PDA

View Full Version : From the past.......

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi folks,

Got some pics and articles from old magazines that you might like.

1. GM Chiu Chuk Kai – this is for you Robert. Got a bunch of pictures/articles about your style featuring forms etc. If you like, I could scan all and send them to you. In return, you send me a crate of Canadian beer hahaha…

2. Hak Fu Mun. Article talks about history and the 10 Animals form of HFM.

3. Iron ruler from Southern Tai Chor. This Sifu is Taiwanese.

4. Chu Gar Praying Mantis.

5. Very interesting Hap Gar article. According to this article, Hap Gar doesn’t do any form only but only 16 techniques in various permutations.

Some articles are clipped because this site allows max 100kb attachment.

Regards.

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 02:46 AM
One more, love this one.

"Shaking Crane" from Taiwan. Hey, I am a Crane guy afterall....:)

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 03:25 AM
And for those of you in Hungga, this article should be interesting read;

- founded by Tiger Boxer Hung Ee Kan and wife Chen Eng Choon, a Crane expert.

- various sets of "Sam Chien" to build body to withstand heavy blows.

- started in Fukien.

Article from a Singapore magazine "Bushido" published in 1973.

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Here’s a style that, I believe, was never introduced in any commercial magazine.

And I don’t think it ever left the Sarawak shores; Shaw Lim Ing Choon or ShaoLin Yong Chun.

According to their 1981 in-house magazine, this style is Fukien and comes directly from Shaolin Damo Kung Fu.

A major part of their principles revolves around Tun, Tu, Fo and Chen; attributes you would normally associate with San Chiems.

Looking at their list of forms, many seem Southern Tai Chor related.

Pic 1 – cover of the magazine.

Pic 2 – Postures from their form “Ing Choon Damo Fist 1st Road”.

Regards.

mantis108
08-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. :) I would also like to thank you for the offer of the article and picture of my style as well. I wonder if these are from the New Martial Hero magazine? I have a collection of them given to me by the late Eric Ishii, who's also a TJPMer at one time. So to be honest, I am more interested in your Crane stuff (but then who wouldn't). :D especially the old manuscripts one because I believe that would provide clues to a lot of the question such as evolution of hand to hand combat in southern China since late Ming to early Qing dynasty.

Canadian beers in general suck. I wouldn't touch them unless it's absolutely necessary. ;) Now microbrewries are exception. But then if you have a prefered brand of Canadian beer just let me know. :) BTW, Canadian Ice Wine is a different story. It's could be think of as liquid gold. :)

Once again thank you for the generous sharing of material and information here. I hope I will be able to reciprocate in kind.

Warm regards

Robert

DRleungjan
08-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Nice stuff Eric,

It just shows you of the diversity of styles that abound within the CMArts, especially in the south. I second Mantis108's motion in giving you thanks for sharing such.

DRleungjan :)

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Robert and all,

Canadian beers suck??? Ooookay, one more reason not to visit hahaha…

Seriously, “New Martial Hero” is one of the many magazines I collected back in the 70s and 80s. There are others; see links.

My prized collection, however, are the in-house magazines published by the hundreds of schools/clubs found all over Singapore & Malaysia in the last 30+ years.

Sadly, only a fraction of these clubs are left today.

This kind of in-house magazines is packed with info like history, lineages and principles of the myriad of styles taught in this region.

I talked about this in WuLin; when Chinese left the mainland, they resettled all over the world. Robert, are you Canadian born?

The majority calls SE Asia home (apart from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao). Go to any part of SE Asia like Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines Malaysia and Singapore and you are very likely to bump into sizeable Chinese population.

Singapore is interesting in this aspect in that the Chinese are the majority race. 70% of the population. We got Chinese from all over mainland here. And along with this, a kaleidoscope of CKF got replanted here.

Many Kung Fu school started out in what we call “Clans Association”. So you got the Fukien Association, Kong Chow, Fuzhou and Fuching Association, Horpor Kek Association etc etc…

Many Sifu also moved on to start their own schools. Unfortunately back in the 60s & 70s, the triads were very active and many of these gangs recruited “fighting hands” from CKF schools.

One of the most notorious was a gang known as “18 Koon Tong” – really blood-thirsty. When these guys fight, they take limbs and lives; anything goes.
“18 Koon Tong” was somewhat related to the Shaolin group in Singapore back in the 70s.

Familiar with “Pai Si” ceremony? Triads’ initiation ceremonies share common rituals and ideas.

Not sure how many of you do this; recite your “pai” poem to identify yourself? A leftover practice from the Ching era I supposed. The Tongs do the same.

And they got one that is almost Shaolin that starts with “I arrive here on a Red Junk………” recited in Fukinese.

All these gangs and CKF alliances created much social problems and the government stepped in to regulate MA activities.

Every school, teacher and member need to be screened and approved. A special “Martial Arts Control Unit” was created within the CID (Criminal Investigation Branch – we take after the British) to look after this operation.

I remember MACU officers visiting and stopping training to spot check and some of them could be real high-handed

All this could have contributed to the waning of enthusiasm in CKF – I am not sure.

Personally I think everything went downhill for TCMAs in Singapore when the “Singapore National Pugilistic Federation” got converted into “National WuShu Association”.

“Singapore National Pugilistic Federation” organized the first ever regional traditional Kung Fu competition in 1969 – “1st South East Asia Pugilistic Tournament” with participants from all over this region including Hong Kong & Taiwan.

That event saw the who’s who of Chinese Martial Forest.

Okay the pics:-

1. New Martial Hero

2. Martial Magazine

3. Kuen Way - one of the few bi-lingual mags from HK.

4. Kung Fu Magazine - like this one because of the in-depth write-ups.

5. Chinese Fist - another good one with beautiful covers.

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Continue from above – every message allows max of 5 attachments – not my fault….

6. A monthly published by “Singapore National Puglistic Federation”.

6a. A page from inside above magazine.

8. A White Crane manual compiled by a joint study group.

9. Real Kung Fu – This was also circulated in the West. I think Evert got some in his collection.

10. Bushido Magazine from Singapore. The top right square shows Sifu Low Koy Tho, handpicked by Late Ven. Sek to be the custodian of Shaolin Monkey Art.
The bottom right square shows my late Shaolin Sifu Chong Beng Joo – a legend in CKF circle around here. Nicknamed the “Iron Fist”, Sifu Chong was a no-nonsense Shaolin Master. A true Lohan expert.

Regards.

Hendrik
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Eric,

Great record keeping!

You must have lots of these old mags collected. To bad there wasnt a scanner decades ago when I was leaving Penang. all my mags sold to the old mags kios.... Now looking back. some sad feeling.....

Peace

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Happen to peep into the "Lama" thread and read the name "Lo Wai Keong".

So ....

Eric Ling
08-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi Hendrik,

"all my mags sold to the old mags kios" - aaaarrrrggghhh what were you thinking?

Penang Laska or Rojak maybe?

Peace my friend.

Regards.

Hendrik
08-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi Hendrik,

"all my mags sold to the old mags kios" - aaaarrrrggghhh what were you thinking?

