PDA

View Full Version : Variables in Training?

WinterPalm
08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Is there an invariable relation between time spent on this forum (ie post count) and time spent practicing.

Let's say if you train X amount but post Y amount and your skill is at Z. Let's use 1000 posts as a starting point. How many hours does this require? Is this invariable and thus, subtracting from real time spent training? If so, what is the post count required to actually begin to diminish your skill? 3, 4, 6 thousand? If one is beat up on the street or in the ring, does the time spent honing internet skillz reflect the time not spent actually training?
Will Z go forward or backwards if all your time is spent answering the questions of unidentified others?
Can I guess who will be the first to respond based on observation?

:D

The Xia
08-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Alot of posting people do is done during times when training is out of the question....like work hours.

n00854180t
08-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I'm a software developer (well, sort of, I actually do all of the IT work for this company, which is small). After about 9:00-10:00AM, as long as none of the computers are going nuts, I pretty much just cruise forums. Any training would be done after work or on weekends for me.

Chief Fox
08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
One of the great things about this forum is that I can spend A LOT of time reading and discussing something I love to do. All the while, giving off the appearance of actually doing work.

I train at night and on weekends and sometimes at lunch.

Ao Qin
08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
:) Interesting question WP! I've had the same thought...

However, I admit that although I post rarely, I still spend at least a few minutes daily looking for posts on the arts I practice and viewing entertaining posts, etc. So, one could spend hours on the forum and not post (obviously). I am especially drawn to posts of how martial-artists view actual war (mid-east) - very interesting!

Also, the actual "post count" doesn't seem to be accurate - you see people posting numerous times without their post count going up. And what's with the "date joined" piece? According to this, I joined this forum before I was born...
maybe a past life.

Shame on those who post during work hours - that amounts to workplace theft!!!:eek:

David Jamieson
08-02-2006, 05:05 PM
24 hours in a day this thing is on. who trains even 8 hours a day?
no correlation really, some of us type fast, don't visit many other forums and have been a part of this online community for a looooong time.
others haven't, yada yada yada.

this place is way better than reality tv, i'd rather spend my time interacting with others either here or in the real world, my training time is not impeded by being here at all. I get my daily in, post here, eat my meals, hang with my wife, train with others at different times during the week and do many other things.

it's all good and my post count is huge! seeing as I been here since 95 :eek:

I was 5 years old when I joined though...apparently. lol

I remember back in the day when it was me, rogue, stranger, watchman, apowyn, blacktaoist, dave ross, a few others etc etc (sorry if i missed any oldtimers. We talked about Kungfu more often though, ufc was pretty new and we were kinda in shell shock from it.

It's kind of funny to see the same stuff coming up in cycles all the time as n00bs join into the fray.

good times, keep em rolling.