PDA

View Full Version : Any good (and I really mean GOOD) films on other martial arts cultures?

ZhuiQuan
08-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I would like to know if anyone knows of any good Japanese, Thai, Korean, etc. martial arts live-action movies. I've only seen Chinese Kung Fu movies, I'm guessing there has to be some decent depictions of other cultures' martial arts history as well.

jethro
08-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Sword stuff their are thousands of Japansese movies and a ton that are great. But if you are looking for hand to hand I and like old school chinese/taiwanese stuff, then check out The Killing Machine. I am not a huge Sonny Chiba fan(though I do have about 15 of his movies), but Killing Machine is my favorite for the japanese martial arts. YOU DON'T F*** WITH SONNY CHIBA!

Fighter in the Wind was nicely choreographed but I still like chiba's portrayal of Mas Oyama in that trilogy from the same time as Killing Machine. Ahhhhh the cheese.

Ong Bak was good and I have hear nothing but the greatest of things about the fights in Tom Yum Goong.

But all in all, if it is not a sword movie, the fighting is usually Hong Kong style, and it has been that way for a while.

Check out the movie Undaunted Wudang, not one of the best martial arts movies, but very good and it has a much different feel than any other martial arts movie I have seen.

ZhuiQuan
08-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Wow, thanks a lot man. I appreciate it.