Penang Laska or Rojak maybe?

Peace my friend.

Regards.

Long time ago there are lots of Indian run old books/magazine kio around Mcalister road or Tiong Lo which is close to Heng Yee elementery school....

so, there we can buy and sell old martial art magazine including buying black belt magazine or electronics magazine such as wireless world or radio electronics..

Cha Kue Teo or Bak Kut Teh were great around that area too. Hahahaha

well

Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and grey
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul
Shadows on the hills
Sketch the trees and daffodils
Catch the breeze and the winter chills
In colours on the snowy linen land ...

Life passed so fast...

are you in Saba/serawak or Singapore lately?

Peace

Eric Ling
08-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Hi Hendrik,

Spending most part of the year in Kuching Sarawak and going back to Singapore every now and then.

Bak Kut Teh – best around KL area.

Char Kuay Tiao – I’ll show you good CKT if ever we meet in Singapore. Fresh c0ckles, Chinese sausages and fish cakes and washing everything down with icy cold Carlsberg; makes you forget Don Mclean …..

TenTigers,

Found 2 articles about Li Gar.

First is Li Gar in Hong Kong. Article talks about Li Pa San being the founder so I supposed must be Cantonese. Interestingly, Li Gar here is described as favoring low stances; not kneeling stance but a low squatting stance.

The other style doing this is probably “Shan Tung San Chao” or “3 Sects of Shan Tung”.

Second article is from Malaysia. A Sifu Chye Kun who taught around the Kuala Lumpur area back in the 70s.

Sifu Chye taught Chye (Choy in Cantonese) Gar, Li Gar and Wu Zhu (5 Ancestors).

According to him, all these are Shaolin arts and no further details were given.

Sifu Chye is Horpor Kek (Hakka).

Regards.

mantis108
08-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Robert and all,

Canadian beers suck??? Ooookay, one more reason not to visit hahaha…

Well, if you like wine, fishing or hunting Canada isn't that bad a place to visit. :)

Seriously, “New Martial Hero” is one of the many magazines I collected back in the 70s and 80s. There are others; see links.

Understood, thanks for sharing.

My prized collection, however, are the in-house magazines published by the hundreds of schools/clubs found all over Singapore & Malaysia in the last 30+ years.

Wow, that must be quite a collection!

Sadly, only a fraction of these clubs are left today.

That's inevidable. We can't expect to ride on the tail coat of pop culture (ie Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, etc) to keep Kung Fu going. This is something I believe that older generation takes for granted.

This kind of in-house magazines is packed with info like history, lineages and principles of the myriad of styles taught in this region.

You know you reminded me of those that Hong Kong Lung Ying association did a long time ago. They were indeed of high quality.

I talked about this in WuLin; when Chinese left the mainland, they resettled all over the world. Robert, are you Canadian born?

I was born in New Terreritories, HK. We live in the same town where the late Chow Fook was. My parents (of landlord and military backgrounds) both came from China.

The majority calls SE Asia home (apart from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao). Go to any part of SE Asia like Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines Malaysia and Singapore and you are very likely to bump into sizeable Chinese population.

I remember during late 70s and early 80s. Sifu Chow Fook used to travelled to Brunei (sp?) and areas near there.

Singapore is interesting in this aspect in that the Chinese are the majority race. 70% of the population. We got Chinese from all over mainland here. And along with this, a kaleidoscope of CKF got replanted here.

This is great because this help preserves some of the traditional arts IMHO.

Many Kung Fu school started out in what we call “Clans Association”. So you got the Fukien Association, Kong Chow, Fuzhou and Fuching Association, Horpor Kek Association etc etc…

Actually, the China town in Vancouver, BC, Canada in the early 80s has the same kind of set up. I used to do Lion Dances for the associations during New Year and such celebrations.

Many Sifu also moved on to start their own schools. Unfortunately back in the 60s & 70s, the triads were very active and many of these gangs recruited “fighting hands” from CKF schools.

Hong Kong used to be the same. The CLF in our town was quite large and used to have "associations" with the triads (or so I was told). Then there was the Wing Chun Kwoon which is kind of expensive. I remember that was a Yong Chun Kwoon, on my route home too but I never dared to check it out. This why it took awhile for my mom to choice Sifu Chow Fook's Kwoon for me. He's the Ho Ho Sin Sang (very good person).

One of the most notorious was a gang known as “18 Koon Tong” – really blood-thirsty. When these guys fight, they take limbs and lives; anything goes.
“18 Koon Tong” was somewhat related to the Shaolin group in Singapore back in the 70s.

Familiar with “Pai Si” ceremony? Triads’ initiation ceremonies share common rituals and ideas.

Not sure how many of you do this; recite your “pai” poem to identify yourself? A leftover practice from the Ching era I supposed. The Tongs do the same.

Well, there usually are 2 Bai Si in HK (Lung Yi at least). First time as a student, you just bring offering, burn inscents, pour tea, etc. You are just generally accepted as a student and learn the general curriculum. Make sure you paid your tuition on time. lol... Then when you learn up to Lung Ying Mor Kiu (about a good 3 years or so) which is the signature form then you will Bai Si properly and becomes a disciple, which includes taking the oath, bowing and pouring tea to Sifu, host a banquet in Sifu's honor, etc. Then you become the indoor disciple and learn the inner "secrets" of the style. The process is not cheap.

And they got one that is almost Shaolin that starts with “I arrive here on a Red Junk………” recited in Fukinese.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info. :)

All these gangs and CKF alliances created much social problems and the government stepped in to regulate MA activities.

Every school, teacher and member need to be screened and approved. A special “Martial Arts Control Unit” was created within the CID (Criminal Investigation Branch – we take after the British) to look after this operation.

I remember MACU officers visiting and stopping training to spot check and some of them could be real high-handed

HK has a similar system. But it's more just for licensing and montoring activities purposes. GM Chiu had a lot of students from police force, fireman, as well as "known" triads members. But we all get along fine if you know what I mean. ;)

All this could have contributed to the waning of enthusiasm in CKF – I am not sure.

That's part of the problem but I think not keeping CKF relevant in people's live and making it viable as a lifestyle is a bigger problem these days.

Personally I think everything went downhill for TCMAs in Singapore when the “Singapore National Pugilistic Federation” got converted into “National WuShu Association”.

Well, don't even get me started on the Wushu BS.:rolleyes:

“Singapore National Pugilistic Federation” organized the first ever regional traditional Kung Fu competition in 1969 – “1st South East Asia Pugilistic Tournament” with participants from all over this region including Hong Kong & Taiwan.

That event saw the who’s who of Chinese Martial Forest.

Yeah, those were the days, those were the days. .. well, it's up to this generation now so...

Warm regards

Robert

Eric Ling
08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi everybody,

Been getting emails and private messages asking for information/pics for specific styles

Well as much as I would like to oblige, please understand that:-

1. I am doing this during free time which is getting lesser. I run a full time landscaping business with garden plants and accessories retailing on the side. Lately some friends are getting me involved in the food business; starting a garden café food court here. This calls for tremendous planning and meetings.

