PDA

View Full Version : do other styles practice horse stance

BruceSteveRoy
08-02-2006, 05:26 AM
the 1st cma school i went to did extensive stance work and my new school does 3 minutes of horse, and bow and arrow each class. so it seems that it is an integral part of cma but what i was wondering is, is it common in JMA or KMA schools to do lots of stance work? i was watching final fu again last night and they are all karate and tkd ppl (for the most part) and they had to hold horse stance for the challenge and they all sucked really bad. but hey it was good for a laugh. ok let me know. thanks.
regards
~steve

Oso
08-02-2006, 05:31 AM
no, just the ancient and venerable art of kung fu.

that's the secret to why we're so deadly, dontcha know?

Yours in Ma Bu.

:)

n00854180t
08-02-2006, 09:43 AM
My ex-wife had been doing karate (Red Dragon) for a while when she was younger. According to her, they all had to do long periods of stance work.

It was **** funny though. I haven't been able to do any training yet (soon :D) because of work/distance issues for a few years. I can still do a good horse stance with weights for as long as those mooks.

neilhytholt
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Most karate doesn't seem to do a lot of holding stances while doing nothing.

In Shotokan they used to hold a horse stance (medium) while doing punching drills.

I had some friends from that class who were kindof nutso and would get together to do an hour of low horse. I attended that a few times.

David Jamieson
08-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Virtually all traditional asian martial arts include stance practice which has some variation of a horse riding stance in it.

stance is important, it's your base. a wider base is a more stable base, that's physics, to maximize the muscles use in a wide base make them stronger in a mobile adaptation of same.

Fu-Pow
08-02-2006, 03:23 PM
a wider base is a more stable base, .

Not necessarily.

David Jamieson
08-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Not necessarily.

care to elaborate?

Water Dragon
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
care to elaborate?

Depends on the use. I train Judo and did Shuai Chiao for the longest. A wide horse would get me killed. When I think of Ma Bu, I think of training hip throws. Our horse was hip with (not even shoulder. We even did a version with our feet together.) and thighs parallel. It looked like you were sitting in a chair. I honestly can't even think of use for a wide Horse Stance. Not saying it doesn't exist, it ust doesn't seem a practical posture to me.

David Jamieson
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
i gotta say, ive never used one in any sort of sparring or combatives. I think it's a mistake to try and be "textbook" with training methods as opposed to the reality of what rolls off those methods.

for instance, some of us lift. who has ever used the motions used in lifting in a combative app? on the other hand, who has benefitted from teh strength derived from teh method of lifting?

it's a method, not an app.

neilhytholt
08-02-2006, 05:18 PM
i gotta say, ive never used one in any sort of sparring or combatives. I think it's a mistake to try and be "textbook" with training methods as opposed to the reality of what rolls off those methods.

for instance, some of us lift. who has ever used the motions used in lifting in a combative app? on the other hand, who has benefitted from teh strength derived from teh method of lifting?

it's a method, not an app.

I can't believe you people seem so ignorant of this very basic thing.

I would try to explain why ma bu but of course I guess you'd never believe me. Oh, well.

Shaolinlueb
08-02-2006, 05:20 PM
dont forget

there is a difference between training horse stance and application horse stance.

training horse stance is low and thighs parallel to the ground to build strong legs. only time will make it stable.

application wise it higher but still have a good base and more strength from all your low stance training.

David Jamieson
08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I can't believe you people seem so ignorant of this very basic thing.

I would try to explain why ma bu but of course I guess you'd never believe me. Oh, well.

no, no, no, please explain. It's a public forum and you can make relevant staements to the topic. I would read what you got.

Fu-Pow
08-03-2006, 11:47 AM
care to elaborate?

Root is more like the base of one of those blow up punch dolls then something structural like a bridge where a a wide base=better stability. Its how well you can maintain sinking your weight into the ground.

David Jamieson
08-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Root is more like the base of one of those blow up punch dolls then something structural like a bridge where a a wide base=better stability. Its how well you can maintain sinking your weight into the ground.

agreed, but i wasn't talking about root. I was talking about stability physics in relation to stance. Good root can come from any stance. One can have a great horse stance and be stable and still not have root.

I'm guessing you may know that though. :p
Push someone in horse who has developed sinking/root what have you.
Push someone in horse who doesn't have that worked out yet. Still takes effort, but the developed root person will be much harder to move.

The Xia
08-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Ma Bu is great for so many things. In terms of rooting, good Ma Bu training will improve it by leaps and bounds.

Kristoffer
08-03-2006, 02:44 PM
ma pu comes in handy in free throwing.... its not like u stay there for ever

Royal Dragon
08-04-2006, 11:08 AM
I honestly can't even think of use for a wide Horse Stance

Reply]
The Tai Tzu 32 form has a deep horse at about the middle of the form, I have some deacent aps for it. I'd allways wanted to test them in sparing though.

It is a real, "In close" app, where the stepping into the horse is more the app. You really don't use it, you more end up in it as they are knocked off balance from your step.

neilhytholt
08-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Hehehe ... man, have the martial ats gone downhill. LOL

Hey, how about we start a thread on how clueless we all are about applications of bow and arrow stance?

The Xia
08-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Hehehe ... man, have the martial ats gone downhill. LOL

Hey, how about we start a thread on how clueless we all are about applications of bow and arrow stance?
You seem to like popping in, saying we are ignorant and that you know whats what.

neilhytholt
08-04-2006, 11:42 AM
You seem to like popping in, saying we are ignorant and that you know whats what.

No, obviously I'm clueless too as you've all been telling me. :)

Crushing Fist
08-04-2006, 11:53 AM
wow neil...

I'm so old I remember when you used to try to say things instead of just trolling :p

you should threaten to leave the board, that's what you should do.

anyway...

we use Horse Stances extensively for chin-na... keep from being taken down while setting up for a reversal

also good for power delivery

think about the hip rotation

neilhytholt
08-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, I got tired of trying to be sincere on this board and constantly getting called a troll.

So making nothing comments about martial arts and joining the non-MA discussions seems to be more productive.

Reggie1
08-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I would try to explain why ma bu but of course I guess you'd never believe me. I'd actually be interested in hearing more about this.

neilhytholt
08-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd actually be interested in hearing more about this.

After getting constant flak from everybody I won't talk about martial arts anymore.

Maybe I'll join the ranks of the evil sifus and teach only private lessons. LOL