity, not terribly cruel.

But here's the really dumb part about your entire reaction, trying to get people worked up about "deviant little ****s" and all that:

1. The dogs were clubbed to death because that's all they could afford.
2. Dogs that are eaten are "meat dogs". They have a specific species of dog that is raised on dog farms just like we raise cattle or chicken. No one was going to actually eat the pet dogs which are generally yappy little things that wouldn't feed an 8 year old.

monkeyfoot
08-14-2006, 05:36 AM
I never get why the west are so against eating dogs and cats. Its just an animal in the end of the day, as long as it is slaughtered in a humane way, it doesnt really matter.

When I was in the street markets in Kaifeng or Wuling it was probs one of the best things to eat, bit of hot spice on the top, gorrrrr nothing quite like it.

Bangkok market is pretty crazy too, aligators and crocs for sale.

craig

BM2
08-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Do the French eat horse? Of course!
When I was in China I noticed that no one was eating the beef stew. Man it was good. Afterwards I asked why didn't someone try it. Then I was asked " How many cows have you seen since we have been here?" :o

SPJ
08-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Cows are sacred in India. They are allowed to run free. Sometimes, they have temples for rats and a fountain of milk to feed them.

In the country side of China, cows and horses work to plow the land and move a cart. Farmers respected them. In Taiwan, if you are a farmer, you will not eat beef. If you are a buddist, you will not eat any meat at all.

If there is an outbreak of rabies, yes, the dogs will be isolated, quarantined or humanely "destroyed".

How many cows were destroyed when there was the mad cow disease?

How many cows were cornered/rounded up and buried deep when there was the anthrax?

How may rats were caught and "destroyed" in any urban city if there is the "plaque" of some sort?

How many insects were destroyed by spraying chemicals, so that they will not eat fruits and veggie that grown on the farm?

The ultimate question is always that what is the "justified" cause for taking lives of other species?

:eek:

SPJ
08-14-2006, 07:43 AM
If there is an outbreak of rabies, dogs, bats, racoons, horses, and many other wild life will be effected and of course people.

What would you do if it happens in your city?

:confused:

monkeyfoot
08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
yea tottally

worst things happen at sea

craig

_William_
08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Pigs have been measured to have the intelligence of a small toddler. All you guys screaming about how ignorant the chinese are to eat animals like dog and cat are you gonna stop eating your side of roast pork now?

Or are you a bunch of ethnocentric hypocrites?

lunghushan
08-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Every animal is just meat when it is dead. It is up to your value system to decide for yourself what should be killed and what should not be killed.

Yung Apprentice
08-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Whats the difference between the two? The biggest reason is that dogs, and cats eat meat, and for the most part here in the U.S. the animals killed are those that are herbivores or those that eat insects.

I think there is a difference in taste, I heard animals that are carnivores or omnivores don't taste as good. I don't know, I've tried gator and found it to be good.

omarthefish
08-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Actually, the real difference is the many thousands of years of co-evolution between dogs and man.

Dog's only exist as a species because we bred them to be companions. Dogs as meat came later.

shrub
08-27-2006, 08:39 AM
set your standard of morality right.

Anthony
08-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I guess I'll jump in on this one.

I remember years ago there was a doc. on HBO about cruel treatment of animals by people throught the world. It was really gruesome. I remember cat's being skinned and boiled alive in China gagging in the hot water.

In Spain, on Saint's days, it was shown how they commonly throw livestock (goats) off of buildings to their deaths (how this commemorates the life of a saint, I don't know). How the crowd can cheer this without being sick I don't know either.

On the net, I did read that in Korea they hang dogs up by the neck and cut pieces of skin and meat off them to cook (while the dog is howling in pain). The whole "adrenalilne" story above I have also heard before (I think on a Peta website).

I'm sure other countries (including my own) are just as cruel. My point is not to criticize any particular country. My personal problem is not with consumption of any animal for food (That's just a part of nature....everything living eats something that was once alive). My problem is lack of human compassion in any culture. It doesn't matter whether it's a dog, or dolphin, or chicken.

If youre going to eat something, why not kill it humanely or at least quickly. As human beings we have empathy (regardless of culture). I don't get how some humans can be devoid of that trait when it comes to torturing another living thing (human or animal).

As a side note, of course we cant expect much in a world where people are cruel enough to each other. But, this is not about priorities, we are discussing treatment of animals on this thread. It's an issue involving treatment of all life. I think that if youre going to respect and value the life of an animal (even if it will be used for food) you will probably do the same to your fellow man.

And yes, I get the point of certain emergency situations such as the plague where the carrier has to be wiped out.....that's understandable. So, to me, yes there are justified causes. I guess that has to be determined case by case.

Another side note, several serial killers started out as children who enjoyed torturing animals. I think that treatment of animals and people are not seperate, they go hand in hand. The key quality is empathy. If you have it, you don't discriminate. If I feel sorry for a human in pain, I'll feel sorry for an animal in pain as well.

That's just me. If you think differently that's fine. Everyone has their own take on the situation and I'm not trying to present a definitive point of view, just mine. I'm sure it's not flawless. It's just for the sake of discussion.

GeneChing
09-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Jackie Chan backs call for end to Chinese dog slaughter (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/09/01/story274850.html)
01/09/2006

Hong Kong action hero Jackie Chan has thrown his support behind an animal rights group that is campaigning for China to find alternatives to the mass slaughter of dogs to control rabies outbreaks.