2. My library is in a total absolute mess. I got mags/books lying everywhere. My wife has threatened to use them as recycle paper if I don’t start organizing… Well can’t argue with the wife.

I know I should not be holding back all these materials for my own.

I was talking to Russ Smith, who owns what could be the biggest MA video vault on-line, about putting all my old stuff on-line; probably piggy-backing his current site.

This could take a while but we are going to get it started soon. Just need to figure out the technicalities.

So to those who have written to me for stuff, please be patient. I will deliver – you are the rightful owners of the materials. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Got one more pic here from my old White Crane school in Singapore.

This is a posture from one of our 3 Babulien forms. I do what is commonly known as “old” MingHe in my part of the world. The “old” is to distinguish it from mainland’s which was re-assembled in recent years.

Regards.

Eric Ling
08-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi Robert and all,

2 individual Mantis styles.

Pic 1 – Sun Kik Tong Long. Have not heard about this style for a while….

Pic 2 – Liu He Tang Lang. I am paying quite a bit of attention to this particular style of Mantis lately. Mainly because this style is a fusion of Hsing Yi and Mantis.

Pic 3 – A inside page of this book published in the early 70s in Taiwan. This technique is almost identical to a MingHe technique found in the form "ErshiBa" or "28" In fact, this Liu He form (I've seen it done many years ago) reminds me of my MingHe.

Robert, have you got any old materials of Liu He?

I got a bunch of recent Liu He books and DVDs from mainland and they are really quite worthless for study.

All that unnecessary swirling and twirling – only good if you are planning to join an ah-go-go show band…

Regards.

Firehawk4
08-07-2006, 09:20 AM
That picture of the Li Pa San Li Gar looks like somethings in Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist , such as the stance and the way the hands are positioned . Does the article say anything about the forms of Li Pa Sans Li gar ?
Also do you have any articles or pictures or know anything about this form of Li Gar style that is mentioned in this article it is a Hakka Li Gar the Article is this
History of the Art ( Information Provided by Ben Guai )

The martial arts style Lijiajiao originated in the areas of Wuhua, Mei county of Guangdong. It is believed that a man named Li Tie-Niu created it. During his years of travelling for trades, he got to know a Shaolin Monk of which he learnt Martial arts from. After years of development, he finally created his own form of Lijiajiao. Over generations of teaching and passing of the art, the are practitioners of this style in the areas of Wuhua, Guangdong , Mei county, Korea, Xingning, Shantau, Puuning among others.

In previous years, Master Chau Fei-Xiong taught this style in Kowloon City. It was noticed that the overall fashion of this art was quite similar to the styles of the Dongjiang Hakka martial arts. Routines are short, moves are simple and direct, many repeated actions in training.

Style's Characteristics:

This school of martial arts uses Fengyanquan, Jianzhan ( sword palm ) and Jianzhi ( arrow fingers ) as the main hand forms. In practice, it is split into Ying and Yang forms. This includes attack and defence, deflect and strike. Both wrists do not leave the chest framework, fast in attack and retreat, and stamping to increase the strength. The power demands Baufali( explosiveness ), Jieli ( Intercepting power ), Huali (deflective power ), Jiaoli/Wanli ( wrist power ). Body movements demand Jinjen. It is by nature a style which faces the enemy square on.

Specially: Powerful fist strikes, small stance, stable lower body, shouting to increase power.

Known Routines

Empty hand.: Sanbu-chezhuan, Jieshou, Ezhan, Chibu-titzwu
Weapons : Gun, Duanshangdao, Qijiebian.
Set Sparring : Sanbu-duichai
Robert

mantis108
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Robert and all,

2 individual Mantis styles.

Pic 1 – Sun Kik Tong Long. Have not heard about this style for a while….

This style is rarely known. I think it's pretty much only found in Hong Kong. The history is quite interesting in that it claims of a Daoist priest Yuzhou Daoren (Babu Tanglang line have this priest as well). Whether this is another Jiang Hualong's students' creation is subject to further investigation.

Pic 2 – Liu He Tang Lang. I am paying quite a bit of attention to this particular style of Mantis lately. Mainly because this style is a fusion of Hsing Yi and Mantis.

Well, Liu He Tang Lang is delicate matter. It's different thing to different people and it depends on who you talk to. As I don't study it other than observe it more a little distance, I can only share with you my opinion on it. It is believed that the proper name of the Liu He Tanglang is Liu He Quan Tang Lang Shou. Liu He Tanglangquan is actually a "modern" convention. The style progenitor, Wei San, was a Liu He Quan stylists and he combined Tanglang hands into his Liuhe and got what is known as liuhe Quan Tanglang Shou. What exactly is his Liuhe is yet another issue. Some say it's Shaolin Liuhe (Liuhe Weito Men). Some say it's Xinyi Liuhe which is where Xingyi came from (yet another debate here).

Pic 3 – A inside page of this book published in the early 70s in Taiwan. This technique is almost identical to a MingHe technique found in the form "ErshiBa" or "28" In fact, this Liu He form (I've seen it done many years ago) reminds me of my MingHe.

Robert, have you got any old materials of Liu He?

No, I wish I have. :( BTW, you know that 6 and 28 are both perfect numbers right?

I got a bunch of recent Liu He books and DVDs from mainland and they are really quite worthless for study.

All that unnecessary swirling and twirling – only good if you are planning to join an ah-go-go show band…

Regards.

I hear you. :)

Warm regards

Robert

Eric Ling
08-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi Robert and Firehawk4,

The Li Gar in that article is more likely to be Cantonese than Hakka.

The article mentioned Hong, Lau, Choy, Li and Mok Gar and linking this featured Li Gar. So unless, someone can tell me different, I associate these 5 as Canton-centered arts.

Also Li Pa San, according to popular folklore, was a compatriot of Hong Si Kuan, the acknowledged founder of Hong Gar. Both were lay disciples of Nam Siu Lam caught up with fighting the Ching.

Like I said, the interesting thing is their “low” stance. This is something that you would normally associate with some Fukien styles. Imagine a smaller 4 level horse stance with a lower sink.

I will post this stance taken from “Shantung San Chao” or “3 sects of Shantung” to illustrate.

In most Hakka styles like Pai Mei, Lung Yi and SPM, the “de facto” stance is the “hourglass” or “San Chiem” stance. Done in various manners but more or less maintaining the same intent.

Robert, I am aware that they are splits in the LHTL circle.

Liu He Weito is typical Chang Quan like say, Bei Shaolin. When I was a kid, my dad actually sent me to a Sifu to learn Weito Men. This Sifu, a VERY CANTANKEROUS, Shanghainese was from the “Nanjing Central Wushu Institute”. I called him “Lien Siok” or “Uncle Lien”. He ran a club in Singapore called “Chi Lu” a collective club for Northern styles like Bei Shaolin, 7 Stars PM and Tam Tui Men.

Well, maybe Bei Quan is not my thing because I did not stay long. But I did taste some Weito.

In my limited ways, I really cannot see the Weito in LHTL.

This I do know, mainland is “rewriting” histories of many CKF to regain their status as birthplace of traditional arts.

