PDA

View Full Version : A site with articles on tai chi

Mr. Nemo
06-22-2001, 08:26 AM
Some interesting stuff. Plenty to read here:

tai chi articles (http://web.singnet.com.sg/~limttk/index.htm)

Ky-Fi
06-23-2001, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Mr. Nemo. I already had his site book marked, and I think his writings are excellent. In particular, I think his section "On Internal Strength And Internal/External Martial Arts" gives really great defintions on the whole "internal/external--styles/jings" question.

wujidude
06-24-2001, 06:43 PM
If you'll note, Peter Lim has not updated that site since 1997. He also no longer responds to e-mail inquiries about taijiquan history or technique. The story is that a certain burly British expatriate living in Malaysia went down to "exchange information" with Mr. Lim, who claimed to be an inside-the-door disciple of a master of the "Old Yang Style" (not Erle Montaigue's fantasy). Mr. Sutton has a rather extensive background in the martial arts, including baguazhang and Yang and Chen-style taijiquan. Mr. Lim's degree of skill did not appear to be up to his claims. The accuracy of Mr. Lim's translation of excerpts from Chinese-language books, and his statements of the history of taijiquan, also do not consistently hold up, according to a number of other Chinese-language practitioners. The Yang-style bias is apparent throughout his writing.

Nevertheless, for those of us without access to English-language translations of these writings, Mr. Lim's site is at least a hint of the depth of taijiquan.