PDA

View Full Version : tan sau different way to apply

Steeeve
08-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Howdy Guys

Whats ur different way to do tan sau in applications...?

I mean we learned tan sau at the beginners stage in Siu Nim tau and so on in the Muk Yong ....

Whats the version of tan sau u have in ur wing chun method.....?

a tan sau for jam the attack(unbalanced) ....a tan sau cut in the attack(redirect) ...a tan sau for drop in the attack(open the gate).... I talk about the way to use the tan sau

Thank Guys...

Im just a beginner in WC ....but train it for long time...

Steeve

Vajramusti
08-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Whats ur different way to do tan sau in application-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depends----

joy chaudhuri

Steeeve
08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Sifu Joy

Dont be Shy:) (joke joy)

depend on the attack....

basically How much kind of tan do u teach for applications...and from where came this variations of tan ....just take siu nim tau ...we have a lot of variation of the tan sau....

Steeve

Liddel
08-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Personally, i have three Tan Sau all found in SLT.

The three Tans are almost identicle other than the height and intention.

In all cases the elbow acts as the main support and i always apply a torque motion to my forearm along with twisting motion from the horse.
Stepping, as well as application (as you put it jamming or cutting etc), depends on the specific type of attack.

The touch point is mostly aimed at the wrist area all though i have certain uses that call for the Tan to be pressed apon the elbow.

Ive noticed other VT schools count a 4th Tan Sao at the end of the SLT form, the action following Bong Sao before the palm.
But i call it Jor Sao, and it has a different purpose to Tan Sao.

Whats ur different way to do tan sau in applications steeeve...?

tjwingchun
08-07-2006, 03:16 AM
I only have 1 Tan Sau, using the structure from the first section and third section of Siu Lim Tao, but when using the Tan Sau in application it can take what I call more of 'Biu Gee' movement using the finger as the direction of the energy as in Tan Sau, but using the structure with the palm vertical rather than horizontal, this utilises advanced understanding of body-shift without the need for a full turning of the stance, keeping the energy firing laterally across the incoming attack with the strong elbow structure.

Otherwise the other Tan Sau positions in Siu Lim Tao I regard simply as high hand positions from where the next techniques would be fired from, and the Tan Sau position after the Bong Sau as the first form protection of the high elbow, telling us not to leave it high but to relax it down once used.

Not sure if I have painted a decent enough picture of what I am talking about it would be best if I could put it on video, I will try after I come back from a trip at the end of the week.

In essence I use the Tan when the attack is coming high on the outside of an arm, low outside a Gan, high inside a Pak, low inside a Gum, and the other arm dealing with the next situation change, ie. either stopping a follow up attack or striking if nothing is threatening.

But got to go to a wedding, not mine lol, catch you all again soon