Especially in cases when the styles are completely terminated there for one reason or another but primarily due to the “cultural revolution”.

Not too long ago, I was having dinner with a group of senior TCMA Masters of various styles here. (hahaha at 47, I am the baby of the group).

One of them, a senior Crane teacher, said this “China is the world biggest counterfeiter of all sort of products. We get Rolex, Gucci, Nike, and you name it fakes from mainland. What makes you think they are not “counterfeiting” TCMA that are no longer in existence there? Now that TCMA is a highly “marketable” commodity, the returns are really very attractive” and since CKF is “Chinese” no one would question authenticity”.

Personally I think this view holds a lot of truth.

I go back to Singapore occasionally and one of my must stops is a bookshop downtown.

Here you find, literally, hundreds of DVDs and books from mainland. I think this shop is mainland Chinese owned.

I usually skip the “Modern Wushu” and head straight to the “Traditional Kung Fu” section.

Frankly, not much difference between the 2.

Like some observations made in the other threads in this forum, mainland “Traditional Kung Fu” is usually “flashy” suggesting intent other than fighting.

Still, I buy them, maybe to support these mainland Masters.

But I usually chuck them aside after one or two viewings.

Like one of my good friends here would say; a lot of forms but very little substance.

Someone in the Wulin forum had this as his signature; “I will not be the generation that kill Chinese Kung Fu”.

My sentiment (like yours maybe) is; Kung Fu must not be all postures. Kung Fu is about fights.

And this is how I was taught and this is how I intent to teach.

Sorry for the rambling; just need to get this off my chest.

Regards.

Eric Ling
08-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Okay, a little time before I go build another garden….

Pic 1: This is the “Shantung San Chiao” or “3 Sects of Shantung” I mentioned earlier. Created by a monk, this style is a combo of Luo Fo Chiao, Shantung Chiao and Tun To Men. These are styles that are really seldom seen. I have only seen Tun To Men once or twice. The other 2; only read about them, no visual. Notice the really low stance shown. STSC is also famed for their palm skills.

Pic 2: Pak Mei in HK in the 70s.

Pic 3: One of my books on Northern Style. We got “Application of Si Yue Hua Quan” here. Imho, this is one style close to LiuHe Weito talked about earlier.

Pic 4 – Robert, this Sifu is from your style of PM? Are you guys related? The elbow technique shown here is something I do all the times in Fuzhou Ancestral Crane. In White Crane, long-limb crane refers to extended hand techniques. Short-limb refers to, more often than not, the elbow.

Pic 5 - Robert, since you’re from NT, I thought you might like this. According to article, NT is a real “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” place.

So which are you? The tiger or the dragon?

More like the Praying Mantis hahahaha….. okay back to work before the wife unleashes the 5 animals onto me. (2 dogs and 3 cats).

kismet
08-08-2006, 03:42 AM
Great stuff eric thanks for sharing these. Any chance you or someone else can give a brief outline or even translation on the Chu Gar article?

I would love to see / get hold of any old southern praying mantis related pictures or footage you have for my site.

Thanks.

Eric Ling
08-08-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi Kismet,

Is that your real name? Noticed that you do Kalarippayyatu in your profile.

Indian any chance? We got a big Kalari Payat organization around the Kuala Lumpur area.

Yes, I do have some Southern Mantis stuff with me but like I said earlier, my collection is in a state of perpetual colossal mess.

Doing something about this, please read my earlier post regarding this.

For now, I got a page off a Chu Gar article from the 70s. Sifu Deng Yi Long talking about the origin of his Chu Gar Tong Long.

Regards.

Ps…I support MU. If you don’t, I am through talking to you…just kidding.:p

kismet
08-08-2006, 05:50 AM
Hi Eric,

No its not my real name but if i have kids one of them is going to be called that ;).

My roots are indian hence my growing interest and like for the southern thekkan style I train. I went to Kerala not long ago and trained out there, great experience and I hope I can go there for a longer period to train and learn more, especially the ayurvedic healing side.

Yea I read the post about the recycling threat, lol! Thanks for the chu gar stuff, I look forward to anything else you share.

What MU?

Eric Ling
08-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Manchester United….ole ole ole….

That’s it, I am really thru’ talking to you.:p :p :p

I will dig out some more pics for you and only because I am totally freaking crazy about Indian food; daal, naan, chepati, roti prata; all perfect accessories for Carlsberg.

Regards.

kismet
08-08-2006, 06:57 AM
lol, you are a proper tchee sin!

i look forward to it all. you da man.

mantis108
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Robert and Firehawk4,

I will post this stance taken from “Shantung San Chao” or “3 sects of Shantung” to illustrate.

will address that in the next reply. Hope you don't mind.

In most Hakka styles like Pai Mei, Lung Yi and SPM, the “de facto” stance is the “hourglass” or “San Chiem” stance. Done in various manners but more or less maintaining the same intent.

Triangle stance (sarm kok ma) is very important in LY & BM. So...

Robert, I am aware that they are splits in the LHTL circle.

Glad you are aware and it will make the discussion easier. :)

Liu He Weito is typical Chang Quan like say, Bei Shaolin. When I was a kid, my dad actually sent me to a Sifu to learn Weito Men. This Sifu, a VERY CANTANKEROUS, Shanghainese was from the “Nanjing Central Wushu Institute”. I called him “Lien Siok” or “Uncle Lien”. He ran a club in Singapore called “Chi Lu” a collective club for Northern styles like Bei Shaolin, 7 Stars PM and Tam Tui Men.

Wow, I would like to see this stuff. As I believe every style's essence really is in the basics training, please share the basics if you don't mind. You might be aware that I believe there are but a few pugilistic traditions in Kung Fu. May be only long fist (Tong Bi-Pigua) and short strikes (Fanzi-Cuo Jiao). Most styles evolved from these including the so called internal styles.

Well, maybe Bei Quan is not my thing because I did not stay long. But I did taste some Weito.

In my limited ways, I really cannot see the Weito in LHTL.

let me taste some of your tea. "Bid me discourse and I shalt enchant thy ears" (Shakespeare).

This I do know, mainland is “rewriting” histories of many CKF to regain their status as birthplace of traditional arts.

Well, there's "rewriting" and as well as "researching". I think we need to challenge, verify, even guestimate, etc... We can not afford to be idle and simply take things with a leap of faith. So... To be honest, my view on the history of Tanglang is very different from my own school. This doesn't mean that I don't respect the story that was told by the GM. It's just that there's more to it than it was told. No tunnel vision that's all.

Especially in cases when the styles are completely terminated there for one reason or another but primarily due to the “cultural revolution”.

Personally, the CR is one of the many things that I can not forgive the Mao's Communists. The other being changing the writing to short hand form, fragmentation by sportification of Chinese martial academia, etc... But what do you expect from primarily grass root and middle class education level people? So... This is practically strangling the soul of the Chinese people. Sorry about the rant.

Not too long ago, I was having dinner with a group of senior TCMA Masters of various styles here. (hahaha at 47, I am the baby of the group).

Really, big brother? lol...