Chan, famed internationally for his roles in the Rush Hour movies, signed a card for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) to be auctioned on eBay as a fundraiser for the group’s Asia-Pacific humane rabies control campaign.

“Of course it is our duty as human beings to love and respect each other. But that obligation extends to our animal friends as well,” says the heart-shaped card, signed, “Love, Jackie Chan.”

Chan, who recently acquired a pair of golden retriever puppies, is a long-term supporter of Peta.

The group is leading a drive to end dog slaughters that have drawn strong condemnation abroad and unusually critical remarks from China’s official media.

Tens of thousands of dogs have been killed – most of them clubbed to death - this year in areas where people have died of rabies, a growing problem especially in the countryside.

Authorities defend the practice as the only way to control such outbreaks, but critics say it’s just a stopgap measure that underscores deficiencies in the public health care system.

After the slaughters were reported, Peta announced it was cancelling all orders of merchandise from China.

The group, which has in recent years led a drive against the wearing of fur in China, is working with the Chinese government to improve rabies vaccinations and treatment, expand sterilisation and the use of humane euthanasia and better public education on rabies.

“With Jackie’s help, we hope to make dog culling a thing of the past,” Peta’s Asia Pacific director Jason Baker was quoted as saying in a news release. “Humane rabies prevention programs not only save dogs’ lives, they also save human lives.”

The Humane Society of the United States has also said it will give China £50,000 (€74,000) to vaccinate dogs against rabies if it promises to immediately stop such killings.

lunghushan
09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
It's pretty sickening how humans treat animals, plants, etc., on this planet.

There was this terrible show on T.V. the other day about how they kill pigs in pig farms. I checked with my brother and it is all true. (They use these bolt guns).

I'm swearing off pigs from now on. And I'll never eat dog. (Although dogs are kindof stupid). Bottom line is you wouldn't kill a 3 year old human with a bolt gun, and you wouldn't club a 3 year old human to death, right?

So why hurt poor animals?

Shaolinlueb
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
they need to get more vets and more rabie shots standard like in the usa.

plus dog tastes good. i know from exp in china :eek: :D

unkokusai
09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Bottom line is you wouldn't kill a 3 year old human with a bolt gun, and you wouldn't club a 3 year old human to death, right?

So why hurt poor animals?

Well, I would hope that you wouldn't eat a three year-old human no matter how it was prepared!:eek:

lunghushan
09-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, I would hope that you wouldn't eat a three year-old human no matter how it was prepared!:eek:

How do you decide what to eat and what not to eat? Is it just because it's human or not? Or do you measure by intelligence?

Dogs and pigs are about the intelligence of a 2-3 year old human. Scientists say Dolphins (mammal) are probably just as or more intelligent. So if you wouldn't eat a person, then why would you eat a dog or a pig? Or a dolphin?

If we were to travel to another planet, do we eat anything that isn't human? Even they can communicate with each other? Or do we decide by something else?

Anyways, whatever. While I don't condone China's decision, who am I to say? They eat pretty much any animals except humans in China. Human placenta is even eaten.

unkokusai
09-07-2006, 05:44 PM
How do you decide what to eat and what not to eat? Is it just because it's human or not? Or do you measure by intelligence?

Dogs and pigs are about the intelligence of a 2-3 year old human. Scientists say Dolphins (mammal) are probably just as or more intelligent. So if you wouldn't eat a person, then why would you eat a dog or a pig? Or a dolphin?

Well, at least we know you are safe to eat!:rolleyes:

lunghushan
09-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Well, at least we know you are safe to eat!:rolleyes:

Is it possible to have an intelligent conversation with any of you?

unkokusai
09-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Is it possible to have an intelligent conversation with any of you?

Not if you are involved, pig-boy.

latta
09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Funny how lots of people will "eat up" anything with respect to Chinese martial arts, but, when it comes to other aspects of Chinese culture, we Americans are on the moral "high road". I'm sure the Chinese would gladly sell all of their extra dogs at a very good price, maybe $1 each, to the humane people out there who will take them off their hands, as opposed to simply crying "wolf" and pointing fingers to line their "humane association" coffers. Or maybe all the humane types would like to make a collection to neuter the Chinese animals to help curb the population. Fat chance. Money talks and BS walks, folks. When the US economy was similar to that of China in the old days, we did much, much worse to animals over here. The US Forest Service single-handedly wiped out the Mexican wolf. Buffalo, alligators, the Carolina parakeet, the passenger pigeon, and many others wiped out or nearly so, and not even in the name of public health. Want to kill a coyote by any means possible? Perfectly legal most anywhere right now. Presently, our "holier-than-thou" saviors of humanity and everything else are in the process of trying to wipe out the "bull breeds" of dogs. I have read of one city which wants to ban all pets entirely, thereby making the world safe (for them at least). Obviously few people on this thread have had the experience of not getting enough protein in their diet for years on end, or knowing someone who died of rabies, the plague, or some other lethal communicable disease. And who among us can say one way of being killed is better than another way? Noone has come back yet discuss the relative merits of "humane euthanization" versus a conk on the head. America needs to get its head out of its own a**hole. People who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones.

unkokusai
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
So, you're defending the practice of ripping beloved family pets out of the arms of children out for their morning walk and bashing their brains open on the street right in front of them?

GeneChing
09-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Let's not get in a flame war about puppies. Puppies are soooo cute. Let's get back OT with Jackie Chan and his cute puppies (http://www.jackiechan.com/photos_view?cid=384).

unkokusai
09-14-2006, 02:48 PM
'Ol Jackie is starting to look like a Shar Pei himself!