PDA

View Full Version : Ha Say Fu

Dark panther
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know anything about HA Say Fu ? It is a style said to have come before cantonese Hung ga. Grandmaster Wing Lam teaches it and has a disciple in South Carolina that has the only Ha Say Fu only curriculum currently being taught on the east coast. The style emphasizes the Kim Yum Ma stance and is very powerful.

shuaichiao
08-08-2006, 07:00 PM
I know a little of the style. It's 5 animal based and really old. The forms I know are very long and repetative and are done in a very small area. You'll see a lot of techniques that are common in other shaolin based arts. The dragon form has a lot of techniques in common with ba gua.

David Jamieson
08-09-2006, 06:36 AM
It's definitely an interesting style. I think it's been referred to as old hung gar. I've seen pics of a couple of dudes unrelated to WL performing old hung gar and surprisingly, it kind of looks like the ha say fu stuff.

But pictures don't reveal all that much except for a tendency to do HG stuff while in a yee gee kim yung ma instead of the more common sei ping dai ma as is found in the popular hung gar of today.

as an aside, i learned the snake set out of a same named style at a different school. It's an interesting flavour of kungfu.