One of them, a senior Crane teacher, said this “China is the world biggest counterfeiter of all sort of products. We get Rolex, Gucci, Nike, and you name it fakes from mainland. What makes you think they are not “counterfeiting” TCMA that are no longer in existence there? Now that TCMA is a highly “marketable” commodity, the returns are really very attractive” and since CKF is “Chinese” no one would question authenticity”.

Well, I happen to have a friend from Beijing who studied Fanziquan under a traditional master. We recognize that we are so much alike in our approach that's enough to encourage me to believe that there is still a healthy root hidden somewhere in the otherwise rotten flower bed. So I hope some day I will get to meet his master in China.

Personally I think this view holds a lot of truth.

It's all about money these days for sure.

I go back to Singapore occasionally and one of my must stops is a bookshop downtown.

Here you find, literally, hundreds of DVDs and books from mainland. I think this shop is mainland Chinese owned.

I usually skip the “Modern Wushu” and head straight to the “Traditional Kung Fu” section.

Frankly, not much difference between the 2.

Like some observations made in the other threads in this forum, mainland “Traditional Kung Fu” is usually “flashy” suggesting intent other than fighting.

I hear you. But like I said this is mainly because CKF "masters" are short sighted and tunnel vision most of the time. This is why we have the problem.

Still, I buy them, maybe to support these mainland Masters.

That's good of you. We martial artist have to stick together otherwise we are nothing but a pan of loose sand.

But I usually chuck them aside after one or two viewings.

To be honest, I don't bother with forms anymore.

Like one of my good friends here would say; a lot of forms but very little substance.

Exactly

Someone in the Wulin forum had this as his signature; “I will not be the generation that kill Chinese Kung Fu”.

Good quote, indeed. :)

My sentiment (like yours maybe) is; Kung Fu must not be all postures. Kung Fu is about fights.

And this is how I was taught and this is how I intent to teach.

Sorry for the rambling; just need to get this off my chest.

I agreed. That's why I have become drill base rather that form base. You want to keep Kung Fu alive, you must train aliveness with a live opponent.

Warm regards

Robert

mantis108
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Okay, a little time before I go build another garden….

Pic 1: This is the “Shantung San Chiao” or “3 Sects of Shantung” I mentioned earlier. Created by a monk, this style is a combo of Luo Fo Chiao, Shantung Chiao and Tun To Men. These are styles that are really seldom seen. I have only seen Tun To Men once or twice. The other 2; only read about them, no visual. Notice the really low stance shown. STSC is also famed for their palm skills.

This is interesting stuff. The stance do look a lot like Ziren Men (natural style) although that's from Szechwan. The article is yet another evidence of grass root cult level martial arts migramtion. The 3 sects properly were spin off groups of a large sect. So... I would think that this stance is more for training the leg strength in conjuction with the form. For actual fighting it won't like that. Just a thought.

Pic 2: Pak Mei in HK in the 70s.

Thanks, Bak Mei was once very popular in the 70s. Now we can see that with the number of students attended. ;)

Pic 3: One of my books on Northern Style. We got “Application of Si Yue Hua Quan” here. Imho, this is one style close to LiuHe Weito talked about earlier.

I look forward to the Liuhe Weito Men stuff. :)

Pic 4 – Robert, this Sifu is from your style of PM? Are you guys related? The elbow technique shown here is something I do all the times in Fuzhou Ancestral Crane. In White Crane, long-limb crane refers to extended hand techniques. Short-limb refers to, more often than not, the elbow.

Yes, this is Kwong Kwan Wei, I meet him while I was training in the HK Kwoon. A very nice and impressive elder. Unfortunately he passed away recently. He had devoted his entire life in promoting CCK TCPM and Kung Fu in general. He's sorely missed.

The elbow is what we called Pan Zhou (coiling elbow smash). Depending on who you talk to there are 12 elbows (Taiji/Meihwa) or 8 elbows (Seven Stars) technique wise. Elbow strikes is one of the 8 shorts of mantis.

Pic 5 - Robert, since you’re from NT, I thought you might like this. According to article, NT is a real “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” place.

So which are you? The tiger or the dragon?[quote]

Thanks, I am most definitely year of the dragon. :D

[quote]More like the Praying Mantis hahahaha….. okay back to work before the wife unleashes the 5 animals onto me. (2 dogs and 3 cats).

Well, in my love life I am the Praying Mantis male, which gets the head bites off by the female of the spiece after mating So... good thing that I learned to regenerate another head and keep seeking for the one that won't bite. LOL...

So far it's a dry spell that turns into a drought. So the search continues. :D

Warm regards

Robert

Firehawk4
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the information Eric . Hey Eric have you ever herd of a White Crane system from Taiwan called Long Limed White Crane i have two books on it from Taiwan ? I also have book that i got from Hong Kong from CS Tang on Fukien White Crane by a Master named Ng Hong who is also has a Ngo Cho Kun book out to. Fukien White Crane is system that i like . Robert Bayne

Firehawk4
08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Recently i found out that there was Hakkas that had settled in these regions in Southwestern Fujian Province in these regions
lists the following counties in western Fujian as “pure Hakka districts”: Ninghua, Changding, Shanghang, Wuping, and Yongding.

Source: Wu Zaiqiao ed. (1947).

Does anybody know what kind of martial arts these Hakka people practiced or still practice ? I think i found a Southern Mantis art that comes from there called Sou Gar Kun Tong Long .
http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:ryP8hYXXAWMJ:mumford.albany.edu/chinanet/shanghai2005/kuohueiying_en.doc+Hakkas+who+settled+in+the+mount ainous+region+of+south+western+Fujian+province+in+ China&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7&ie=UTF-8
http://haohlay.de/PruefungTongLong.htm
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.tao-gs.de/kungfu.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2BSan%2BMao%2BFeng%2BShaolin%2Band%2 Bthe%2BChung%2BPaai%2BShaolin%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26 ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.tao-gs.de/kungfu.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2BSan%2BMao%2BFeng%2BShaolin%2Band%2 Bthe%2BChung%2BPaai%2BShaolin%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26 ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

Firehawk4
08-08-2006, 05:27 PM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://haohlay.de/sgk_historie.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.haohlay.de/sgk_historie.html%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

Eric Ling
08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Robert and all,

Yes Robert, the mountain stream is still flowing.

However, the mountain might shift a little soon. Evert and I had a long conversation last night (Skype. Are you hooked-up, we could talk and you could hear my strange accented English?).

We are planning, together with Russ Smith, to pool all our resource materials; prints and video footages, and offer it to folks who are serious about traditional MAs. I would love to interview and shoot masters in this region and put them on-line; starting to feel like a kid lost in a candy store again hahahaha….

For me, it’s all about schedule. Tough balancing act now with my expanding business, teaching Kung Fu and trying to get things ready for next year’s gathering.

Okay back to business at hand;

Yes, you are right. We are a pan of loose sand and we must stand together. I might not agree with everything that mainland is doing but still they are elders and I respect them as so. My teachers would demand this.

And it’s really all about money. Don’t know about you in Canada but here, over the years, overseas SE Asian Chinese have been supporting mainlanders in many ways. Mainly with direct monetary contributions or channeling investments to the motherland.

