PDA

View Full Version : Part time teachers

SanHeChuan
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm interested in hearing what experience and advice anyone has on teaching part time.

My goal is to teach MA on a limited basis, instead of getting a part time job.
I figure that I'd make about 300-600 a month with a part time job, so I'd like to find a way to make a comparable amount through teaching MA.

I don't want to build up a school. I just want to show up some where, twice a week, teach for 2 hours, and go home.

I'm brain storming on type of places I could possible teach; MA School, College Campus, YMCA, Gym, primary school, Church, park, ...

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of teaching?

GLW
08-10-2006, 09:25 AM
You need to look at a lot of factors.

First, How many times a week and how long for classes. Then ou need to decide how much you want/can charge for classes.

So...you have a dollar amount that you want to make teaching...but I would say don't quit your part time or day job just yet. If you don't have enough money to make it for several months without working, you have to keep working...period.

You have to guage what the market will bear as well. For example, a school with really nice facilities AND a good teacher will HAVE to charge more for classes - the rent has to be paid. So you have to see what the market is.

Then you have to decide if you want to do a flat fee for renting a part time space or a percentage. At the beginning, the percentage looks better. If you have 2 students, you pay little...and you still get money. As you grow, the percentage never goes away and the payoff for the place you use is that they carried you for the lean times and now get paid back when you grow. A mix of the two is also possible. Say a percentage for number up X and then a flat fee after that or something.

Finding a place...well, SOME Churches can work...they have to be open minded. EVangelical folks tend not to go in for Kung Fu and even less for Taijiquan and Qi Gong.

You have to consider equipment. In a place like that, dummies, bags, etc... are put them up take them down at the end of class propositions. You also need to look at of all things - ceiling height. Most places have 8 to 10 ft. ceilings. Ok for retail, church, parish hall, rec center type of thing.

Now pull out the Broadsword for a person who is 6'1" or taller...or worse yet, staff, Kwan Dao, spear...and you are in the realm of destroying ceiling tiles...and having to pay to fix them.

So...you want to do $600 per month. Factor in say...$10 per person for space...as a straw man. So your part is 12 students @ $50 per month...but now you have 12 * 10 for space...120...3 more 15--$750 in - $600 to you and $150 to the place....and you need 15 students to make that....

And how much space do 15 students need? Depends on your style....Long fist is one thing...Wing Chun is something else.

Or you can go the route of a percentage. So if the place takes 1/3, you would need to bring in $900 to make $600. That would be 18 students at $50 per month.

You need to also consider liability insurance. Some places will require it. Not to big of a deal...you can get some for just you and what you teach for around $150 to $200 per year.

And you have to also remember Income Tax and such. You DO have to declare $7200 per year of income and file. And you would have to do withholding or set up a self-emplyed account....

So, basically, what I would say is FIRST, do the MATH. Know what your expenses are and what your goal for income is. I have known people who have opened schools took on a lease and had a target income range...but you have to realize times of day.

Day time....you can draw on mainly housewives..so Taijiquan watered down will bring in money. Afternoons - an after school kids class- but you may need a way to get them there and a holding policy for after class and until the parents can come pick them up. So...you are left with adult serious classes being mainly evening...

Monday - Thursday - Friday classes always have trouble until things are established...people go out on Fridays.

Then you have Saturdays...too early and you have no one. Too late and you have no one too. Sunday - puts you at odds with church going folk....

So the amount of time you can actually have classes is like 6 PM to 9PM M-TH and 9AM - 1PM Sat and MAYBE 3PM to 5PM on Sunday.

You CAN do the park thing...but be prepared to do discounts due to rain, drop in classes due to heat, cold, whatever....and gawkers as well.