PDA

View Full Version : Michael Louison Vid Clips

Ernie
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
http://www.wingchunart.co.uk/clips.html

had a chance to work with Michael Louison many year ago , guy was just smooth as butter , allways enjoed watching him work [ no greco roman shoulder powered grab and climb force on force chi sau ]

plus i enjoyed his coaching style hands on feeding his guys

real gem of a guy

check out his clips ,,, enjoy

Vajramusti
08-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Ernie- I actually looked at a video of his some years ago. One of his students
is a friend of mine- but i have lost touch with him. Good folks.
Joy Chaudhuri

k gledhill
08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
clips not working for me ? tried safari now works ...

YungChun
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah, none of the links seem to be working there... :(

sihing
08-08-2006, 06:52 PM
There's like 4 clips of Micheal's stuff up on youtube, try there fellas, just search under Mike's name..

J

YungChun
08-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Didn't get to see any clips from that site but I saw some from YouTube..

Made me think of something:

I notice that many or most folks doing Chi Sao at different levels and styles, etc, but very few who actually put much if any real power into strikes and have a tendency to "pose" and apply "touch me kill me" moves and often a lack of fan sao..

Not accusing this person in particular and there's no telling what goes on when the camera is off..

But IMO Chi Sao needs to be done with some power, not force against force or bad and sloppy moves but IMO folks should be verifying their moves, body alignment, timing, etc., by using at least enough energy/power to move the other person--break their structure, balance, etc. or actually hit them.

The body mechanics and attributes, timing and position used for "no power " moves will often not translate well to powerful moves that are needed for application and development of powerful attacks, IMO..

sihing
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Didn't get to see any clips from that site but I saw some from YouTube..

Made me think of something:

I notice that many or most folks doing Chi Sao at different levels and styles, etc, but very few who actually put much if any real power into strikes and have a tendency to "pose" and apply "touch me kill me" moves and often a lack of fan sao..

Not accusing this person in particular and there's no telling what goes on when the camera is off..

But IMO Chi Sao needs to be done with some power, not force against force or bad and sloppy moves but IMO folks should be verifying their moves, body alignment, timing, etc., by using at least enough energy/power to move the other person--break their structure, balance, etc. or actually hit them.

The body mechanics and attributes, timing and position used for "no power " moves will often not translate well to powerful moves that are needed for application and development of powerful attacks, IMO..

I wasn't going say anything, but I have noticed the same thing. Lately, and since my introduction to a different method from what I was used to, I've noticed big time differences in what I now observe when looking at vids of WC in action and/or chi sau exchanges. Most that are performing in these vids, IMO, have no connection of there bodies power points (most, like I was, use upper body power and strength, instead of connecting everything together and using more of what they have to use), exibit little forward spring energy towards their opponents center, and chase hands like crazy, using fast hands as a way to exibit skill, not realizing that control of the opponent is the thing to strive for when applying WC.

With these Micheal Louison vids, I could see his structure behind his body and movements and that he had total control, but it was also evident that he was giving his students chances to react so that they could learn. I do this also when teaching. It's not the best way to maintain ones skills but I think it is necessary to do when teaching others and guiding them through the learning process.

Just my loonies worth...

YungChun
08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
but it was also evident that he was giving his students chances to react so that they could learn. I do this also when teaching. It's not the best way to maintain ones skills but I think it is necessary to do when teaching others and guiding them through the learning process.

I agree there is a time to go slow when introducing moves or whatever.. I was brought up with a lot of contact, first in karate and then later when I was learning Chi Sao we used a lot of power, or "release of energy" compared to what I see most folks doing. How many folks have seen students go "airborn" from a palm in Chi Sao..? LOL

These days I still try to work on powerful moves to the extent my partner is cool with... IMO it takes a lot of work to get good at making "explosive" power available with the right timing and position, especially when dealing with resistance--something else you don't see much of.

Be nice to see more folks using explosive power in their moves rather than the "touch me kill me" stuff and poses.. :p

stricker
08-12-2006, 06:32 AM
i got the vids to work :p

ernie you need to tell him that hes put the wrong kind of slash on some of the links. if you click on the link and fix the url so it uses / you can get them to work.

Ernie
08-12-2006, 07:07 AM
i got the vids to work :p

ernie you need to tell him that hes put the wrong kind of slash on some of the links. if you click on the link and fix the url so it uses / you can get them to work.

Jon
i have not spoken with ML since the late 90"s perhaps one of his students will pass on the good word :D