My own brother is in Putian Fuzhou. Together with a few partners they operate anything from food joints to factories churning out computer parts like cables, keyboards etc etc… This was in conjunction with a program spearheaded by the Fuzhou Clan Association in Singapore. The Singapore government had also invested tons of money in Suzhou erecting factories, townships and other business institutions.

I’ve got nothing against any of these. Mainlanders are Chinese after all; I might not concur with their politics but still, descendents of the Dragon.

Throughout the 70s and 80s, my White Crane school received many requests to return to mainland to restart the arts. That school was unique because it also functioned as a Fuzhou Clan Association and in the early days of Nanyang, the gathering place of Fuzhou and Fuching Chinese. Among them were Crane, Tiger, Lion, Dog, Tai Chi and other masters. That’s how my training curriculum, besides the mainstream Crane, because a salad of these various styles.

But the school was headed by Crane teachers and many declined the invitation to go back. There were visits but brief; I suppose just to revisit motherland.

Now with mainland more “liberal”, I was asked to join various delegations on TCMA exchanges. But I never did – hear that mainland beers suck too hahahaha…

You are also right that under the dead beds are some roses.

I spoke to Martin Watts’ Sifu recently, Pan Chen Miow, and he impressed me as a very knowledgeable high-level Master.

Pan is a good friend of my Tai Chor Sifu, Teo Choon Teck. We spoke about White Crane and Tai Chor and I even got invited out to his upcoming Yong Chun White Crane family gathering this year end. Now if only someone tells me Yong Chun beer is okay……

Now there you go, a definite rose…..

Regards.:)

Eric Ling
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the information Eric . Hey Eric have you ever herd of a White Crane system from Taiwan called Long Limed White Crane i have two books on it from Taiwan ? I also have book that i got from Hong Kong from CS Tang on Fukien White Crane by a Master named Ng Hong who is also has a Ngo Cho Kun book out to. Fukien White Crane is system that i like . Robert Bayne

Hi Robert,

Taiwan got a bunch of Cranes. Some from mainland and some "Made in Taiwan".

According to a book I got, here are some of their Cranes:-

• TaiZhu Hua He. Must be a TaiZhu and White Crane combination. Not difficult considering how “Crane” Tai Zhu already is.

• Straight or Direct Crane. Absolutely no clue here. I spoke to some friends and drew blanks also.

• Fang Chi Niang White Crane. I got some old materials on this.

• Spiritual Crane or BaiHe Shen Quan. I've seen something like this in West Malaysia back in the 80s.

• Longevity Crane.

• Snake Crane Combination. Taiwan’s version of Wing Chun maybe…

• Tiger Crane Combination. This is commonly seen throughout SE Asia albeit in various shades. Will post another article of this relating to the late GM. Ang Liang Huat.

• Monkey Crane Combination. I think this was also taught in West Malaysia.

• Long Limb / Short Limb Crane. Interesting because these are regular terminologies used in most Fuzhou Cranes.

• Crane from BaiHe Shi or Temple. In Singapore, you could find a couple of “BaiHe” temples but I’ve not witness any kind of Kung Fu done there. Maybe behind closed doors…

• Plum Blossom Crane. I got some video clips of this Crane – very interesting stuff. Many ways remind me of the Crane that Ven. Sek (Shaolin) taught. Personally, the most “Cantonese” of all the Fukien/Fuzhou Cranes.

• Flying Crane Long Fist. This style stands out because they traced their origin to Ngo Mui instead of the Fang family. Most Cranes would quote either Fang senior (the father) or Fang Chi Niang (the daughter) as founder.

Regards.

Firehawk4
08-08-2006, 07:07 PM
That is alot of Cranes Eric . Eric have you ever herd of a system called Hup Gun, Phoenix (Hong Nnan) that Sek Ko Sam new do you know anything about this art ? Robert Bayne

Eric Ling
08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
That is alot of Cranes Eric . Eric have you ever herd of a system called Hup Gun, Phoenix (Hong Nnan) that Sek Ko Sam new do you know anything about this art ? Robert Bayne

Yes, know of 2.

One in Hong Kong. Rare style using quite a bit of “bat stance”. That’s the one where you sit on the floor. Like Dog’s style boxing.

Another was a “Fong Gar Kao” taught in SE Asia. I will post some materials on this style later.

Not sure if it’s related to Ven. Sek.

Ven. Sek taught a lot of different arts to different people. Even today, we are still uncovering stuff that he taught over the years in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.

My chief interest in Ven. Sek Shaolin is the Lohan skills and Lotus Boxing.

Got 2 pics here showing my student in Lohan and Lotus posture.

Pic 1 – Posture from Lohan 1st form.
Pic 2 – Lohan Application from the same form.
Pic 3 – This is what we call “turning flower hand” in Lotus Boxing.

Regards.

Eric Ling
08-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Kismet,

Remember this;

“He who calls others Tchee Sin can start counting his days” – a very old wise Chinese saying.

Got some pics from Chow Gar Tong Long’s “Poisonous Snake” stick form for you.

MU, MU, MU. Carlsberg…….ooops wrong mantra..

Regards.

Ps. You know what, I would like my signature to go like “I am not drunk. Just enormously thirsty”…..

htowndragon
08-09-2006, 07:36 PM
cv5.jpg (64.3 KB, 58 views)

hey eric

did you see the article content on that cover in China Fist that said "
Tsai Li Fo Zhuan Da Gui Lao, is that supposed to be cLF fights gwai lo's?

haha.

anyways, can you email me the entire Hap Gar article?

jason.liao@mail.utexas.edu

thanks.

its funnys about martial arts and all, a lot of people in china/taiwanese communities see kung fu people as no better than "enforcers" for the triads. but then again the chinese co-existed in a "hei bai liang dao" black and white are one society "gray area" if you will, for a long time

my grandpa on my moms side was green gang, still around. left china for taiwan when communists took over and were after him for assasinating officials. now he does calligraphy, collects stamps, takes walks hella early in the morning. and this guy used to be a assassin. whats funny was he became chief of police of taiwan and his best friend was the head honcho of the green gang.

he taught me calligraphy, and tells my mom to give me money hahah

anyways, i love that old man, and chinese in general have a different perspective of "mafia types" of people. at least if the ones who have been around them.

kismet
08-11-2006, 04:29 AM
Hi Kismet,

Remember this;

“He who calls others Tchee Sin can start counting his days” – a very old wise Chinese saying.

Got some pics from Chow Gar Tong Long’s “Poisonous Snake” stick form for you.

MU, MU, MU. Carlsberg…….ooops wrong mantra..

Regards.

Ps. You know what, I would like my signature to go like “I am not drunk. Just enormously thirsty”…..

We have a few wise saying about MU supporters...but they're not very nice :) , haha.

Thanks for the pic (you seem to have a treasure chest of stuff), any ideas who the person is? Looks like GM Yip Shui's picture in the background 2nd from the right, not sure though.

Eric Ling
08-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi Kismet and all,

I see in your profile that you’re only 28.

Certain wisdom only comes with age….clichéd but so true.

