PDA

View Full Version : what does everyone here think about hung gar?

brucelee2
06-21-2001, 07:18 AM
same as topic-

thanks,
gary

WongFeHung
06-21-2001, 11:07 PM
personally, I absolutely love it. Then again, I'm a Hung-Ga guy.

MasterPhil
06-22-2001, 02:46 AM
Same here. I tried many schools and clubs (cma and others) before a taichi friend who had studied hg previously generously offered to correct the goun gee form I had learned from a bad commercial tape. It was my introduction to the most complete system I had seen so far. I mean complete in the sense that it included all the aspects I was looking for in a ma system. Both internal and external strength/health building, beautiful and efficient forms, large variety of hand and foot techniques, and so much more. One can always keep on training and learning more hung gar. But most of all, it's the knowledge that the training is difficult and hard. One can gain much from learning to constantly push himself beyond the limits he thought he had. Of course, hg doesn't have the monopoly on that. It mostly depends on the teacher.
In short, I would not find it difficult to praise hung gar's benefits at length. But I would rather go out and practice it in my yard. ;)
Until Heaven and Earth collides, good health to you!

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

brucelee2
06-22-2001, 05:17 AM
does hung gar have chi gung or nei gung (internal training?) Is it considered damaging or healing to the body- i.e., is it considered a 'young man's art' or one to be practiced through old age.

thanks-

Rory
06-23-2001, 10:31 PM
the form with the chi kung is call iron wire. it is mostly like wei gung training to build external mucsle and jing

WingLamStudent
06-24-2001, 02:34 AM
I have studied Hung Gar for 20 years now and have been a Bagua student for three. I have thought for quite sometime that most Hung Gar students, especially the newer ones, put way too much tension in their practice. Since I have studied Bagua, I have learned more about when to be hard and when to be soft.

-- Mark

wujidude
06-24-2001, 06:51 PM
Excellent point about how one studying art can influence and improve your primary art. Bagua historically seems to have had that effect with the training of a number of its famous practitioners: Cheng Tinghua (shuai jiao), Yin Fu (Lohan Shaolin), Zhang Zhaodong (xingyiquan), etc.