To me, this is the great divide, those who support MU and those who don’t.

Yes, that pic is taken from GM Yip Shui’s line. Got some more for you when I find them.

For now,

Pic 1 - “Nan Chang Pai”, another seldom/seen style. Got a few write-ups about this and they appear “non-mainstream” in their fighting strategies.

Pic 2 – PM elbow skills. These guys are 7 Stars. Remember watching 7 Stars when I was a kid in a place called “9 Dragons Hall” or “Kao Loong Tong” in Singapore. Their 2 men sets are really “tight”, if you catch my drift.

Pic 3 - Crane technique from Ven. Sek’s Shaolin. Ven. Sek taught the complete 5 Animals syllabus with all sort of permutations. Tiger/Crane, Tiger/Dragon, Tiger/Snake..you know what I mean.

DRleungjan
08-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Eric,

I have a question about the third pic #3 from your last post: was that a frontal chop that he threw or were those fingers to the throat? That was the third pic in the sequence (shaolim). Just curious. Thanks in advanced.

DRleungjan:)

Eric Ling
08-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi DRleungjan and all,

The Shaolin Crane technique is executed using the “tiger mouth”.

I’ve been getting some requests to post old Eagle Claw Kung Fu materials.

What is wrong with you people?? :D :D :D

Wrong bird, not the Eagle, the Crane the Crane………:cool: :cool: :cool:

Well you like your coffee and I like my Carlsberg….ooops tea I mean…..

Some Eagle Claw pictures:-

1) Ying Chow Fanzi Men in Hong Kong.

2) Shantung Ying Chow .

3) The “elusive” Southern Eagle Claw.

Eric Ling
08-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Some one raised the question of Lama, Hap Gar and Tibetian White Crane in another thread….

Well, this topic was discussed in a 1976 article in “Real Kung Fu”.

All 3 styles are derived from the same source “Lion Roar” which is the “martial component” of MiZhong or Tibetian Buddhism.

The article also talked about the “outer 8 styles” and “inner 8 styles”.

Hap Gar and Tibetian White Crane come under “the outer 8 styles” and Lama Pai belongs to the “inner 8 styles”.

Again, Hap Gar is described here as a style with no forms; only 16 hands. I got few articles talking about this “no form” aspect of Hap Gar.

Any Hap Gar stylists on-board; care to elaborate?

Regards.

htowndragon
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
not officially a hap gar stylist, i learned a little bit from GM David Chin (Chin Dai Wei, Harry Ng's disciple) and will go learn more from him later, but i know that they have in his style 12 long hands and 12 short hands which are mixed into fighting combos. the forms are just linked combos

Hendrik
08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi Eric,

I have a question about the third pic #3 from your last post: was that a frontal chop that he threw or were those fingers to the throat? That was the third pic in the sequence (shaolim). Just curious. Thanks in advanced.

DRleungjan:)

Those are my Shao Lin sigung's technics. he is a true traceable shao lin martial monk. But his art DNA is not similar to WCK.

http://shaolinwushu.tripod.com/sekkohsam.htm#

regards

Eric Ling
08-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Those are my Shao Lin sigung's technics. he is a true traceable shao lin martial monk. But his art DNA is not similar to WCK.

http://shaolinwushu.tripod.com/sekkohsam.htm#

regards

Hi Hendrik,

We are kung fu brothers.

I started kung fu training, some 30 over years ago, in Shiong Lim Si, Toa Payoh Singapore.

My Sifu was kheng Huan. Got most of my basic Shaolim there.

Many years later, I met Sifu Chong Beng Joo and trained under him. This was at the SAFRA facilities, a stone throw away from Shiong Lim Si.

So now that we’ve established our relationship, you gotta be nice to me…..:p :p :p

Peace brother.

Eric Ling
08-14-2006, 01:59 AM
not officially a hap gar stylist, i learned a little bit from GM David Chin (Chin Dai Wei, Harry Ng's disciple) and will go learn more from him later, but i know that they have in his style 12 long hands and 12 short hands which are mixed into fighting combos. the forms are just linked combos

Hi,

Is this the same David Chin with the book out on "Tibetian White Crane" or something like that?

Thanks.

Shaolin Master
08-14-2006, 02:15 AM
If you studied under Sifu Chong....then....

I must call you brother or uncle at least :-)

Eric Ling
08-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Hi Shaolin Master,

Brother, Brother and not uncle.:p :p :p

I am only 47 years young remember?

Hmmmm, getting to be quite a little family reunion…..

Maybe we should all meet in Singapore sometimes?

I will buy the Char Kway Tiao and fried Hokkien Mee.

And Carlsberg of course hahaha :D :D :D

Shaolin Master
08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Big brother....:p

I go to Singapore every 3 or 4 months....so definately next time....see how many of us can hook up....why only Char kway teow...what happen to chilli/pepper crabs...going cheap ah.

Which years/period did you train with Sifu Chong, as you must have learnt his nanquanbeitui and yizhimei #2 :D

Eric Ling
08-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Big brother....:p

I go to Singapore every 3 or 4 months....so definately next time....see how many of us can hook up....why only Char kway teow...what happen to chilli/pepper crabs...going cheap ah.

Which years/period did you train with Sifu Chong, as you must have learnt his nanquanbeitui and yizhimei #2 :D

Which year??? Gotta think back a little....:D :D :D so maybe I'm really getting old..

Nanquanbeitui, lotus and lohan and the Japanese looking sword were the training I got. Actually Ah Joo was more into sparring during his SAFRA days. 80% of the time, sparring drills and actual sparring.

Initially, he hesitated taking me in because at that point in time, I had already spent some 10 years with Sifu Teo Choon Teck (San Cheen Do) Tai Chor. If you are familiar with Singapore’s Wulin scenario, you must have heard about the spats between Ah Joo and Ah Teck.

Anyhow, I know that Ah Joo went back to the re-furbished SLS after SAFRA. I was informed about his passing when I was in the States…..

Well if we really do meet in Singapore, I would like to intro you to a bunch of Shaolim veterans who could tell you details about Ven. Sek life and kung fu. One of them, Philips Chan was a disciple of “tien kao” or “heavenly dog”, not sure if he’s still around. Philips' mom was the “caretaker” of Ven Sek during the early days in SLS and until his passing.

Chilli crabs / fried sotongs / rojak / murtabak / lontongs ….. okay now I am hungry.

Regards bro….

htowndragon
08-14-2006, 08:02 PM
ling lao shi,

it is harry ng's (ng yim ming, wu ran ming in mandarin)'s disciple. he wrote a book on hop gar with michael staples, michael staples also wrote a book on white crane. he is the jung moon yan of Hop ga in the US. he is in north carolina right now

Gru Bianca
08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey,.. If you guys meet in Singapore let me know, may be via PM?! I'm in Singapore too even not of your same Kungfu family still a KungFu student... Wu Lin Yi Jia ma? 武林一家吗?

Regards,
Luca

Eric Ling
08-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Hi Luca,

Yes, you're absolutely right. Wu Lin must be Yi Jia (if not, I am quitting).

So when we meet, you are responsible for the beer.:p

And Htowndragon, thanks for that info.

BTW, please call me Eric or Ling. My name is not "lao shi".... too young to be "lao".

Regards.

htowndragon
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
im taiwanese, u know the whole confucian thing...

btw dont u guys in singapore speak a similar dialect to taiwanese/fukienese? i heard some background talking in that video

if youve ever seen the singapore movie "xiao hai bu hwai" u have people mixing up everything saying stuff like "Dont be such a Gei-Buh (nosy in taiwanese/fukienese)"

Gru Bianca
08-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Eric,

would Chinese tea do as well? :) Just kidding

I'll take care of the beer :D

Regards

Eric Ling
08-16-2006, 04:49 AM
“im taiwanese, u know the whole confucian thing..”

Sorry, if I came across rude in any way.

Still, I rather hear “Lin Da Ke” instead of “Lao Shi” or “Shih Fu”.

Don’t think I’m ready for either.

That clip was actually shot here in Sarawak and that’s me speaking Fukien in the back.

Singaporeans Chinese dialects are very diverse; Fukien, Cantonese, Teochew, Heng Hua, Hakka, Fuzhou, Hainan etc etc…

The Fukien spoken there should be close to Taiwan’s; they are mainly MingNam and Amoy.

Here in Sarawak, the Fukien is usually Chao An or Chawan to the locals.

So I got to switch back and forth from Fukien and Mandarin when teaching. Chawan Fukien is not a 100% like MingNam's.

Unless when I am teaching White Crane. Many terminologies are phonetic so I pronounced them in Fuzhou and explain in Mandarin.

I know, it’s crazy.

Luca, tea is okay….if we are eating moon cakes, tim sum or Bak Kut Teh.

Chilli crabs? Got to have the Tigers and Carlbergs – written in the eating bible, cannot be wrong…..not kidding.:D

htowndragon
08-16-2006, 05:59 PM
haha no its fine i just wanted to show some respect, im only 18 and to me your supposed to be "lao".

sorry haha

Gru Bianca
08-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Chili crab??? Well then we go with Tiger :D

Bakuteh also an excellent idea :D

While waiting for it.....

Regards:)

Hendrik
08-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Hendrik,

We are kung fu brothers.

I started kung fu training, some 30 over years ago, in Shiong Lim Si, Toa Payoh Singapore.

My Sifu was kheng Huan. Got most of my basic Shaolim there.

Many years later, I met Sifu Chong Beng Joo and trained under him. This was at the SAFRA facilities, a stone throw away from Shiong Lim Si.

So now that we’ve established our relationship, you gotta be nice to me…..:p :p :p

Peace brother.

Hi Eric brother,

My sifu late Ven. Sek Fa Chan in Indonesia is a student of Ven. Sek Ko Sam.

Last year when I was back in Indonesia, my monk siheng, Ven Sek Ting Hiong told me about Shao Lin find Sigung's record....etc . It is great to know about Sigung's story.

Somewhere in this forum you ask me about the art I learn.

Well, I study alots of different stuffs but master none. sad. sad.

I study Wing Chun under late sifu Cho Hong Choy, I was a member of Penang Kyokushin Kai under Late sifu Joe Chin Tat Ching, I also study Yang Tai Ji's fajing with Sifu Pan Yee-Rou ( taiwan senior push hand champion) .... learn lots of stuffs from friends.... from Muay thai to white crane eng chun... Yee Chuan.....

Now a day, I dont do martial art since I am a buddhist with precepts, but concentrate on observation/study of : Soong (softern the physical) Ching ( quiet down the mind or being in silence) and Zee Ran (Dao mimic nature).

The other day, when you mention about sifu Ku and Cho family WCK. Well, there is a Chek Lik (mandarin, or tear up the force) or Hua Jing stuffs.... where explicitly it looks like force against force but what happen is at the contact the incoming force vector were disolved and redirect. Those are my sifu level of stuffs... just for your infor..

peace

Eric Ling
08-17-2006, 12:40 AM
“where explicitly it looks like force against force but what happen is at the contact the incoming force vector were disolved and redirect. Those are my sifu level of stuffs... just for your infor..”

Hi Hendrik Su Teh (I assume I am older than you in the Shaolim family),

I normally don’t do this in open forums but what you just described is an integral part of Whooping Crane.

Look at my White Crane Su Hia clips again especially MingHe Babulien. Every little nuance in that form is an attempt to dissolve and redirect.

That is why the way we do it looks “weird” – not hard not soft and some movements are incomprehensible if one tries to interpret in the conventional sense.

Remember also that we say this in CKF; Circular jin neutralizes linear jin but linear jin penetrates circular jin.

This was the theme that Master Ku and I spent one afternoon polishing.

Take care my brother and may peace be with you always.

Regards.

htowndragon
08-17-2006, 07:49 PM
hey mr ling,
is the wu lin tien ti board still going on?

and i remember something on that board a while ago about a wing chung guy, student of leung sheung, who mixed his hakka boxing with WC, do you know his name?

the thing is my "bai-ba shiong di" david, who is student of kenneth chung (leung sheung disciple) is interested in seeing the outcome of that, or at least who he is..

Eric Ling
08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
hey mr ling,
is the wu lin tien ti board still going on?

and i remember something on that board a while ago about a wing chung guy, student of leung sheung, who mixed his hakka boxing with WC, do you know his name?

the thing is my "bai-ba shiong di" david, who is student of kenneth chung (leung sheung disciple) is interested in seeing the outcome of that, or at least who he is..

Hi htowndragon,

Wu Lin Tien Ti is still running but I stopped playing a part a while back.

The Hakka / Wing Chun thingy is actually a clip contributed by a good friend, Evert.

Don’t really have much info about this except that the footage was shot in Hong Kong some years back.

Just in case you did not read my message in the other thread, I am currently working on building another website.

More of an on-line library model with downloadable old magazines, books and video clips.

Got a few good friends working together to consolidate all our MA resources.

Aside from presenting the books/magazines and videos in my collection, I really want to travel throughout this region to interview Masters and their descendants and include them in my new site.

This is my way of helping to “preserve” some old styles.

Hopefully I get others along the way to chip into this project…..

Including a picture of the skin mock-up of the site. (again....sorry)

Regards.:)

htowndragon
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
let us know when it is up!

my name is jason liao btw, currently in college and hoping to get enough money one day to buy all those books from you.. :D

Firehawk4
08-18-2006, 01:56 AM
That is a good thing that you are trying to preserve the old Chinese arts . Everytime i read alot in these Kung Fu Magazines in the U.S.A. alot of it is some kind of Wush or something from the modern day Shaolin Temple stuff , I dont read any of it i just skip it and go to the real stuff . I know a Hakka Sifu in Hawaii who i use to write to all the time he knows all the kinds of Kung Fu that comes in and out of Hawaii , he use to send me these video tapes of these different kinds of Kung Fu . There is not much kung fu here in Dayton Ohio ,U.S.A. but Wing Chun that i am going to learn . Robert Bayne

jack
08-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Eric

Great posts, great pics & great comments. :)